2017 Souvenirs

Pond Bird

I found a cache on the 24th and received the Celebrating 3 million active geocaches souvenir. Then this morning I got an email saying I would be getting a 3 million active geocaches: Thank you!. When I went to view my list of Souvenirs, the CELEBRATE 3 Million souvenir is gone. I only see the THANK YOU 3 Million souvenir. I went back to the log on the 24th and it still shows that I earned the CELEBRATE souvenir. Why am I not seeing both souvenirs on my profile?

I found a cache on the 24th and received the Celebrating 3 million active geocaches souvenir. Then this morning I got an email saying I would be getting a 3 million active geocaches: Thank you!. When I went to view my list of Souvenirs, the CELEBRATE 3 Million souvenir is gone. I only see the THANK YOU 3 Million souvenir. I went back to the log on the 24th and it still shows that I earned the CELEBRATE souvenir. Why am I not seeing both souvenirs on my profile?

You had to have found a cache on 4/22 or 4/23 to earn the Celebrate 3 million caches souvenir.

EDIT: Now I see that you did find a cache on 4/23. I would write to Geocaching HQ and let them know that the souvenir didn't show up on your profile. I believe there's a form for that.

Edited by Sherminator18

You had to have found a cache on 4/22 or 4/23 to earn the Celebrate 3 million caches souvenir.

EDIT: Now I see that you did find a cache on 4/23. I would write to Geocaching HQ and let them know that the souvenir didn't show up on your profile. I believe there's a form for that.

Here is their Help Center section about missing souvenirs: https://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=453

Luckily you found a cache on the 23rd, not the 24th. :)

You have the "3 million..thank you!" souvenir for your active caches, but missing the "Celebrate..." one for the find.

You can contact Groundspeak's Help Center here, to get it fixed, and it's category request #6. :)

Luckily you found a cache on the 23rd, not the 24th. :)

You have the "3 million..thank you!" souvenir for your active caches, but missing the "Celebrate..." one for the find.

You can contact Groundspeak's Help Center here, to get it fixed, and it's category request #6. :)

oops.. thanks for catching my typo.. yes it was the 23rd :)

<snip>

...the lack of a little digital stamp on a tab in their profile is not going to keep me up at night.

I know I've said this before, but talking about digital souvenir art always makes me think of my favorite quote from "The Thomas Crown Affair" (which I will only partially quote):

a couple of swirls of paint that are really only important to some...people

<snip>

...the lack of a little digital stamp on a tab in their profile is not going to keep me up at night.

I know I've said this before, but talking about digital souvenir art always makes me think of my favorite quote from "The Thomas Crown Affair" (which I will only partially quote):

a couple of swirls of paint that are really only important to some...people

Heh. Touche.

Yikes, so this was all intentional and those whose hides aren't active get shafted?

Well, the "3 Million Active Cache" global achievement was about ... wait for it ... active caches. Inactive caches didn't contribute to the achievement. I wouldn't call that being "shafted".

Thank you for pointing that out. I had forgotten that it was 3 million active caches, so I guess it does make sense after all.

If you accidentally logged the find on on the 24th and edited the log to the 23rd, the souvenir doesn't get awarded. Just try logging the find again on the 23rd. Delete the log afterward.

They changed that functionality a few years ago. Editing a log to the correct date is supposed to award the souvenir. If it didn't, it's because there was some other glitch that prevented it. I'll test this to confirm when I log on May 2, but I'm pretty sure nothing has changed recently and editing the date should still work.

No need for a hint when the answer has already been publicized via the Blog and PM Emails. :ph34r:

I just checked...there's nothing about this upcoming souvenir in the GS blog.

B.

Interesting. The email that was sent out had the following link to a blog article:

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2017/05/where-in-the-world-is-signal-the-frog-canada/

...but if you just go to the blog directly, the article isn't shown.

Maybe this time the PMs really did get a heads-up before anyone else? No, wait, they already tweeted about it days ago... :laughing:

Hopefully, it's a typo, and you don't have to host or attend an event on both days.

by hosting or attending an event on Saturday, July 1 and Sunday, July 2, 2017.

I think it's just a case of the marketing person not being careful about how things should be worded. I'm sure it's July 1 OR July 2, and I doubt you'd actually get the souvenir for just hosting an event.

