Temperance Halls

Rifling through our mountain of pix, looking for something else, I came across some pix of a temperance hall in Nova Scotia that we took in 2015. Given the spate of new category proposals of late it naturally occurred to me that I should present this proposal. The hall was built in 1880-81, replacing one built in 1829 or 1830. Organized on April 28, 1828 the society that built it is thought to have been the first to be established in Canada, possibly the first in North America.

Though I haven't yet researched temperance halls to any great extent, I do know that there seems to be quite a few still standing. Temperance groups have been formed, beginning in the 1820s, in the UK, on the European mainland, Canada, the US, Australia, New Zealand, even Sri Lanka. This seems to me to be the making of a really nice historical category, though I don't expect it to reach 1,000 posts any time soon.

So far I have found two that we have driven right by, not knowing they were there. We're now 4,000 km.+ away from them, so there's little chance we'll be getting those.

So, are there any temperance halls near you?

Keith

I do not know of any temperance halls in Texas. Most of our temperance societies operated out of churches or rented storefront space. But I am aware that temperance SOCIETIES built public water fountains infrastructure and monuments to virtue, to encourage folks to drink water and not beer -- could those be included as Relics of the Temperance Movement, which might be a broader category with more global waymark possibilities anyway?? :)

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

...I am aware that temperance SOCIETIES built public water fountains infrastructure and monuments to virtue, to encourage folks to drink water and not beer -- could those be included as Relics of the Temperance Movement, which might be a broader category with more global waymark possibilities anyway?? :)

I had considered the fountain possibility. People might point out that they could also go in "Fountains", but I have never been opposed to cross posting interesting and historical items.

As for "Relics of the Temperance Movement", I had also considered this possibility. One Relic which comes to mind is plaques and monuments marking the former locations of temperance halls. Then we have actual temperance monuments. Haven't discovered any of these but I suspected that they must (have) exist(ed).

Elyob's discovery of 65 temperance halls at Historic Places Canada is heartening. Hadn't yet thought to search there. By extrapolation this should mean that the U.S. National Register of Historic Places would yield 650 to 700 sites.

LATER: I just searched the National Register Focus database using the single word "temperance" and got but 10 hits. I thought that strange. Searching the weekly list page I got 2 hits, one of which was a brewery. :unsure:

Edited by BK-Hunters

...I am aware that temperance SOCIETIES built public water fountains infrastructure and monuments to virtue, to encourage folks to drink water and not beer -- could those be included as Relics of the Temperance Movement, which might be a broader category with more global waymark possibilities anyway?? :)

I had considered the fountain possibility. People might point out that they could also go in "Fountains", but I have never been opposed to cross posting interesting and historical items.

As for "Relics of the Temperance Movement", I had also considered this possibility. One Relic which comes to mind is plaques and monuments marking the former locations of temperance halls. Then we have actual temperance monuments. Haven't discovered any of these but I suspected that they must (have) exist(ed).

Elyob's discovery of 65 temperance halls at Historic Places Canada is heartening. Hadn't yet thought to search there. By extrapolation this should mean that the U.S. National Register of Historic Places would yield 650 to 700 sites.

LATER: I just searched the National Register Focus database using the single word "temperance" and got but 10 hits. I thought that strange. Searching the weekly list page I got 2 hits, one of which was a brewery. :unsure:

I think your search engine is just being intemperate. LOL