2017 Souvenirs

Pond Bird

The new blog hinted at something going on for Valentine's Day so maybe there's going to be a souvenir for that day.

What blog are you talking about?

I don't see anything about Valentine's Day 2017 on the Groundspeak blog:

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/

Did you get in contact with Groundspeak about not receiving the weekly newsletter? (which has NOTHING to do with subscribing to the GS blog)

B.

I just saw an email from today that people will be going geocaching on Valentine's Day. Sounded a lot like the wording for the September CITO week.

So you ARE receiving the GS weekly newsletter.

GS newsletter of today:

Valentine’s Day + geocaching = one sweet combo.

Valentine’s Day is just a week away! For some of us, it’s just another day to log some caches, but if you’re still trying to figure out what to get the special geocacher in your life this Valentine’s Day, you’re in luck! We’ve put together a list of gifts that any geocacher would love to have – especially us!

7 gift suggestions to take Valentine’s Day from average to BEST DAY EVER:

1. Trackable Love Lock

2. Guide to Geocaching Starter Kit

3. Trackable Charm Bracelet

4. Geocaching GPS Stories Book

5. “I <3 GC” Trackable Necklace

6. Men’s Trackable Travel Bug T-Shirt

7. MiiR Stainless Steel Water Bottle

Got some great Valentine’s Day ideas of your own? Share them with us on Twitter using #geocaching! And for those whose special someone is a GPS and the trails – enjoy it! No special occasion required to just get out and do the things we love!

That's a sales pitch. I don't get any "souvenir" vibe from it at all.

Newsletter from last week:

Get ready for Two Weeks of CITO in 2017

Cache In Trash Out® events bring geocachers together to care for the geocaching game board: planet Earth. CITO events may include tree planting, litter pick up, or event habitat restoration. They’re a chance for geocachers to give back to their local spaces and communities.

This year you’ll have two opportunities to earn special CITO 2017 souvenirs by attending CITO events during the 15th Annual Cache In Trash Out Weeks: April 22-30 and September 23-October 1.

B.

The newsletter problem was fixed then if you are correct. Thank you for showing the content of last week's newsletter as well as the one I saw.

The new blog hinted at something going on for Valentine's Day so maybe there's going to be a souvenir for that day.

Did you get in contact with Groundspeak about not receiving the weekly newsletter? (which has NOTHING to do with subscribing to the GS blog)

B.

I just saw an email from today that people will be going geocaching on Valentine's Day. Sounded a lot like the wording for the September CITO week.

This is definitely a sales pitch and not a souvenir promotion.

And there's a CITO week in April as well as September.

B.

So you ARE receiving the GS weekly newsletter.

GS newsletter of today:

Valentine’s Day + geocaching = one sweet combo.

Valentine’s Day is just a week away! For some of us, it’s just another day to log some caches, but if you’re still trying to figure out what to get the special geocacher in your life this Valentine’s Day, you’re in luck! We’ve put together a list of gifts that any geocacher would love to have – especially us!

7 gift suggestions to take Valentine’s Day from average to BEST DAY EVER:

1. Trackable Love Lock

2. Guide to Geocaching Starter Kit

3. Trackable Charm Bracelet

4. Geocaching GPS Stories Book

5. “I <3 GC” Trackable Necklace

6. Men’s Trackable Travel Bug T-Shirt

7. MiiR Stainless Steel Water Bottle

Got some great Valentine’s Day ideas of your own? Share them with us on Twitter using #geocaching! And for those whose special someone is a GPS and the trails – enjoy it! No special occasion required to just get out and do the things we love!

That's a sales pitch. I don't get any "souvenir" vibe from it at all.

Newsletter from last week:

Get ready for Two Weeks of CITO in 2017

Cache In Trash Out® events bring geocachers together to care for the geocaching game board: planet Earth. CITO events may include tree planting, litter pick up, or event habitat restoration. They’re a chance for geocachers to give back to their local spaces and communities.

