Garmin Etrex 30

Gatwick Girl

Hi all,

I have been using my Garmin Etrex 30 for about two years now, simply by downloading caches as .GPX files from the Geocaching map page via a USB cable. This has always suited me fine as I can plan a particular route or individual caches I want to do in advance. However, I've noticed a few times I've got out into the field, my Garmin doesn't recognise the caches that have been downloaded.

For example, this morning I downloaded three caches (which were close together) on to the Garmin, and 30 minutes later I'm out at GZ for the first one ready to search. The Garmin tells me there's no caches there. When I get home and try to download the caches again, the Garmin tells me that the file already exists and do I want to replace it? So the files are definitely there but just won't show when I need them to.

Just to clarify, this only happens sometimes so I don't know if it is an intermittent fault with the Garmin, or whether there's something obvious that I can do to avoid wasting my valuable caching time....!!

Thanks in advance!

Assuming that you have not loaded more gpx files than the etrex 30 can handle (2000?) and that the files were completely transferred to the unit without an error, then the first thing that comes to my mind is indexing. I do not have an etrex but with other Garmin units I have had occasional problems with files not being indexed. In other words, I have loaded a gpx file into the Garmin but when I go out into the field the cache data is missing even though the file is there. It might be similar to what you report.

This problem can be corrected on a computer (or other device that shows the file structure on the Garmin). Delete (or move) the gpx files on the Garmin. Turn the unit off and on again. Restore the files. When the unit is restarted after the files have been replaced, it will reindex them and they should all be there.

If the gpx files are stored on an sd card, you can simply remove the card. Start the garmin. Turn it off. Reinsert the sd card. When the unit is restarted, it should properly index the files that are on the card.

I once contacted garmin support about this and did not get much help. Updated firmware seemed to correct the problem in the unit I was using at the time. Some people report that using their computer's features to safely remove the usb device before unplugging it solved the problem for them.

Edited by geodarts

Hi all,

I have been using my Garmin Etrex 30 for about two years now, simply by downloading caches as .GPX files from the Geocaching map page via a USB cable. This has always suited me fine as I can plan a particular route or individual caches I want to do in advance. However, I've noticed a few times I've got out into the field, my Garmin doesn't recognise the caches that have been downloaded.

I had the eTrex 30 and had the same issue every now and then. There is a simple work-around...

First, install a micro-SD memory card. You don't need a big one - an 8GB will do you fine and they are really cheap.

Second, ALWAYS save your GPX files to the SD card and not the internal memory.

Third, If it comes up and says no caches, Turn it off, remove the SD card, turn it on, turn off, replace SD card and turn on again. They always show up after this.

Sounds a little cumbersome, but only takes 2-3 minutes. The previous posting explains the occasional failure of the eTrex to properly index a new GPX file.

Last, Check to see that you have the latest firmware in the eTrex. Later versions of the firmware were MUCH better with this issue.

Although I have another Garmin model now, I still boot it up and check to see that it sees the caches I just downloaded to it before leaving the house. I don't need to do this any more, but it was such a habit with the eTrex 30 that I still do it.

• Surprised 1

Many thanks for this info. I haven't been using a SD card but sounds like I should get myself one and hopefully solve my problem!

I shall keep you posted with how I get on....

Thanks again.

I would have thought you would already have an SD card for maps. The installed basemap is pretty poor, it is where I am. I have Aus/NZ, UK and Nth America on SD cards.

Many thanks for this info. I haven't been using a SD card but sounds like I should get myself one and hopefully solve my problem!

I shall keep you posted with how I get on....

Thanks again.

I would have thought you would already have an SD card for maps. The installed basemap is pretty poor, it is where I am. I have Aus/NZ, UK and Nth America on SD cards.

The installed basemap is pretty poor pretty much everywhere. I use two SD cards. I have one which I keep "local" maps (for me, it has all of the Eastern U.S. and California (where I have family). Whenever I'm about to travel I use a different SD card onto which I'll download maps created from the the opencaching for Garmin site. I think my travel card currently has maps for Iceland and parts of Montreal on it. Assuming my plans work out I'll be going to Australia in June, possibly with a layover in New Zealand, so I'll put maps for where I'll be traveling onto the travel card, and when I get home, put the "local" card back in for the small amount of geocaching I do locally.

