Knights of Malta (Hospitallers)

The idea is superb, there are so many things related to this Chevaleresque Order.

I also agree with Alfouine, it would be desirable to add the two other orders (Templars and Teutonic) because finally the Knights of Malta descend some of these Orders created at the time of the Crusades.

I am thinking about creating a category around sites related to the Knights of Malta, from their beginnings in the crusades to their modern incarnation. Any thoughts?

Ok - I'm intrigued. Sites like what?

This would include any site which as a "story" to tell about the knights including castles, battlefields, residences, location of charitable activities, meeting houses, museums, monuments/memorials, statues of members, places related to the activities of current members.

This would include any site which as a "story" to tell about the knights including castles, battlefields, residences, location of charitable activities, meeting houses, museums, monuments/memorials, statues of members, places related to the activities of current members.

These four categories will accept your inclusions.

Battlefields

Castles

History Museums

War and Military Museums

Depending on how the plaque/sign is written and the historical information these are possibilities: You need to read their specific guidelines

Living Statues - Members who are still living

Meeting houses - Depends on who uses it.

Residences - Depending if it is a historical landmark, or on a community register

Specific Wars Monuments and Memorials - Maybe, depending how the plaque or sign is worded

Statues of Historic Figures - Depending on the historical significance of the individual

There could be other categories that would accept some of your inclusions.

Battlefields

Castles

History Museums

War and Military Museums

Depending on how the plaque/sign is written and the historical information these are possibilities: You need to read their specific guidelines

Residences - Depending if it is a historical landmark, or on a community register

Specific Wars Monuments and Memorials - Maybe, depending how the plaque or sign is worded

Statues of Historic Figures - Depending on the historical significance of the individual

Sorry BK Hunters. I did not quite understand the meaning of your post.

It's on all continents.

Antarctica - 0

Australia - 3, two of which are private residences.

Sites having to do with the following represent their charitable work.

The Priories of Queensland, the Darling Downs and Victoria have been particularly active in their charitable activities. In the calendar year 2015 over $116.000 was donated to charities by the Order. These funds are in addition to the considerable amounts which are given by members privately. The devastating floods of 2011 are a case in point. Following is a brief summary of the various causes supported since 2011:-

Anglican Church Flood Relief;     

St Vincent De Paul Flood Relief;    

Uniting Church of Queensland Flood Relief;

Qld Premier's Disaster Relief Fund;

Australian Red Cross Qld Flood Relief Fund;

Australian Red Cross New Zealand Earthquake Appeal;

Queensland Schizophrenic Research Foundation;

Prince Charles Hospital Foundation;

RACQ Care Flight Downs;

Hear & Say Centre;

Surfers Paradise Anglican Crisis Care;

Institute for Glycomics, Griffith University;

Diabetes Centre, St. Vincents Hospital;

The Mother and Child Relief Foundation

Art from the Margins.

Battlefields

Castles

History Museums

War and Military Museums

Redundancy comes to mind.

Battlefields

Castles

History Museums

War and Military Museums

I can think of many categories which are transversal across other categories - any historic marker for example. A barn would fit in the barns category but also could be part of a centennial farm. A Ben Franklin statue could be logged in it's own category but also in statues of historic figures. I'm not sure I see how this category would be any different.

Battlefields

Castles

History Museums

War and Military Museums

I can think of many categories which are transversal across other categories - any historic marker for example. A barn would fit in the barns category but also could be part of a centennial farm. A Ben Franklin statue could be logged in it's own category but also in statues of historic figures. I'm not sure I see how this category would be any different.

Oh, I see another copy and past category.