This year you’ll have two opportunities to earn special CITO 2017 souvenirs by attending CITO events during the 15th Annual Cache In Trash Out Weeks: April 22-30 and September 23-October 1.

B.

Surprisingly, I have not received this newsletter. Strange..

Maybe they'll announce a souvenir for Presidents Day 2018 soon... :anibad:

No such holiday, no matter what the car dealerships and mattress stores around you may claim. On the other hand, maybe one for Washington's Birthday 2018.

Edited by hzoi

Back on a serious note. I do not see any information on March 2017 souvenirs and it is almost March. Maybe the newsletter or blog with the information hasn't been published yet.

The newsletter goes out weekly, usually Mondays or Tuesdays.

Are you still thinking that there should be new souvenirs released each month?

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Back on a serious note. I do not see any information on March 2017 souvenirs and it is almost March. Maybe the newsletter or blog with the information hasn't been published yet.

You are looking for something that doesn't exist. People have tried to tell you in several different ways that date based souvenirs are not a consistent, regular offering. They are often offered one or two times a year in conjunction with CITOs promotions. Earth Day (April CITO) and Earthcache Day are sometimes celebrated with a souvenir. There might be a summer promotion to generate caching activity that offers one or more souvenirs. Beyond these they are strictly special surprises; there is not a monthly souvenir.

How many more do you need for the challenge you are working on?

B.

I just saw that the new souvenir will be available April 13 by attending a non-CITO event. Did not get a newsletter or blog about this, saw it on the A-team website. The new souvenirs don't have to be in different months, they can be in the same month.

I just saw that the new souvenir will be available April 13 by attending a non-CITO event. Did not get a newsletter or blog about this, saw it on the A-team website.

But it has been announced on the blog

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2017/02/where-in-the-world-is-signal-hint-gruse-aus-deutschland/

Yup. Last newsletter went out on February 22nd, blog post was published on February 24th. I'm sure the Dönerstag souvenir will be announced in an upcoming newsletter.

It's been a few weeks, so I guess I need to re-post my explanation from last month:

I feel like we've gone over this several times before.

There aren't necessarily any special date-based souvenirs every month. In fact, there are some months when there aren't any souvenirs released at all, even for Mega events (e.g. January 2017).

Pond Bird, if there is someone outside of these forums that is insisting that souvenirs are released every month, please ignore them going forward. They don't know what they're talking about.

I just saw that the new souvenir will be available April 13 by attending a non-CITO event. Did not get a newsletter or blog about this, saw it on the A-team website.

I was advised on Saturday by a cacher from Germany that there would be a souvenir for Dönerstag, though they provided a link to a German caching site. I then went looking for more information and found the blog post from the day before. At the same time that I added it to my site, I also added the link to the relevant blog post. If there's a link on a souvenir's criteria on my site, it will link to a page with more information about that souvenir.

The new souvenirs don't have to be in different months, they can be in the same month.

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Groundspeak doesn't control the dates on which all special days occur. Earth Day and Dönerstag, for example, exist entirely outside of the control of Groundspeak. They can't just arbitrarily move these days to another month.

Yup. Last newsletter went out on February 22nd, blog post was published on February 24th. I'm sure the Dönerstag souvenir will be announced in an upcoming newsletter.

Yup. I just received this week's newsletter and the Dönerstag souvenir is front and center in the email. Very helpful to those who don't check the blog page regularly!

I just received this week's newsletter and the Dönerstag souvenir is front and center in the email. Very helpful to those who don't check the blog page regularly!

If you happen to live in an area like I do, you will become aware of the souvenir very soon just by the fact that many events will pop up.

Personally I do not regard what's behind the Dönerstag funny at all - after all it makes fun about Holy Thursday.

I just received this week's newsletter and the Dönerstag souvenir is front and center in the email. Very helpful to those who don't check the blog page regularly!

If you happen to live in an area like I do, you will become aware of the souvenir very soon just by the fact that many events will pop up.