I have an eTrex 20 and don't use an SD card. I had similar experiences as the OP, which was very annoying when I had loaded up my GPSr for a trip and then couldn't see any caches on my GPSr once we arrived at our destination.

I had read about indexing and ended up with the following process. Haven't had the 'missing caches' issue since then.

• Connect GPSr to PC
  • Delete old/unwanted .gpx files from Garmin\GPX folder -- don't need to delete ALL .gpx files
  • Disconnect GPSr from PC
  • Turn on GPSr -- this re-indexing process seems to be crucial
  • Turn off GPSr
  • Connect GPSr to PC
  • Copy .gpx files to Garmin\GPX folder

I think that overwriting .gpx files can be problematic.

Also, I'm pretty sure the eTrex 30 has a 5000 cache limit, not 2000. I've regularly loaded more than 2000 caches to my eTrex 20, so I'd expect the eTrex 30 to have same/more capacity.

[...] I'm pretty sure the eTrex 30 has a 5000 cache limit, not 2000. [...]

Right. The Geocache's limit is 5000. But there is still an absolute limit on gpx files at all (single cache files, tracks, routes) which is 2000 nowadays (was 200 on older units).

hans

Edited by HHL

I have an eTrex 20 and don't use an SD card. I had similar experiences as the OP, which was very annoying when I had loaded up my GPSr for a trip and then couldn't see any caches on my GPSr once we arrived at our destination.

I had read about indexing and ended up with the following process. Haven't had the 'missing caches' issue since then.

• Connect GPSr to PC
  • Delete old/unwanted .gpx files from Garmin\GPX folder -- don't need to delete ALL .gpx files
  • Turn off GPSr
  • Connect GPSr to PC

Also, I'm pretty sure the eTrex 30 has a 5000 cache limit, not 2000. I've regularly loaded more than 2000 caches to my eTrex 20, so I'd expect the eTrex 30 to have same/more capacity.

I also have a Etrex 20 and tried your suggestions but I still cannot find the caches on the Etrex under waypoints or geocaches.

Any other suggestions?

Edited by cougarscout

• Connect GPSr to PC
  • Turn off GPSr
  • Connect GPSr to PC

I also have a Etrex 20 and tried your suggestions but I still cannot find the caches on the Etrex under waypoints or geocaches.

Any other suggestions?

I would try what noncentric said except I disagree with his second step. Since one doesn't know which file is causing the indexing problem it is always best to remove all GPX and LOC files. This will insure the existing bad index is cleaned out when you restart the GPS with no files.

• Connect GPSr to PC
  • Turn off GPSr
  • Connect GPSr to PC

Any other suggestions?

I would try what noncentric said except I disagree with his second step. Since one doesn't know which file is causing the indexing problem it is always best to remove all GPX and LOC files. This will insure the existing bad index is cleaned out when you restart the GPS with no files.

My apologies. The steps I outlined are what I follow when I load .gpx files on a routine basis, when everything is working fine and I just want to update/add/remove caches from my GPSr.

If there is an overarching issue, as described in the OP, then yes - deleting ALL the .gpx files and turning on/off (to re-index the device) would be the best course of action.

I think I have solved my original problem without an SD card, for the time being at least!

Now I just download the .GPX files to my laptop, then copy them across to my Etrex 30 in one go, rather than downloading each cache individually to it. So far this seems to have worked so fingers crossed!

Thanks for everyone's advice and Happy Caching..... :)

I found that I have to use iCaching.app as an intermediary. From Geocache site download the cache as a GPX file, then open iCaching.app and import GPX files. You will need to select the ones you want. Then once imported, attach Etrex to the computer and export to GPS. The only problem is that the export screen needs continual save/cancel until it shows GPF as the destination.

There probably is a much quicker way. I could not export directly from the geocache site to the etrex 20. In case it matters I use Macintosh OS 11. something.