Top Score thread...continued

fractal

The other thread got to big for my Palm computer to load up, so I'm starting a new thread icon_biggrin.gif

Next Top Score gathering will be on 4/3/02 around 7:30ish...?

If that time doesn't work for some of you, then suggest a better one icon_smile.gif

First Geocacher to get top score on a game (after I'm there) will get a Geocaching temp. tattoo!

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

frac-tri.gif

N 45° 30.ish

W 122° 58.ish

Didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll just add to this one...

I should have 20+ Geocaching window decals in my hands on Monday (4/08). These are the same as the ones that were in my Low-Medium-High cache.

I will be placing them in various caches over here on the West side next week. Keep your eye on this thread to see where they will be icon_wink.gif

Also, I might bring a few to the next Top Score challenge.

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

frac-tri.gif

N 45° 30.ish

W 122° 58.ish

What a pain!

I go to the same sign shop to get vinyl decals cut out.. They've put out quality stuff before.. They've also messed up before.. But, I figured I'd give them another chance....

I ordered 25 of the Geocaching vinyl window decals on Tuesday (5 each of yellow, green, blue, red, and black). I told them I needed them by Thursday, but Friday would be acceptable. They said they would call me if they can't get them done by Thursday, or if there was a problem. I didn't make it back there on Thursday or Friday, and they never called. So, I went in today around 2pm expecting them to be ready... Well.. they were just starting on the order. They handed me one, and it was the wrong logo! So they're all "sorry.. we can get the right logo done in 2 hours"... fine icon_rolleyes.gif

So I go down to the army surplus store to check out the highly overpriced ammo cans ($8!!! icon_eek.gif ) when the sign shop calls and says that they can't cut the decals out because the lettering is too small! Uhm.. no... they've made them before.. I got one on my window right now...

So they say they have to make them an inch bigger (bringing them up to 6x6).. Oh.. but that's an extra $36...and we can't get them done until tomorrow... Wrong answer! I pre-paid for a job that was supposed to be done by Friday, and you're trying to get me to pay more for something I needed last week??

After some conversation with the manager, I got them to deliver all the bigger decals, at the original price, by the end of the day!

I won't mention the name of the sign shop, but if you need SIGNS NOW, and not later, don't go there!

So who want's a decal? icon_biggrin.gif

I'm gunna start placing them in caches tonight...

Keep your eye on this thread if you want one!

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

frac-tri.gif

N 45° 30.ish

W 122° 58.ish

Ok.. Hit a few caches tonight with a friend. Placed decals in the following:

Yellow decal in Council Crest

Black decal in 4Parks

Red decal in Bastion

More to come this week!

Directions for installing:

Clean the area (window).

Peel paper backing from decal, leaving the image on the masking tape-type material.

Place decal (sticky side down) onto area as evenly as possible.

Rub over the entire area with a squegee to get out all the air bubbles.

Peel off masking tape and the decal should be left behind!

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

frac-tri.gif

N 45° 30.ish

W 122° 58.ish

fractal...ammo cans for 2 bucks in damascus...

I went by there on my way home from work and they got tons of em

I bought some more...need to put more caches in gresham...there is just about none out here

although I see a new one was placed in troutdale...I didnt see it otherwise i woulda logged a first find but it was too dark to go....plus I am sick of allthis dadgum rain (Im a native so I can complain)

wayne

Yeah.. I've heard they have good prices out there... But, I have also vowed to never use an ammo can icon_cool.gif

I know they work better than everything else, but everyone uses them! I always gotta try and be different.. I'm half-way ashamed of the container at my Oregon History Lesson #1 right now because it's just a clear plastic jar that I got at Target... It was a spur of the moment replacement...

And what's wrong with rain?? I'm a native too and love it.. In fact, I was in the middle of a downpour today and had a great time! I half-way laugh at people that use umbrellas icon_wink.gif

-fractal

quote:
Originally posted by Seth!:

Moun10Bike and I are each hoping to score a decal this weekend. Just in case we're too late, maybe fractal can bring a couple to the Barley Mill on Saturday night. icon_biggrin.gif

You got it!

What colors? I have yellow, green, blue, red, and black.

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

frac-tri.gif

N 45° 30.ish

W 122° 58.ish

quote:

Originally posted by LaurenCat:

Is it too late to put a request in for a black sticker or a red sticker?

