2017 Souvenirs

Pond Bird

There has not been any announcements about any new date based souvenirs yet for this year. Based on past years I am under the impression that they will do these again: CITO souvenir(s) usually one in April and possibly another date (last year was September), International Geocaching Day in August, International Earthcache Day in October and I'm sure they will do some sort of promotion during the summer as they usually do, what dates or caches required is still unknown.

There are also souvenirs that you get for attending Mega events.

• Upvote 1

There has not been any announcements about any new date based souvenirs yet for this year. Based on past years I am under the impression that they will do these again: CITO souvenir(s) usually one in April and possibly another date (last year was September), International Geocaching Day in August, International Earthcache Day in October and I'm sure they will do some sort of promotion during the summer as they usually do, what dates or caches required is still unknown.

And they rarely announce those types of souvenirs months in advance.

As we get closer to the relevant dates, then there will be an announcement.

If the souvenir is for a mega-event, then the page for the event will state that, as far as I've ever seen.

B.

And they rarely announce those types of souvenirs months in advance.

As we get closer to the relevant dates, then there will be an announcement.

If the souvenir is for a mega-event, then the page for the event will state that, as far as I've ever seen.

B.

Yes

I saw a blog saying that there will be new souvenirs coming up but I have no idea what souvenirs are coming up this month or February. I even looked at the A-Team site and nothing new. Anybody know whats coming up this month?

I feel like we've gone over this several times before.

There aren't necessarily any special date-based souvenirs every month. In fact, there are some months when there aren't any souvenirs released at all, even for Mega events (e.g. January 2017). The best ways to learn about new souvenirs are:

• Watch the various official Groundspeak communication methods, including the newsletter, blog, Twitter, and Facebook. Announcements are sometimes made only on one or a few of these, or on one more quickly than the others. The newsletter is usually the slowest because it only comes out once a week.
  • Watch the forums. Often when a non-Mega event souvenir is announced, someone will mention it here.
  • Watch my website. I keep an eye on the above areas and add any known-upcoming souvenirs as I learn about them. If I don't have anything on the list, there's a good chance there either isn't anything or it just hasn't been officially announced yet.

So far, no souvenirs have been announced for 2017. There are the likely candidates like Mega/Giga events and the annually-recurring special days/promotions mentioned by Sherminator18, but nothing official yet.

Edit to add: Earth Day is on April 22, 2017, which is just a hair over 3 months from now. Since you can only submit Events/CITOs as far out as 3 months and assuming that there'll be another CITO week surrounding Earth Day in 2017, I expect we'll see an announcement about a souvenir for that (and potentially another in the fall) within the next week or two.

Edited by The A-Team

I saw a blog saying that there will be new souvenirs coming up but I have no idea what souvenirs are coming up this month or February. I even looked at the A-Team site and nothing new. Anybody know whats coming up this month?

I feel like we've gone over this several times before.

There aren't necessarily any special date-based souvenirs every month. In fact, there are some months when there aren't any souvenirs released at all, even for Mega events (e.g. January 2017). The best ways to learn about new souvenirs are:

• Watch the various official Groundspeak communication methods, including the newsletter, blog, Twitter, and Facebook. Announcements are sometimes made only on one or a few of these, or on one more quickly than the others. The newsletter is usually the slowest because it only comes out once a week.
  • Watch the forums. Often when a non-Mega event souvenir is announced, someone will mention it here.
  • Watch my website. I keep an eye on the above areas and add any known-upcoming souvenirs as I learn about them. If I don't have anything on the list, there's a good chance there either isn't anything or it just hasn't been officially announced yet.

I look at your website frequently when I want to see anything about souvenirs. However, I came across another Souvenirs page that I hadn't looked at before. ProjectGC has a complete list of souvenirs that have been released here: http://project-gc.com/Tools/SouvenirList

One of the interesting pieces of information on the page is that for each of the souvenirs it has a line which shows the "Number of Achievers". I have no idea how that's calculated but some of the souvenirs shown have some interesting numbers. For example, there are a couple of test souvenirs shown with a very small number of achievers:

There is a GC Test Souvenir with 4 achievers.

There is another WWFM 2013 Test souvenir with only 2 achievers and a "real" WWFM 2013 souvenir with 16 achievers even though the description on the souvenirs page indicates that 15,000 geocachers attended a WWFM event that day.

There are a couple COG Spring Fling zero zero seven souvenirs, one with 3 achievers and one with 2 achievers and the Midwest Geobash 2011 has only 1 achiever. How does that happen? I assume these were mega events and that everyone posting an attended log would have achieved the souvenir.