Battlefields

Castles

History Museums

War and Military Museums

Just as a point of reference, perhaps I would suggest you read the vote comments with the category now in peer review. Redundancy was one of the main objections. However, this should never have been an issue in the first place as the category referenced Preserved Machines on Public Display; the leader made it perfectly clear that items suggested in the new category never were or never will be accepted into Preserved Machines on Public Display category. Yet there were about 5 deny votes that referenced the Preserved Machines on Public Display as a redundancy issue. So though it was clearly stated that this was not a redundancy issue, could not convince some to read the forum posts about this very issue. Consider reading the vote comments as part of the learning process.

Edited by BK-Hunters

It's on all continents.

Antarctica - 0

The Priories of Queensland, the Darling Downs and Victoria have been particularly active in their charitable activities. In the calendar year 2015 over $116.000 was donated to charities by the Order. These funds are in addition to the considerable amounts which are given by members privately. The devastating floods of 2011 are a case in point. Following is a brief summary of the various causes supported since 2011:-

Australian Red Cross New Zealand Earthquake Appeal;

RACQ Care Flight Downs;

Hear & Say Centre;

Art from the Margins.

These aren't standalone locations that could be waymarked. The Order operates from within other organisations or is part of an appeal or fund in times of emergency. The Order has an office in Darlinghurst, Sydney.

The category requirement would make it clear that the description needed to justify the connection to the relavant spiritual warrior group. This would most likely (but possibly not in all cases) result in the text being different from postings in the other connected categories.

Edited by RakeInTheCache

It's on all continents.

Antarctica - 0

The Priories of Queensland, the Darling Downs and Victoria have been particularly active in their charitable activities. In the calendar year 2015 over $116.000 was donated to charities by the Order. These funds are in addition to the considerable amounts which are given by members privately. The devastating floods of 2011 are a case in point. Following is a brief summary of the various causes supported since 2011:-

RACQ Care Flight Downs;

Hear & Say Centre;

Art from the Margins.

These aren't standalone locations that could be waymarked. The Order operates from within other organisations or is part of an appeal or fund in times of emergency. The Order has an office in Darlinghurst, Sydney.

Yes, the post needs a little more detail.

http://orderofmalta.org.au/around-the-world/winter-coats-donated-to-aucklands-homeless-by-catholic-church

In the above link you will find that the knights gifted 24 coats to the James Liston Hostel in Freemans Bay. This hostel would be eligible to be waymarked under this category.

So -- just to be clear, am I Waymarking places where Knights of Malta (as an example) ARE, or places where they have BEEN doing things, even if just once?

Our Dallas KoM chapter feeds homeless folks every weekend at a vacant lot in South Dallas. Can I waymark that lot, even if the KoM are not there (I would not ever take pictures of KoM feeding hungry homeless people).

KoM have donated to Scottish Rite Hospital in Dallas - can I waymark SRH in this category, even though there aren't any plaques about the donation?

KoM work with St Vincent De Paul and Catholic Charities -- do I waymark the SVdeP and Catholic Charities thrift stores? Offices?

KoM have their meetings and special Masses at St Monica's Catholic Church. I presume I could waymark St Monica's in this category?

What level of proof would be required to waymark a place in this category? Will news articles be acceptable? Websites?

What is the point of this waymark category? Is it to focus on the history of the chivalric organization, the locations where they are, or the things that they do?

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I am just trying to wrap my mind around what I would be Waymarking.

It's on all continents.

Antarctica - 0

RACQ Care Flight Downs;

Hear & Say Centre;

Art from the Margins.

Yes, the post needs a little more detail.

http://orderofmalta....catholic-church

In the above link you will find that the knights gifted 24 coats to the James Liston Hostel in Freemans Bay. This hostel would be eligible to be waymarked under this category.

Clutching at straws to some how or other see these gifts as connecting the Order of Malta to the hostel. If it was a really BIG donation they might get a plaque with the details at the front door but still not part of the hostel. As far as I can see there is only one office for the Order in Australia.

Hmmmm, I see I'll have to think this through a bit more. I see that "Sites having to do with the following represent their charitable work" might be somewhat problematic so I might need to backtrack on that.