Hopefully, it's a typo, and you don't have to host or attend an event on both days.

I think it's just a case of the marketing person not being careful about how things should be worded. I'm sure it's July 1 OR July 2, and I doubt you'd actually get the souvenir for just hosting an event.

I dunno...a lot of us got a souvenir lately for being cache owners...

Around here there are a lot of regularly scheduled events (socials). I wonder how many folks show up, introduce themselves, walk away and post an attended log or sit around for 10 minutes, then leave -just for a souvenir.

I'm sure it happens from time to time. It still counts as attending the event, though I'd compare it to a "TFTC" or "+1" log -- minimum qualifications met, making it one way to get the job done, even if it's not the preferred technique.

I don't do head counts at my events, so I couldn't say how many times it's happened. I'd like to think folks stick around to bask in my charming personality and don't just bolt as soon as they ink our event log. :anibad:

...I doubt you'd actually get the souvenir for just hosting an event.

I'm pretty sure they didn't say anything about awarding just for hosting one of the Donerstag events, so I would think they'd do things the same way for this one.

It think they meant to say you can earn it on either day. is stead off having to attend events BOTH days.

Around here there are a lot of regularly scheduled events (socials). I wonder how many folks show up, introduce themselves, walk away and post an attended log or sit around for 10 minutes, then leave -just for a souvenir.

I went to a CITO once and many people showed up over an hour late and didn't pick up much trash (if any) and left early just to get the souvenir. I'm not saying its right or wrong. When I was in Arizona I went to an event but left after 20 minutes or so I guess it depends on how motivated people are to stay, (although there wasn't a souvenir when I was in Arizona). some people may have other plans the day of the event and they could come in see what's going on and then leave (they have work, family to take care of, etc.)

Since this upcoming souvenir pertains to a weekend with a Canada theme. I would like to attend an event in Ontario for the souvenir and give myself plenty of time to ask questions about caching in Ontario.

My motivation for attending an event (CITO or regular) is to hang out with folks who participate in the same hobby I do. Not a social butterfly, but it's a commonality we obviously have so it works. I'm not going to inconvenience a host/hostess by having him/her TRY to make sure I have a seat at an event only to walk by and say hello, for a souvenir. CITOs are different.

Oh, and I've only been to one event where a "logbook" was to be signed. I thought it was pretty neat what the host had created.

...I doubt you'd actually get the souvenir for just hosting an event.

I'm pretty sure they didn't say anything about awarding just for hosting one of the Donerstag events, so I would think they'd do things the same way for this one.

Indeed -- our good friends, whose only cache owned so far was a Donerstag event, didn't get the souvenir, as the event was archived before the ownership souvenir came out.

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2017/05/where-in-the-world-is-signal-the-frog-canada/

As Signal continues to celebrate geocaching around the world, our favorite frog will be visiting Canada to cache like a Canadian and celebrate Canada’s 150th anniversary.

As part of the celebration, you can earn the Canada Day 2017 souvenir by hosting or attending an event on Saturday, July 1 or Sunday, July 2, 2017. We’re excited to join Canadians in celebrating their birthday this July, and we hope you’ll join us!

B.

https://www.geocachi...he-frog-canada/

As Signal continues to celebrate geocaching around the world, our favorite frog will be visiting Canada to cache like a Canadian and celebrate Canada's 150th anniversary.

As part of the celebration, you can earn the Canada Day 2017 souvenir by hosting or attending an event on Saturday, July 1 or Sunday, July 2, 2017. We're excited to join Canadians in celebrating their birthday this July, and we hope you'll join us!

B.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet but I wonder if there will be a Canada "country" souvenir released just as the Deutshland souvenir was released for the "Where is Signal?" visit to Germany.

As Signal continues to celebrate geocaching around the world, our favorite frog will be visiting Canada to cache like a Canadian and celebrate Canada’s 150th anniversary.

As part of the celebration, you can earn the Canada Day 2017 souvenir by hosting or attending an event on Saturday, July 1 or Sunday, July 2, 2017. We’re excited to join Canadians in celebrating their birthday this July, and we hope you’ll join us!

B.

I see they changed that to say "or" instead of "and", but it still has the "hosting" part. Since hzoi confirmed that hosting wasn't enough to get the Donerstag souvenir, it will be interesting to see if that changes for the Canada Day one. If it's true, then that's a departure from how they've handled event-based souvenirs in the past.