The number of achievers for the country/region based souvenirs is interesting. That would seem to indicate the number of distinct users that have posted a found it or attended log on any cache in the region. For one of the newest country souvenirs, Puerto Rico, the number of achievers is 3303. That would seem to indicate to me that the cost, in terms of computing resources, would be far less for more countries would be far less than those promotional souvenirs in August or other "special dates". The Hello 2016 souvenir, for example, was award to 113,315 users.

In any case, you might want to look over that page to see if there are any on the list that are not listed on your site, even though for date based and event based souvenirs they're no longer obtainable.

[That would seem to indicate to me that the cost, in terms of computing resources, would be far less for more countries would be far less than those promotional souvenirs in August or other "special dates". The Hello 2016 souvenir, for example, was award to 113,315 users.

Given the way the Groundspeak approach works this is not true.

I look at your website frequently when I want to see anything about souvenirs. However, I came across another Souvenirs page that I hadn't looked at before. ProjectGC has a complete list of souvenirs that have been released here: http://project-gc.com/Tools/SouvenirList

Yeah, I've consulted their list in the past to look for any souvenirs I might have missed. I didn't add those questionable ones to my site because they appeared to be errors, where a souvenir was unintentionally made available for a brief period or there was some problem with it. I only list souvenirs that more than a handful of people have received.

One of the interesting pieces of information on the page is that for each of the souvenirs it has a line which shows the "Number of Achievers". I have no idea how that's calculated but some of the souvenirs shown have some interesting numbers.

The API has a call that allows you to retrieve a list of the souvenirs that a member has been awarded. I expect Project-GC is using this to get a list of souvenirs for each member, and then using that data to get a count for each souvenir, which would be simple in most databases.

I have been checking on the A-team list as I stated and there's nothing posted how are people expected to know what souvenirs are coming up for the rest of this month? Is there maybe a souvenir for groundhog day (Feb 2) this year? Yes I agree there will be an April earth related souvenir and a Geocaching in August souvenirs I'm looking to plan to get many souvenirs this year to complete requirements for a challenge.

I have been checking on the A-team list as I stated and there's nothing posted how are people expected to know what souvenirs are coming up for the rest of this month?

I think The A-Team summarized things pretty well in post #6 regarding how to find out about upcoming souvenirs.

Is there maybe a souvenir for groundhog day (Feb 2) this year?

There will not be a souvenir for Groundhog Day.

Yes I agree there will be an April earth related souvenir and a Geocaching in August souvenirs I'm looking to plan to get many souvenirs this year to complete requirements for a challenge.

You asked about souvenirs last summer as well. It sounds like you expect souvenirs to be available every month, but that is not always the case. There may be several months where no souvenirs are available at all. There may be a souvenir offered on a specific date 1 year, but that doesn't mean it will be offered on that same date the next year.

If you need to get more souvenirs, then you could find caches in other states/countries/provinces. Souvenirs for those places, not every country, are available any day of the year. Otherwise, you just have to wait for whatever date-based souvenirs become available and some months there won't be any.

I guess I will have to be patient and wait until March to find about about the souvenirs for March. How do you know there will not be a souvenir for groundhog day? It could be announced at the end of this month or a few days before. I do remember an outdoor day souvenir that was announced a few days before on one of the sources the a-team uses.

I will check out all of the sources a-team mentioned everyday. Of course if anybody sees an upcoming souvenir before others feel free to mention it here as that is the intention for the new thread.

Edited by Pond Bird

I guess I will have to be patient and wait until March to find about about the souvenirs for March. How do you know there will not be a souvenir for groundhog day? It could be announced at the end of this month or a few days before. I do remember an outdoor day souvenir that was announced a few days before on one of the sources the a-team uses.

I will check out all of the sources a-team mentioned everyday. Of course if anybody sees an upcoming souvenir before others feel free to mention it here as that is the intention for the new thread.

The A-Team doesn't have any inside information on what souvenirs might be released. If you look at his list of "Upcoming Souvenirs" they're all associated with a mega event/coin fest. The owner of the event, the reviewer of an event, and Groundspeak employee might have knowledge of an event that is being submitted for a souvenir but us regular geocachers find out when a souvenir is going to be released along with everyone else.

For date base souvenirs, other than International Geocache day and International Earthcache day, pretty much all the other date based souvenirs have been an arbitrary decision by GS to release a souvenir on some day typically as a promotion. For example, last year they did a Haunted Hides souvenir for Halloween but there's no guarantee that they'll do one again this year. If you look at the list of all date based souvenirs you'll only see two in the month of March and those were for "Pi" day March 3, 2015 (03/14/15). There's no reason to expect any souvenirs this March other than any for Mega Events.