But I just want to reiterate that objects on permanent public display would also be included and we are now talking about a broader category which goes beyond the knights of Malta and includes Samurai paraphernalia. I'm not sure how you could count how many such sites there are in Australia.

Edited by RakeInTheCache

The category requirement would make it clear that the description needed to justify the connection to the relavant spiritual warrior group. This would most likely (but possibly not in all cases) result in the text being different from postings in the other connected categories.

The copy and paste category comment was to make a point about the redundancy factor, if a cross posting is done I missed how this would make it any different.

As an example: A Castle in the Castle category would only improve the submission with additional information about the relevant spiritual warrior group.

As I suggested before, there is another category currently in peer review that the redundancy issue was brought up several times.

I would appreciate a response to the concerns I expressed earlier about the redundancy issue. I am still not convinced providing different text in the long description changes the fact some of your inclusions are redundant.

The copy and paste category comment was to make a point about the redundancy factor, if a cross posting is done I missed how this would make it any different.

As an example: A Castle in the Castle category would only improve the submission with additional information about the relevant spiritual warrior group.

As I suggested before, there is another category currently in peer review that the redundancy issue was brought up several times.

I would appreciate a response to the concerns I expressed earlier about the redundancy issue. I am still not convinced providing different text in the long description changes the fact some of your inclusions are redundant.

Just out of curiousity, did the redundancy issue sink the category? I guess this is a bit of a philosophical discussion about the meaning of redundancy and to what degree it applies.

There are myriads of examples in Waymarking today of waymarks which could be cross posted to many categories. I personally do not have a problem with this. For me, each category adds a different dimension to the interest of the location.

For me redundancy comes into play if for example, there was a category called Legacy of Spiritual Warriors already created and someone came along and proposed a category for the Knights of Malta. Or there was already a category called "Religious Fighters" and someone came along and proposed a category called Legacy of Spiritual Warriors.

Would you vote "no" against a category "Historical Monuments of Country X" because some castles for which there is also a category would also fit into this category? I find this stretching the definition of redundancy.

Fear of redundancy seems to be the thing in peer review this month.

From the peer review criteria:

Redundant - Could this category be included as a variable in an existing category? For instance, let's say this new category is called "Blue Lighthouses". But, wait! There may already be a "Lighthouses category". Would it make more sense to add a variable for different colors in the "Lighthouses" details?

This is quite clear. A new category proposal is redundant if it is a subset of an existing category.

Not if an existing category could be changed to accept new submissions, and not if all (or almost all) potential waymarks in this category could also be posted to a variety of different categories (but not all to the same one). If you don't like a category idea for these two reasons, then you are free to vote against it, but don't call it redundant.

Fear of redundancy seems to be the thing in peer review this month.

From the peer review criteria:

Redundant - Could this category be included as a variable in an existing category? For instance, let's say this new category is called "Blue Lighthouses". But, wait! There may already be a "Lighthouses category". Would it make more sense to add a variable for different colors in the "Lighthouses" details?

This is quite clear. A new category proposal is redundant if it is a subset of an existing category.

Not if an existing category could be changed to accept new submissions, and not if all (or almost all) potential waymarks in this category could also be posted to a variety of different categories (but not all to the same one). If you don't like a category idea for these two reasons, then you are free to vote against it, but don't call it redundant.

fi67, Actually I agree with your comment. The reason I brought the redundant issue to the forefront and tried to stress the possible objections if this category makes it to peer review, was to bring awareness to that possibility and to prepare RakeInTheCache before hand. This will give RakeInTheCache the opportunity to defuse the redundant issue before peer review.

As I previously mentioned, the last two peer reviews this same issue came up, though both was/is a non-issue. The outcome of the vote was not adversely effected, that I am aware though the DAP is not active yet and the Dovecotes is still in peer review and will mostly likely pass.

I was just trying to muddy the waters. This proposal has other obstacles to overcome.

Edited by BK-Hunters