Personally I do not regard what's behind the Dönerstag funny at all - after all it makes fun about Holy Thursday.

I assume you mean the timing of the Dönerstag souvenir is making light of a holy day, because what's behind Dönerstag in general is just delicious döner kebap.

I assume you mean the timing of the Dönerstag souvenir is making light of a holy day, because what's behind Dönerstag in general is just delicious döner kebap.

No, I do not mean the timing of the souvenir. I mean the background of the Dönerstag events and the name. My guess would be that the souvenir got created as German cachers asked for it and that noone at GS HQ is aware of the full background for which it is quite irrelevant what happens at a typical Dönerstag event.

Do a google search Dönerstag event and the first three pages are links to Geocaching events. I'm thinking of submitting an event for April 14th just to see if anyone shows up.

Yup. I just received this week's newsletter and the Dönerstag souvenir is front and center in the email. Very helpful to those who don't check the blog page regularly!

Just received mine today March 1.

No, I do not mean the timing of the souvenir. I mean the background of the Dönerstag events and the name. My guess would be that the souvenir got created as German cachers asked for it and that noone at GS HQ is aware of the full background for which it is quite irrelevant what happens at a typical Dönerstag event.

The error is mine. I didn't realize that it was an annual event held specifically on Holy Thursday.

I thought I remembered Dönerstag events being held on other dates, even on a recurring basis, when I lived in Germany. I'd have to do my homework pn project-gc to confirm, though.

It's almost as though it takes time for a system to chug out emails to extremely large groups of people.

I thought I remembered Dönerstag events being held on other dates, even on a recurring basis, when I lived in Germany. I'd have to do my homework pn project-gc to confirm, though.

I think you must have confused something. Of course there are events at Doener places in Germany outside of the Doenerstag series.

BTW: Are you familiar with the full story behind the 2007 Doenerstag events? The organizers tried to achieve the mega event status by trying to take together the participants of all Doenerstag events in Germany and some

neighbouring countries (somehow a kind of virtual participation at the event in Berlin) and it has caused a large uproar in local German speaking forums that GS did not implement this stupid idea.

My guess would be that the souvenir got created as German cachers asked for it and that noone at GS HQ is aware of the full background for which it is quite irrelevant what happens at a typical Dönerstag event.

That guess would be wrong, unless there is additional "news" not yet posted to this thread.

But thanks for playing!

My guess would be that the souvenir got created as German cachers asked for it and that noone at GS HQ is aware of the full background for which it is quite irrelevant what happens at a typical Dönerstag event.

That guess would be wrong, unless there is additional "news" not yet posted to this thread.

I did not mention anything religious here and I won't do as it does not fit here in this forum. I thought it would make sense to guess that the offensive part did not happen intentionally from GS's side but of course this was just speculation.

I think you must have confused something. Of course there are events at Doener places in Germany outside of the Doenerstag series.

BTW: Are you familiar with the full story behind the 2007 Doenerstag events? The organizers tried to achieve the mega event status by trying to take together the participants of all Doenerstag events in Germany and some neighbouring countries (somehow a kind of virtual participation at the event in Berlin) and it has caused a large uproar in local German speaking forums that GS did not implement this stupid idea.

I can't find any event that had Dönerstag on a date other than Holy Thursday. Plenty of Stammtisch events, but only yearly Dönerstag. I clearly misremembered.

I was not aware of the mega attempt. That's funny. No, Germany's first mega didn't happen until the summer of 2007, just outside Herbert Grönemeyer's hometown. (Ich war dabei!)

One can choose to dwell on the details of events that were controversial ten years ago, or one can choose, as Geocaching HQ has done, to focus on all the fun that's been had by geocachers at these events each and every year since, and then recognize that with a fun souvenir for the entire world to enjoy.

But in any case, I'm straying off topic from the purpose of this thread (that is, personal and immediate notification to Pond Bird of all new souvenirs), and for this I apologize.

But in any case, I'm straying off topic from the purpose of this thread (that is, personal and immediate notification to Pond Bird of all new souvenirs), and for this I apologize.

