[BUG] Invalid code error when opening cache from link

dubidubno

How to reproduce:

1. Go to the Gmail app, open an email log notification for one of your disabled caches

2. Tap on the cache name/GC code

3. Tap on "Open with Geocaching" in the system dialog

Error message in the Geocaching app: "Invalid code. Please check the code and try again."

Android version: 7.1.1

Phone model: Nexus 6P

If I open the link in a browser the cache is displayed, but in a difficult to use layout not optimized for mobiles.

why not simply load them just like any other cache.

the fact that it is disabled is no reason to not load it.

for example, a cache could be disabled but someone still finds it.

GS seems to be trying to find solutions for problems that don't exist, or for problems that have been obtusely created for some reason.

I've heard about problems with people searching for disabled caches, so I don't think it's a "solution for a problem that doesn't exist".

It may be a solution for a problem that you think is less important than other problems though.

lets not confuse disabled with archived.

a cache is often still find-able even though the listing is disabled (for example when a CO forgets to re-enable it, or it has disabled because of some DNFs logs but it is actually still in place).

all the app has to do is say the cache is disabled but still give access to it.

So as a cache owner, if I really don't want people searching for my cache for a couple months, my only option is to archive it?

Because if I merely disable it, the app will send people to it anyway?

i clearly said the app could say the cache is disabled, but still provide access to the listing.
It would need to be a very prominent notice to prevent people from searching for a disabled cache. And given that people often don't read cache descriptions at all, it would need to be very prominent in any display of the cache (lists, maps, whatever).

But I tend to think of caches with the NM attribute as "still find-able", and of caches that are disabled as "not find-able". So I think we're going to come to different conclusions on this one.