Next Golden Spike Event cache

dasein

Dasein here, finally getting around to making a thread for the next PDX Golden Spike (aka 'The Golden Ticket' this week) event cache that we and Shmoe are planning.

How's about Tuesday October 8th; a multi-cache that will lead to a gathering place at the end where people can have dinner and drinks. Nothing complicated like The Game or The Cube (at least in our minds) but we guarantee it will be a unique experience! More info to come later...

quote:
Originally posted by dasein:How's about Tuesday October 8th; a multi-cache that will lead to a gathering place at the end where people can have dinner and drinks....

I return from Mexico on the 7th. I am unsure I will have recovered from that adventure enough.(From the tequila and NOT from 'anybodys' revenge) icon_razz.gif

Anyway, I will try, just post the info and we will attempt! -C

"I put instant soup in a microwave and almost went back in time." -Stephen Wright

quote:
Originally posted by dasein:How's about Tuesday October 8th; a multi-cache that will lead to a gathering place at the end where people can have dinner and drinks....

I return from Mexico on the 7th. I am unsure I will have recovered from that adventure enough.(From the tequila and NOT from 'anybodys' revenge) icon_razz.gif

Anyway, I will try, just post the info and we will attempt! -C

"I put instant soup in a microwave and almost went back in time." -Stephen Wright

quote:
Originally posted by drea:

If you made it the 15th or 16th I could come...

Drea

We chose October 8th 'cause 2 days later doug and I will be in Tahiti for 10 days. Figured ya'll wouldn't want to wait a whole month until the next Golden Spike event, and frankly, neither do we.

1) Cache event and meeting spot will be on the eastside of Portland.

2) Meet time will likely be 7pm sharp, latecomers SOL. You can wait to have dinner until the final meeting point, if you'd like. Everyone should be there absolutely no later than 9pm.

3) Group hunt; carpooling to initial meet site and subsequent cache sites encouraged--for fun and convenience sake.

4) Group should have a few cell phones (the more the merrier!) and some flashlights and GPS's.

5) We and Shmoe are gonna get the details worked out over the weekend and likely will be able to submit an event cache for approval early next week. Providing it gets approved, you will be able to count it as a 'find' like 'The Game' and 'The Cube.'

6) We've got a cache name decided on, but we're not releasing that information...yet!

We got the meeting spot and 3 of 4 waypoints figured out today, including the final waypoint.

Checked out the menu at the final meeting spot and had a drink. Everyone should be able to find something to eat if they wish to do so. We have personally sampled some of the food and find it quite tasty! We'll be dining like kings while you guys are hunting the caches! icon_biggrin.gif

This should prove to be quite fun for everyone. We are very excited about the details we planned today! Tomorrow we'll be able to submit a cache event page for approval.

BTW, this cache event will take place rain or shine. Much of it will be done in the dark, adding to the excitement! Watch for the approved cache page in the next couple of days, and let us know that you are able to come!

--dasein and Shmoe

We got the meeting spot and 3 of 4 waypoints figured out today, including the final waypoint.

Checked out the menu at the final meeting spot and had a drink. Everyone should be able to find something to eat if they wish to do so. We have personally sampled some of the food and find it quite tasty! We'll be dining like kings while you guys are hunting the caches! icon_biggrin.gif

This should prove to be quite fun for everyone. We are very excited about the details we planned today! Tomorrow we'll be able to submit a cache event page for approval.

BTW, this cache event will take place rain or shine. Much of it will be done in the dark, adding to the excitement! Watch for the approved cache page in the next couple of days, and let us know that you are able to come!

--dasein and Shmoe

"a multi-cache that will lead to a gathering place at the end."

EEEK!

I've just gotten started! icon_frown.gif

Any chance just to share with me the coordinates at the endpoint so that I can at least have half a chance at finding the place?

-Elana

(reply to geo@(RemoveSpamtrap)dreamcircle.com

"Defenestrate XP!"

"a multi-cache that will lead to a gathering place at the end."

EEEK!

I've just gotten started! icon_frown.gif

Any chance just to share with me the coordinates at the endpoint so that I can at least have half a chance at finding the place?

