Unanle to open cache icons on "View Larger Map"

Tegiro

I have a Samsung tablet and when I go to Geocaching.com (and sign in of course)and select a geocache there is a map feature on the main page that says "View Larger Map".

When I open this map feature there are many icons showing other caches in the area. However when I click on these other icons the selected cache page will not open. No matter how hard I try there seems to be no way to get to those cache via these icons.

Why is this?

Tegiro

I have a Samsung tablet and when I go to Geocaching.com (and sign in of course)and select a geocache there is a map feature on the main page that says "View Larger Map".

When I open this map feature there are many icons showing other caches in the area. However when I click on these other icons the selected cache page will not open. No matter how hard I try there seems to be no way to get to those cache via these icons.

Why is this?

Tegiro

You're asking this in the "Android > Geocaching Classic Android App" forum. Is this an App question? Support for the "Classic App" is being dropped, so some functionality may go away over time. But I'm still getting cache listings just fine on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2.

If you're instead asking which web browser to try, check out Firefox. The default "Internet" (factory-installed browser), and Google Chrome, both pop up only a box with the cache name. In Firefiox, I can get to the cache descriptions just like it works on a desktop web browser. But it sometimes takes a couple of attempts. It seems to work best with one quick tap of the cache icon.

Edited by kunarion

Why is this?

Tegiro

You're asking this in the "Android > Geocaching Classic Android App" forum. Is this an App question? Support for the "Classic App" is being dropped, so some functionality may go away over time. But I'm still getting cache listings just fine on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S.

If you're instead asking which web browser to try, check out Firefox. The default "Internet" (factory-installed browser), and Google Chrome, both pop up only a box with the cache name. In Firefiox, I can get to the cache descriptions just like it works on a desktop web browser. But it sometimes takes a couple of attempts. It seems to work best with one quick tap of the cache icon.

Hello kunarion,

I have a Samsung Tab S2 and I do use Chrome as a browser. But I still cannot access the geocaches by tapping the icons on the "View Larger Map"

I've no problems on my desktop computer...it is just my Samsung Tab S2 where I have difficulties. When using the Chrome browser on my tablet I go to geocaching.com and from there try to view various caches on the "View Larger Map" screen. This does not work on my tablet.

Why is this?

Tegiro

You're asking this in the "Android > Geocaching Classic Android App" forum. Is this an App question? Support for the "Classic App" is being dropped, so some functionality may go away over time. But I'm still getting cache listings just fine on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S.

Hello kunarion,

I have a Samsung Tab S2 and I do use Chrome as a browser. But I still cannot access the geocaches by tapping the icons on the "View Larger Map"

I've no problems on my desktop computer...it is just my Samsung Tab S2 where I have difficulties. When using the Chrome browser on my tablet I go to geocaching.com and from there try to view various caches on the "View Larger Map" screen. This does not work on my tablet.

Get the FireFox App. That's one that seems OK.

Here I am, hundreds of miles from home and finding this to be the case with a $300+ new galaxy tablet. There has been no small amount of swearing involved.

I have c:geo, but am trying to use that unconnected (which really is a goal they should work to better support, there are some places where you ain't going to have a signal, particularly some of the very remote areas I've been through over the past few days, but I digress, that doesn't remedy this idiotic behavior of Chrome.

So we have Chrome, a product of Google, running in Nougat, another product of Google all running Google maps ... and it doesn't work.

I've I bring up a map showing restaurants, filling stations and such, it works. I think this is probably in the implementation of maps by GC.

Have also noticed what appears to be a memory leak. When I leave the large map view open on a PC for some time it gets verrrrrry bogged down and Chrome needs a restart.

So there's no answers, only us.

Why is this?

Tegiro

The default 'Samsung Internet' browser and Chrome both have this problem. Firefox on Android allows you to tap on a cache icon on the map and open it up, just like if you were on your computer.