Well I can't give them ALL away icon_smile.gif It's much more fun to hunt them.. So here's a little heads up.. I'm heading over to the Creekside cache in a few minutes... I'll be leaving a red and a black decal. I won't post on the cache page that they are there until I get back...

Good luck icon_wink.gif

-fractal

quote:
Originally posted by Bodoni:

And take another picture or two when you're there. I put a new camera in the cache. I can't wait to get the first set back!

Dang.. I didn't see your post until I got back.. Oh well.. there's already 2 pictures of me on the last one...

Aside from leaving 2 decals, I also left a Canadian Geocoin! It's very cool..

-fractal

Fractal,

I saw your post today, and thought maybe just maybe I can drive all the way out there, and try to get one. Got home and knew instantly that such an idea would not go over well with the one who stays home with the child! Have you or are you going to place any on the Eastside or Vancouver (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)?

fractal, I didn't mean to start some kind of gold rush on the decals. I plan to hit a dozen or so geocache in the area on Saturday BEFORE I hit the BM. SO, I'll try to pick up a decal in a geocache if there are any left. I was just suggesting a back-up plan since some of us are not homeys. I'm going to have a look at Tree Hugger when I get down there. I'll have to see this tree before I commit one way or the other. Sixty feet up is pretty darn high, even for a monkey like me.

An aside: I will be attempting an interesting and challenging one here in the Puget Sound area tomorrow. Watch the forurms! icon_eek.gif

A copy of my log from Creekside:

"Late yesterday afternoon, I saw that Fractal had put a couple of decals into this cache, and thought, maybe I could get out to it early Wednesday morning. I rechecked the page this morning, and everything looked good - one was gone, but hopefully the other would be there. Found the cache pretty easily (great location - I wish there were some parks like this in Vancouver), and excitedly opened it to find the other decal!!!! Then I flipped over the ziploc bag, and saw the note from Fractal - leave one for Laurencat. Quickly, beating down the rising thoughts to take it anyway, I put it back, and took the geocoin (pretty cool - though not a decal), and left a toy dinosaur. Great cache! Fun hunt! Happiness that I didn't succumb to some of my baser elements!"

Kind of funny how some things can consume me. It was kind of like when I was in Jr. High, and just had to have this certain kind of pants that everyone was wearing, or I would end up being some dopey geek (I probably am one anyway, despite all my efforts, but that's a different story). Anyway, I'll just keep an eye on Fractal's next placement . . . .

Well folks, I'm out of decals...

At the BM gathering the other night, I had to give some to the out of towners. I also gave a few extra to Moun10bike to distribute up north. I also tried to give a couple to Oregone to place over on the east side, but I'm not sure if the decals made it back to him by the end of the night icon_smile.gif

I'm glad everyone liked them and I'll see what I can do to have more made up in a few months or so.

Also, I'll be at the Top Score cache on Wednesday around 8pm-ish if anyone want's to come on down, spend some quarters, and try to log it as a find icon_smile.gif

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

frac-tri.gif

N 45° 30.ish

W 122° 58.ish

quote:
Originally posted by fractal:

I also tried to give a couple to Oregone to place over on the east side, but I'm not sure if the decals made it back to him by the end of the night icon_smile.gif

I did somehow end up with three decals toward the end of that night. Two of them ended up at Bodoni's "Virginia," and i'll drop the last one off on the eastside today if i have time.

And i'll try to make it on Wednesday to Top Score. Maybe--if i can somehow get four caches between now and then--we can do IDS IV Revisited afterwards to get my 300th.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

Well Fractal, I think Gresham is in the cards tonight.

I did indeed head up to Washington today to bag #297-#299.

Now all we need to do is convince LaurenCat that she's driving.

And to anyone with Burnt Bridge II on their list, parking where i did really makes a guy in a grey ford extrusion quite vocal, so beware!

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

And next Wednesday, anyone?

Sounds good to me... I should have my car back by then... Dang head gasket icon_frown.gif

Shall we put together a small list of caches to hit?

So.. arcade around 8ish... Maya's around 8:30ish.. Night time cache frenzy starting up around 9ish?

Should we make Maya's a virtual also? Take a picture of you, your gps, and a margarita! icon_wink.gif

-fractal

quote:

Ok.. Hit a few caches tonight with a friend. Placed decals in the following...