-Elana

(reply to geo@(RemoveSpamtrap)dreamcircle.com

"Defenestrate XP!"

The 20+ person Geo-blob. A huge chaotic mass of flesh & GPSs all moving in unison down the Max line. It was great watching most everyone start out trying to key in the next waypoints... until most of us figured out we could follow the 1 or 2 people with the fastest fingers. They say that in life you're either a leader, or a follower. I was definately a follower. I had a point when I started this post... oh yeah... DON'T WORRY! Show up... and prepare to follow everyone else around for the rest of the night.

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again..." Mt. 13:44

Whatever that thing was... that we did that time... with those people... who are all of you? Why am I here? I think the radiation from Fractal's Marbles is effecting my brain... too much prolongued exposure to the forum. See y'all next week.

Made it home! Thanks guys, it was a ton o' fun. I liked the 2nd to last waypoint a lot, and the final waypoint a lotter. Lots of work put into this one, as is per usual with these bi-weekly or monthly gatherings. But i have two questions: why is the final waypoint/bar always within a mile or so of my apartment? Do i live in that happening of a neighborhood?

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

why is the final waypoint/bar always within a mile or so of my apartment? Do i live in that happening of a neighborhood?

1) as a courtesy to you! (read: within staggering distance home!)

2) Yeah, this area rocks! Which came first: Oregone, or the bars?

It was indeed a ton of fun!

I really liked the library puzzle at the end... With LaurenCat and Bodoni doing the searching, and then the 'how to do the math' part all of a sudden clicking in my head, I felt like we were some sort of perfect puzzle solving team...

Lots of fun conversation afterwards..as usual...

-fractal

I loved how the post cache event conversation jumped from strippers to go carts to strippers to caches to tatoos to hoties to who's picking up the tab to strippers. You guy's know how to party. Did I leave out beer? Great event. I'm sorry, I went to go grab a cold one and forgot to mention the performing pandas. Good fun. Thanks everybody.

[This message was edited by Sassquatch on October 09, 2002 at 04:28 AM.]

It was great fun... I think it's cool getting together with a group of cachers, and not having the conversation revolve around caching. There were quite a few topic changes. The Pirates gave us all a run for our money... even though it was a "group" cache. Looking forward to seeing some of you guys again at Slinger's event in a couple weeks.

Thanks to everyone who came to 'Do we, or don't we?' yesterday. Doug and I and Joe had a fun time planning it for you. Although not everything went exactly as planned, the feedback we got was good and it sounded like everyone had a good time. We learned a lot by doing this. Thanks for the lesson, and we hope to host another event sometime next year.

Looks like just about everyone has posted their find for this, so I'll deactivate it tomorrow evening before we go on vacation. We won't be back until the 21st. I'll be going through geocaching.com withdrawl! Luckily there are a few caches on Moorea and Bora Bora where we are going, and we're prepared to go find 'em! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks to everyone who came to 'Do we, or don't we?' yesterday. Doug and I and Joe had a fun time planning it for you. Although not everything went exactly as planned, the feedback we got was good and it sounded like everyone had a good time. We learned a lot by doing this. Thanks for the lesson, and we hope to host another event sometime next year.

Looks like just about everyone has posted their find for this, so I'll deactivate it tomorrow evening before we go on vacation. We won't be back until the 21st. I'll be going through geocaching.com withdrawl! Luckily there are a few caches on Moorea and Bora Bora where we are going, and we're prepared to go find 'em! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by dasein:

... vacation. We won't be back until the 21st. I'll be going through geocaching.com withdrawl! Luckily there are a few caches on Moorea and Bora Bora where we are going, and we're prepared to go find 'em! icon_biggrin.gif

Sometimes, if you can't log on here on a daily basis, you come up with even better cache ideas icon_wink.gif

Thanks again.. And have a safe trip!

-fractal

quote:
Originally posted by dasein:

... vacation. We won't be back until the 21st. I'll be going through geocaching.com withdrawl! Luckily there are a few caches on Moorea and Bora Bora where we are going, and we're prepared to go find 'em! icon_biggrin.gif

Sometimes, if you can't log on here on a daily basis, you come up with even better cache ideas icon_wink.gif

Thanks again.. And have a safe trip!

-fractal