In listening to the newest episode of the Inside Geocache HQ podcast (https://www.geocaching.com/blog/podcast/episode-2/) it sounds like there are no souvenirs planned for the beginning of this year. It was also mentioned that they try to change it up every year, they don't want to just repeat souvenirs they've done in the past. So since they did Pi Day souvenirs in 2015, they won't be doing them again. Outside of attending Mega or Giga events and finding caches in new states or countries, new souvenirs don't come out every month. They usually only do 2-3 of these per year and they're usually random and announced a few weeks before the date(s) they can be earned

to get many souvenirs this year to complete requirements for a challenge.

I think it was quite an unfortunate idea to allow challenge caches be based on souvenirs. That raises wrong expectations and more importantly is not really some geocaching related per se.

If you are not in the position to travel a lot, I guess it would be best for you to not expect to be able to collect many new souvenirs that year. Rather be happy if there will be a few in the end and then take it as a positive surprise.

If you are not in the position to travel a lot, I guess it would be best for you to not expect to be able to collect many new souvenirs that year.
Yep. There is a challenge cache around here that has a requirement for 50 Souvenirs. The only reason I meet that requirement is that I was around for the 31 Days of August Souvenirs a few years ago. Other than that one month, and other than traveling a lot to get location-based Souvenirs, there aren't many options for those who want a large number of Souvenirs.

How do you know there will not be a souvenir for groundhog day? It could be announced at the end of this month or a few days before. I do remember an outdoor day souvenir that was announced a few days before on one of the sources the a-team uses.

The Get Outdoors Day souvenir was a bit of a special case. It was first announced a month in advance on May 11 on the blog, but initially it was only going to be available for finding a cache in the USA. It wasn't until closer to the date that they changed it to be available worldwide, at which point it then went out in the newsletter and more people heard about it.

Typically, souvenirs for special days like these are announced well in advance so people can make plans for it, including organizing and submitting Event/CITO listings. It varies from souvenir to souvenir, but usually they'll be announced at least a few weeks in advance, with some souvenirs being announced many months in advance (I seem to remember a CITO souvenir a couple of years ago was announced something like 6+ months in advance). Other than the ill-conceived Get Outdoors Day souvenir, I can't recall an announcement of a souvenir coming less than a week or two in advance.

Just released on The Geocaching Blog:

In 2017, geocachers around the globe will gather together during the weeks of April 22-30 and September 23– October 1 to pick up trash, remove invasive species, repair trails and more—plus earn a pretty sweet new souvenir.

Souvenirs this year for CITO weeks.

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2017/01/6-steps-to-organize-a-cache-in-trash-out-cito-event-2/

In 2017, geocachers around the globe will gather together during the weeks of April 22-30 and September 23– October 1 to pick up trash, remove invasive species, repair trails and more—plus earn a pretty sweet new souvenir.

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2017/01/6-steps-to-organize-a-cache-in-trash-out-cito-event-2/

Nailed it. :laughing:

Earth Day is on April 22, 2017, which is just a hair over 3 months from now. Since you can only submit Events/CITOs as far out as 3 months and assuming that there'll be another CITO week surrounding Earth Day in 2017, I expect we'll see an announcement about a souvenir for that (and potentially another in the fall) within the next week or two.

The relevant entries have been added to my site.

Nailed it. :laughing:

Earth Day is on April 22, 2017, which is just a hair over 3 months from now. Since you can only submit Events/CITOs as far out as 3 months and assuming that there'll be another CITO week surrounding Earth Day in 2017, I expect we'll see an announcement about a souvenir for that (and potentially another in the fall) within the next week or two.

The relevant entries have been added to my site.

You're pretty good :P

It was in the latest newsletter (I got mine on Jan 30th), and is also mentioned here:

I subscribed to the blog but did not get the "newsletter" part at all. Now I will have to keep an even closer eye on the A-Team's site as a new souvenir could be announced that I need to plan for!

It was in the latest newsletter (I got mine on Jan 30th), and is also mentioned here:

I subscribed to the blog but did not get the "newsletter" part at all. Now I will have to keep an even closer eye on the A-Team's site as a new souvenir could be announced that I need to plan for!

Subscribing to the blog has nothing to do with signing up for the newsletter.

As a Premium Member, you will want to sign up for the newsletter. B)

1.2. Weekly Email Newsletter

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=104

B.

B.

