Monks of War group now accepting officers

I am not against including masonic organizations that claim to have some connections with the Medieval orders.

But you have to be careful to not open a can of worms. There are plenty of groups using these names and symbols, sometimes without any apparent reason. Some are esoteric, others just fun. There was a proto-fascist Neo-Templar group in early 20th century Germany, and there is even a Mexican drug cartel named after them.

I am not against including masonic organizations that claim to have some connections with the Medieval orders.

But you have to be careful to not open a can of worms. There are plenty of groups using these names and symbols, sometimes without any apparent reason. Some are esoteric, others just fun. There was a proto-fascist Neo-Templar group in early 20th century Germany, and there is even a Mexican drug cartel named after them.

What if I include in the description that out-lawed activities and organizations will be excluded?

What if I include in the description that out-lawed activities and organizations will be excluded?

What if you specify that only orders with a clear line of descent from the medieval orders can be waymarked in this category?

*That makes reviewing and posting easy, AND it also does away with every organization that uses these names and symbols but that have NO CONNECTION to the medieval orders, lawful (the vast majority) AND unlawful (a minority).

*It keeps the can of worms closed, and creates certainty in the minds of waymarkers who need to know what they can waymark, and in the minds of reviewers who need to know what is allowed in the category -- always a good thing!

*It also prevents a possible redundancy issue with Masonic Lodges and Temples and all the confusion around freemasonry.

I believe we are getting away from the central core of the category I voted to create: Medieval orders that have survived and transformed themselves into modern charitable orders of today. I think your initial category idea was sound, and clear, and very VERY cool. I do not want to add groups that just CALL themselves Knights, with no connection to the orders just to expand the possibilities of waymarks.

But if expansion is a concern, then why not just go ahead and allow ALL groups, organizations, and etc that use knights in their name, or that use medieval symbols (for whatever purpose), or that dress up like Knights or that preserve chivalric customs, or that joust in the manner of medieval knights?

It's okay to have a narrow category, as long as it is not underprevalent. And since some of the old medieval orders that have survived across the centuries and are operative charities today do works all over the world, AND since those worldwide works of charity are waymarkable in the category as it is now, why expand to organizations that have no connection to the orders at all (except they pinched their names and symbols)?

Now, I don't get it.

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

In a short internet search I have found 2 medieval orders that have transformed themselves to operate in the modern era as charitable orders in the US: (1) Knights of Malta and (2) Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem. If I have a block of time free today, I'll look for more. :)

These are international orders, and have multiple local chapters in cities across the US, each with a home church, and each with multiple works of charity in their regions that can be waymarked.

And they operate in Canada too -- and in Europe, and beyond. :) So many possibilities for waymarks :) and COOL history too :)

Here is the link for Order of Malta map showing locations. They do not seem to be west of Kansas. Order of Malta

There are three associations of the order in the US. The one you found is called the American Association, but is indeed only active in the eastern part. Then there's a Western Association in the West and a Federal Associations with locations all over the country. There is also a Canadian Association.

So I have added this now to the category description.

Contemporary organizations allowed in this category must be included in the list of independent and semi-independent orders certified by the International Commission for Orders of Chivalry. Explicitly excluded from this category are contemporary organizations related to the Freemasons as there is already a category for Masonic Temples.

As an aid in finding suitable locations outside of Europe and the Near East the following list of qualifying contemporary organizations active in other regions of the world is provided :

Order of Malta

Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem.

Order of Saint John

And remember, you can find the web page here : http://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=01b30b3b-4ca4-4b7d-8c20-3d41ee794409&gid=6&exp=True

We just today came to the realization that St. John Ambulance is a foundation of the Order of St. John, a direct descendant of The Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of St. John of Jerusalem, of Rhodes and of Malta. Here is a good history of the Order of St. John, which outlines their descendancy. It touches on the original three charitable Foundations of the modern Order, the St John of Jerusalem Eye Hospital Foundation, the St. John Ambulance Brigade and the St. John Ambulance Association, the latter two of which were amalgamated in 1974 to form the present St. John Ambulance Foundation.

Given this, I trust that St. John Ambulance outlets, wherever they may be, will be acceptable in this category, will they not?

Unfortunately this doesn't help the US, but we note that St. John Ambulance is active in other British Empire countries, such as Australia and New Zealand.

In spite of the name, St. John Ambulance doesn't spend their days careening around in ambulances, but instead provides first aid training, first aid products, disaster response and other community services.

fab51a52-e9e5-44a6-974a-c79e3342a86f.png

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters

Given this, I trust that St. John Ambulance outlets, wherever they may be, will be acceptable in this category, will they not?

Yes, they are included.

Cool, now we just have a 292 kilometre drive to get to the nearest one... :lostsignal:

Them's Texas-style road trips, friend!! Saddle up and let's go!! I'll bring spicy snacks :)

If St John's Ambulance did something in accordance with its mission closer to you, then thats waymarkable in the category too :)

Trivia: the 10th Doctor's TARDIS has a St John's ambulance emblem on it :) I'll have to go back through my London Pix - I'm sure I have a St John shield I spotted at a hospital in Westminster that we walked by.

Moving to Peer Review. Copying the category description here for retrieval in case the vote fails.

Description:

Identifying sites related to the history, remains and works of military chivalric orders and other warrior classes having spiritual influences and roots in Medieval history such as the Samurais.

Expanded Description:

Military chivalric orders were originally established as Catholic religious societies during the medieval Crusades for protection of Christians against violent persecution of the Islamic conquests (623–) in the Holy Land and the Iberian Peninsula, as well as by Baltic paganism in Eastern Europe.