Gotcha. :anibad:

Well, back on that topic, I think Pond Bird has adequate notice by this point to: (1) pay attention to the blog, (2) sign up for the weekly newsletter, and (3) not expect a new souvenir every four seconds. So I reckon we're done here for now.

I think Pond Bird has adequate notice by this point to: (1) pay attention to the blog, (2) sign up for the weekly newsletter, and (3) not expect a new souvenir every four seconds.

(4) one also can sign up for being notified about new blog posts, then one does not need to pay active attention to the blog.

I understand there will be another souvenir for the month of April this year.

For anyone logging a find or attended an event on the first of the month they will get the special souvenir, which is so amazing you can only see it with VR goggles.

signal_vr.png

Man.

That's going to be a real hoot of a souvenir!

Edited by DragonsWest

Sooo...there's going to be a new souvenir this month or no..? :anibad:

A bit on the late side, I suspect. They've given us at least six weeks notice on most of the upcoming ones, though I wish there really was one for the first of next month since it falls nicely on a Saturday.

You need six weeks minimum to plan to get a souvenir from geocaching?

A bit on the late side, I suspect. They've given us at least six weeks notice on most of the upcoming ones, though I wish there really was one for the first of next month since it falls nicely on a Saturday.

I think they like to give people that much time to get themselves together for events or such. Seems reasonable in a selective sort of way. Possibly also due to the amount of prep they want to put something together (artwork) and get announced (people must be slow readers.)

It's almost as though it takes time for a system to chug out emails to extremely large groups of people.

I developed a system quite a few years ago the does bulk email distribution of reports from a government agency to email subscribers. One of the agencies submits up to 700 reports a day and there are a few larger reports (20+ page PDFs) with over 15 thousand subscribers. The bottleneck isn't so much in chugging out the reports but that there is no way to predict how long it will take for the recipient to receive the report in their email inbox.

No. You can get on a plane and travel somewhere you haven't previously visited that has a regional souvenir and obtain one.

I think Pond Bird has adequate notice by this point to: (1) pay attention to the blog, (2) sign up for the weekly newsletter, and (3) not expect a new souvenir every four seconds.

(4) one also can sign up for being notified about new blog posts, then one does not need to pay active attention to the blog.

Even better!

Even better!

If only people (such as myself) that subscribe to the Blog see the Blog posts in their email every time one is submitted especially if it involves a souvenir.

Even better!

If only people (such as myself) that subscribe to the Blog see the Blog posts in their email every time one is submitted especially if it involves a souvenir.

If only we were all part of an activity that indicated we like to go seek out information and places rather than having it hand fed to us.

Hey, wait a minute...

If it does not work you might want to start an inquiry for the source of the problem. There could be multiple reasons - spam folder, problem of your ISP, etc

No. You can get on a plane and travel somewhere you haven't previously visited that has a regional souvenir and obtain one.

With that you get the highly coveted Going Off On A Tangent souvenir. :anibad:

No need for a plane, just get your passport and drive to British Columbia

(do I get the cotangent souvenir?)

No need for a plane, just get your passport and drive to British Columbia

(do I get the cotangent souvenir?)

What about the coveted Secant Tangent Cosine Sine Three Point One Four One Five Nine souvenir?

Depending on the requirements of the souvenir, yes.

Let's say someone wants to host an event in order to allow local cachers to get the souvenir. It may take time to identify and book a venue, organize activities, acquire prizes, etc., and the listing has to be submitted no later than 2 weeks before the date.

Let's say the souvenir requires the finding of a specific type of cache, like a Letterbox Hybrid. If there aren't any caches nearby or they've already found all the local ones, it may take time to plan the necessary travel to a location where one of these caches is available.

Let's say the souvenir requires attending an event. If the event will occur while a cacher is scheduled to be working, they may need to provide sufficient notice to their employer that they want the time off.

In short, there are many reasons why cachers may need time to prepare for a souvenir.