This is not the first time he's brought up that he's had this issue. Apparently the problem of not getting the newsletter has never been corrected. I have never had a problem I get emails from Geocaching HQ very frequently. This is how I get a lot of my information. If you want to know something you just have to know where to look for it.

Dude.

Settings --> Email Preferences --> Check the box beside "Weekly Newsletter"

B.

This is not the first time he's brought up that he's had this issue. Apparently the problem of not getting the newsletter has never been corrected. I have never had a problem I get emails from Geocaching HQ very frequently. This is how I get a lot of my information. If you want to know something you just have to know where to look for it.

You're right, it hasn't been corrected since I have both Tips & Tricks checked and Weekly Newsletter checked and did not get an email about the CITO souvenirs this week. I did however get an email a couple days ago from following the Blog where somebody had posted instructions on what to do if you host a CITO event and it said something like "on September 23 geocachers from all over the world will be hosting CITO events." I'm guessing that Blog email was alluding to the CITO week in September ending on October 1st. The blog is working fine, somebody posted a blog about "cache of the week, is there one near you?" or something like that. Yes blog posts I get most of those emails, Newsletter and Tips & Tricks there's NOTHING in my inbox at all, even checked junk mail.

B.

You're right, it hasn't been corrected since I have both Tips & Tricks checked and Weekly Newsletter checked and did not get an email about the CITO souvenirs this week. I did however get an email a couple days ago from following the Blog where somebody had posted instructions on what to do if you host a CITO event and it said something like "on September 23 geocachers from all over the world will be hosting CITO events." I'm guessing that Blog email was alluding to the CITO week in September ending on October 1st. The blog is working fine, somebody posted a blog about "cache of the week, is there one near you?" or something like that. Yes blog posts I get most of those emails, Newsletter and Tips & Tricks there's NOTHING in my inbox at all, even checked junk mail.

That is the blog post we are all talking about.

This is from that blog post:

B.

I'm saying I didn't get that newsletter dated January 26, 2017 (or any of the 5 so far this year) but I did get the blog post somebody posted on January 31st.

Edited by Pond Bird

B.

I'm saying I didn't get that newsletter dated January 26, 2017 (or any of the 5 so far this year) but I did get the blog post somebody posted on January 31st.

I'm not sure what the problem is then. Maybe you should email HQ... Or just check their blog every once in awhile.

The new blog hinted at something going on for Valentine's Day so maybe there's going to be a souvenir for that day.

What blog are you talking about?

I don't see anything about Valentine's Day 2017 on the Groundspeak blog:

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/

Did you get in contact with Groundspeak about not receiving the weekly newsletter? (which has NOTHING to do with subscribing to the GS blog)

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

The new blog hinted at something going on for Valentine's Day so maybe there's going to be a souvenir for that day.

Did you get in contact with Groundspeak about not receiving the weekly newsletter? (which has NOTHING to do with subscribing to the GS blog)

B.

I just saw an email from today that people will be going geocaching on Valentine's Day. Sounded a lot like the wording for the September CITO week.

B.

I just saw an email from today that people will be going geocaching on Valentine's Day. Sounded a lot like the wording for the September CITO week.

So you ARE receiving the GS weekly newsletter.

GS newsletter of today:

Valentine’s Day + geocaching = one sweet combo.

Valentine’s Day is just a week away! For some of us, it’s just another day to log some caches, but if you’re still trying to figure out what to get the special geocacher in your life this Valentine’s Day, you’re in luck! We’ve put together a list of gifts that any geocacher would love to have – especially us!

7 gift suggestions to take Valentine’s Day from average to BEST DAY EVER:

1. Trackable Love Lock

2. Guide to Geocaching Starter Kit

3. Trackable Charm Bracelet

4. Geocaching GPS Stories Book

5. “I <3 GC” Trackable Necklace

6. Men’s Trackable Travel Bug T-Shirt

7. MiiR Stainless Steel Water Bottle

Got some great Valentine’s Day ideas of your own? Share them with us on Twitter using #geocaching! And for those whose special someone is a GPS and the trails – enjoy it! No special occasion required to just get out and do the things we love!

That's a sales pitch. I don't get any "souvenir" vibe from it at all.

Newsletter from last week:

Get ready for Two Weeks of CITO in 2017

Cache In Trash Out® events bring geocachers together to care for the geocaching game board: planet Earth. CITO events may include tree planting, litter pick up, or event habitat restoration. They’re a chance for geocachers to give back to their local spaces and communities.

This year you’ll have two opportunities to earn special CITO 2017 souvenirs by attending CITO events during the 15th Annual Cache In Trash Out Weeks: April 22-30 and September 23-October 1.

B.