Most members, often titled Knights, were and still are laymen, and not prelates, yet cooperating with the clergy, sometimes even taking religious vows such as poverty, chastity, and obedience, according to monastic ideals. As such, it was in the military orders that the Medieval concept of chivalry reached its apogee in an exceptionate fusion under exceptionate circumstances of military discipline and Christian virtues.

Prominent examples include the Knights Hospitaller, and the Knights Templar in Outremer, as well as the Teutonic Knights in the Baltics.

A few of the institutions survived into honorific and/or charitable organisations, including the papal orders of knighthood and are active around the world.

Samurai were the military nobility and officer caste of medieval and early-modern Japan. The philosophies of Buddhism and Zen, and to a lesser extent Confucianism and Shinto, influenced the samurai culture.

Instructions for Posting a Legacy of Medieval Spiritual Warriors Waymark:

Items which are waymarked in this category are always publically accessible and always on permanant display at a fixed location. Apart from Samurai items, the orders included in this category are listed in the following Wikipedia article ; en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_order_(monastic_society).

Contemporary organizations allowed in this category must be included in the list of independent and semi-independent orders certified by the International Commission for Orders of Chivalry. Explicitly excluded from this category are contemporary organizations related to the Freemasons as there is already a category for Masonic Temples.

As an aid in finding suitable locations outside of Europe and the Near East the following list of qualifying contemporary organizations active in other regions of the world is provided :

Order of Malta

Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem.

Order of Saint John (including St. John Ambulance locations)

Items to be waymarked may include :

Objects on permanent, public display (such as in museums)

Locations of existing or former structures built or inhabited by the orders

Emblems of the orders

Locations representing acts of charity (*see below for detailed requirements)

Related Battlefields

Related locations of historical events

Statues of member knights/samurais

Memorials, monuments and historical markers mentioning an order, member of an order, or a structure inhabited or built by an order or a samurai

Street names referring to an order, member of an order, or a structure inhabited or built by an order or a samurai

Metro stations named after an order, member of an order, or a structure inhabited or built by an order or a samurai

*When Waymarking locations related to acts of charity these must be permanant structures sheltering a benefitting organization or some kind of permanent marker or plaque in recognition of the act. If no marker or plaque is present, there must be at minimum a web link describing the relationship between the donor organization and the site. The text establishing the relationship should be copied to the long description along with an indication of the source.

You must include at least one good quality photo personally taken by the waymarker indicating the object being waymarked.

The description must clearly describe the connection of this site to the relavant spiritual warrior group/order.

The waymark name should name the object being waymarked followed by a dash, the closest named place, followed by a comma, and the state/province/country. (Ex : Rue du Temple - Paris, France)

Instructions for Visiting a Waymark in this Category:

Posters must have physically visited the location. Uploading an original photo is strongly encouraged.

Category Settings:

Waymarks can be added to this category

New waymarks of this category are reviewed by the category group prior to being published

Category is not visible in the directory

Variables:

Name of Military Order

Link documenting charitable acts

I am looking forward to see this category become active. Very well done.

BTW: I know a lot of "Temples" and "Rue du Temple" in France that have no connection at all to the Knights Templars.

I don't know about the rest of France, but in the area closest to where I live, the term "temple" usually refers to a Calvinist church, to distinguish them from the Catholic "églises". Under this aspect, the "Rue du Temple" might not be the best choice for an example of the naming conventions.

BTW: I know a lot of "Temples" and "Rue du Temple" in France that have no connection at all to the Knights Templars.

From the wikipedia page translated into English.

"Rue du Temple is one of the oldest streets in Paris , between the 3rd and 4th arrondissements , in the Marais district . It is 1,335 meters long and is composed of several old ways dating for its oldest parts of the 14th century. It takes its name from the house of the Temple Parisian seat of the homonym order... "

Rue du Temple owes its name to the order of the Templars , installed in the middle of the thirteenth century in this quarter known as the Temple quarter still today. "

Edited by RakeInTheCache

I don't know about the rest of France, but in the area closest to where I live, the term "temple" usually refers to a Calvinist church, to distinguish them from the Catholic "églises". Under this aspect, the "Rue du Temple" might not be the best choice for an example of the naming conventions.

It's true that the word "temple" today often refers to a Calvinist Church. Waymarkers will need to know how to tell the difference between the two usages of the name or their waymark could be declined. If I think about it, I'll change it after it gets published.

Edited by RakeInTheCache

It's true that the word "temple" today often refers to a Calvinist Church. Waymarkers will need to know how to tell the difference between the two usages of the name or their waymark could be declined. If I think about it, I'll change it after it gets published.

Yes, that is what I meant. The Rue du Temple in Paris is a valid example, but many others are not.

I see the Latin America benchmarks category is in the same situation. I think Groundspeak is just slow to get around to activation.

Hallooooo Groundspeak!

It's been a week --

Time to tweak

your servers? Meek

Waymarkers seek

New icons on fleek!

Take a peek --

Make the tweak -

Give the meek

What we seek

this week :)

LOL

https://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=request.check&id=754337zlzrpi

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

Cool, now we just have a 292 kilometre drive to get to the nearest one... :lostsignal:

Them's Texas-style road trips, friend!! Saddle up and let's go!! I'll bring spicy snacks :)

Well, we went and got them - when we got home we had put 733 kliks on the car. We got the St, Johns in Penticton and Kelowna, so that works out to 366.5 kliks per WM. We missed the spicy snacks, though.