-fractal

So what do those of us in the "southern" states have to do (besides make another trip north!) to get decals? I would be willing to pay for some if you were willing to ship them down here (I'd even pay for that).

I just know that I would never make it in time to one of the caches with a decal in it if you post that they are there... *sigh* *sniff*

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

geobutton1.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The GeoGadgets Team:

So what do those of us in the "southern" states have to do (besides make another trip north!) to get decals? I would be willing to pay for some if you were willing to ship them down here (I'd even pay for that).

I just know that I would never make it in time to one of the caches with a decal in it if you post that they are there... *sigh* *sniff*

Can't sell them.. I don't own the Geocaching logo.. But, I'll see what I can do... Watch your email this week icon_wink.gif

-fractal

quote:

Can't sell them.. I don't own the Geocaching logo.. But, I'll see what I can do... Watch your email this week icon_wink.gif

-fractal

Well, I didn't mean SELL them, but that I would pay for any costs incurred by you, sir. Reimburse I suppose is a more appropriate term.

As for watching my email?

*giggling hysterically* Okay! *continue giggle*

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

Looks like another Top Score gathering on Wednesday, May 1st at around 8pm. Bring some quarters, meet some local cachers, and log a find!

Afterwards, we'll probably be going to Maya's.. It's a little Mexican place located @ N45° 31.199 / W122° 40.940 . Good margaritas!

After that, some night time caching!

-fractal

Sadly, I won't be going to the next top score. my advisor wants to talk to me the next morning and i find it best to be at least reasonably rested and not smelling of tequila when he and i talk.

but i think y'all should hit a cache on your side of town, fractal. i don't know if there are any you haven't done yet, but i'm thinking beaverton/hillsboro might be fun.

have a margarita for me at mayas. are you still gonna turn that place into a virtual?

That way I can make a concerted effort to join you for the hunt since getting time away from kids to get downtown for the festivites is all but impossible (nevermind the fact that I suck at video games).

The ghost of Dinah's Kitchen would be fun at night, but it's only a virtual cache anymore icon_smile.gif

5505_600.gif

quote:

Dinah's Kitchen @ night... That would be freaky!

I vote for the darkest, freakiest night cache we can find. West side sounds good. How about one of the caches in the foot hills of the coast range? The Geoburban is 4x4 ready and at your service.

I suspect the group may not share my ambition… I am both flexible and concerned for the comfort of everyone in the group. However, if the group elects a more 'remote' cache challenge I recommend everyone come prepared. Proper clothes, extra food, water, and batteries. I’ll have no causalities on my watch!

Again, I can go as hard or as easy as the group is comfortable with.

-Your humble five star junkie, MarkL32

P.S. you may address me as, but are not limited to, any of the following:

MarkL32

markL32

mArKl32

marklthirtytwo

Mr. L32

[This message was edited by markl32 on May 01, 2002 at 01:09 PM.]

I haven't done 'Hart of the Woods' or 'xyz/ngs' yet. I would suggest that new one that just posted, but, well, you know. Looks like THAT one will have to be margarita-free.

I have a concert to go to tomorrow night, so i'm not sure how ready i'll be for this tonight. But i'm pretty much ready for anything.

Ok.. If we decide to do the west side again, I suggest we find a meeting spot over here next time... Something like... Who Song & Larry's (I think it's near N45° 29.600 W122° 48.400).

I would say let's meet up there tonight, but it's kind of short notice. Maybe next week we could meet up there?

-fractal

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

I haven't done 'Hart of the Woods' or 'xyz/ngs' yet.

I second both of those. I submit 'County Corner'. It looks like no one in the group has done that one. Its a bit of a drive and a bit of a hike.

quote:

If we decide to do the west side again, I suggest we find a meeting spot over here next time... Something like... Who Song & Larry's.

-fractal

Is there still an Old Chicago somewhere around 185th or Tanasbourne or something? I met a really hot waitress there in 1997.

Yeah.. there is an Old Chicago on 185th... I'll see if I can get lat/lon by next week...

Looks like Oregone just hit Hart of the Woods a bit ago...

XYZ/NGS.. Finding one of the benchmarks may look a bit suspicious, but it could be done... The walk to the final cache site should be cool at night though...

County Corner sounds good as well...

I'm up for any icon_smile.gif

-fractal