B.

I see they changed that to say "or" instead of "and", but it still has the "hosting" part. Since hzoi confirmed that hosting wasn't enough to get the Donerstag souvenir, it will be interesting to see if that changes for the Canada Day one. If it's true, then that's a departure from how they've handled event-based souvenirs in the past.

No, I confirmed that hosting a Donerstag event wasn't enough to get the 3,000,000 cache ownership souvenir. My buddy logged that he attended his event and his souvenir popped up as a result, so the question of whether one can get the souvenir by hosting, but not attending, such an event remains unanswered.

...Since hzoi confirmed that hosting wasn't enough to get the Donerstag souvenir...

No, I confirmed that hosting a Donerstag event wasn't enough to get the 3,000,000 cache ownership souvenir. My buddy logged that he attended his event and his souvenir popped up as a result, so the question of whether one can get the souvenir by hosting, but not attending, such an event remains unanswered.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

I'll be curious to see what would happen if one of the Canada Day event hosts doesn't log an Attended right way and whether they get awarded the souvenir anyway.

...Since hzoi confirmed that hosting wasn't enough to get the Donerstag souvenir...

Sorry, I misunderstood.

I'll be curious to see what would happen if one of the Canada Day event hosts doesn't log an Attended right way and whether they get awarded the souvenir anyway.

Host one and find out!

Host one and find out!

I'd love to, but someone has already created one and I don't want to be in the position of hosting a "competing" event. Also, I don't know yet what type of non-caching events will be happening that day or at what times. I live in a provincial capital, so there will be some big celebrations going on and I wouldn't want to hold an event right when lots of people will be wanting to go to something else. If it gets closer to the date and things look viable, I may indeed look at setting one up, if only to figure out what happens with the souvenir. :laughing:

Edited by The A-Team

B.

I

I hosted an event and have the donerstag souvenir.

But - maybe I got it for the attended log and not the hosting...

Either way - I was the only one that showed up... :blink:

Host one and find out!

I'd love to, but someone has already created one and I don't want to be in the position of hosting a "competing" event. Also, I don't know yet what type of non-caching events will be happening that day or at what times. I live in a provincial capital, so there will be some big celebrations going on and I wouldn't want to hold an event right when lots of people will be wanting to go to something else. If it gets closer to the date and things look viable, I may indeed look at setting one up, if only to figure out what happens with the souvenir. :laughing:

If you're interested in hosting one, host one in my small town. Ill give you the coords of a local eatery. I'll attend! I'm tired of hosting and being the only cacher to show up. But if you host it, I won't feel so bad.

And, you'll see if you get a souvenir even if you didn't attend.

Host one and find out!

If you're interested in hosting one, host one in my small town. Ill give you the coords of a local eatery. I'll attend! I'm tired of hosting and being the only cacher to show up. But if you host it, I won't feel so bad.

Unfortunately, it's pretty much guaranteed that I won't be in West Virginia at the beginning of July.

Edited by The A-Team

Host one and find out!

Unfortunately, it's pretty much guaranteed that I won't be in West Virginia at the beginning of July.

While I'll miss the opportunity to meet you, I'd be willing to act as proxy host in your stead.

You host and I'll mark attended see who gets what souvenir... :blink:

Domo all!!

So, no Get Outdoors Day celebration nor special souvenir for this year 2017 June 10th?

BTW, International Geocaching Day 2017 should be on August 19th (Saturday), and International EarthCache Day this 2017 should be on October 8th (Saturday).

Good Luck & Cache On!

~ Dr.MORO

19 hours ago, Pond Bird said:

Others have mentioned upcoming International Geocaching Day on August 19. On the home page it says you can earn a souvenir. Wondering what cache I should find this saturday? 

If you clicked on that "Learn more" link on the homepage, you'd see (in bold, no less):

Earn your International Geocaching Day 2017 souvenir by logging any cache type or attending an event on August 19, 2017!

On 8/18/2017 at 4:34 PM, The A-Team said:

If you clicked on that "Learn more" link on the homepage, you'd see (in bold, no less):

I did that I wasn't saying I didn't click or not know what types counted but thanks for the clarification. I was just stating I didn't know WHICH cache I was going to find. I can always count on you to clarify the event information especially since its on your website! 

Edited by Pond Bird