Wednesday Night Ghost Fright! Part II

soup

Hello fellow Geostbusters.

I decided to start another topic (I don’t want to wade through 53 posts for a recap).

Anyway, The final number of attendees is 25. I suppose we can all cram into the Mystery Machine along with Fred, Velma, and Daphne. I think we can all fit, just shove the Scooby snacks aside.

It’s a work night for me, so I will get to Hobo’s about 7-7:30ish this Wednesday. Could somebody save a table toward the back for us? Maybe out by the little courtyard? Doesn’t matter really.

I will have a waiver for you to sign and I will keep a list of folks who have already sent me money. If you haven’t paid already, then just bring the money to Hobo’s restaurant.

We will work out all the remaining details there, over a spirited beer.

Cant wait to see the ol’ gang again, and some fresh new faces.

-soupbuster

People attending

Makaio 1

Syn 1

Laurencat 2

Fractal 1

Mysister 1

Bodoni 1

oregone 1

Theta_null 3 (P)

1pilot 2

Dasein 2 (P)

slinger91 1

soup 1

my Coworkers 8 (P)

"I put instant soup in a microwave and almost went back in time." -Stephen Wright

Soup and the gang,

I was going to try to make another Wed. night gig but this won't be it. I will be spending a lovely 4 days with my bride of 28 years in the beautiful State of Connecticut.

Wed. night we plan to go to a place famous for their 2-10 lb. lobsters. I would much rather be with you folks, no wait that's a lie.

Well I will be with you "in spirit" anyway. Have a great time. BTW, Laurencat I have two lovely 8 week old tabby female kittens looking for a home, do you know anyone who is interested?????

KTF !!! GBWY !!!

Hey soup, if my friend emily doesn't show is that gonna be the end of the world? last time i talked to her (1 week ago) she still wanted to go. but since all my friends have a mean flakiness streak, i don't know if she'll actually make it. let's say i am 67% sure.

anyhow, assuming i don't flake (kidding) i'll be there at 6-6:30.

....oh trafcon... don't tempt me with kittens. joey is finally a big, big kitty. looking at pictures of him when he was little makes me a little nostalgic. i'll ask my un-flakey friends, though...

see you all later!

If there's gravity, then how you explain birds!?!

quote:
Originally posted by LaurenCat:

Hey soup, if my friend emily doesn't show is that gonna be the end of the world?

Its only the end of the world for our single GC's.

Maybe you can bring a picture of her just to tide them over. Otherwise, I have the 15 folks needed. No worries. See ya wed!

See ya Wed. What did he say? Does Soup know something we don't know?? Oh, wait a minute. Wed.= Wednesday. Phew I was hoping to introduce my 23 yr old son to Laurencat. Also Laurencat I have photos of both my son and the two kittens I can tempt you with. icon_biggrin.gif

KTF !!! GBWY !!!

See ya Wed. What did he say? Does Soup know something we don't know?? Oh, wait a minute. Wed.= Wednesday. Phew I was hoping to introduce my 23 yr old son to Laurencat. Also Laurencat I have photos of both my son and the two kittens I can tempt you with. icon_biggrin.gif

KTF !!! GBWY !!!

Doug and I will be there by 6:30 to dine before the tour. Anyone want to join us for dinner? Or can we join some of you all? Just don't know yet what any of you look like. Oh wait, geeks...! (and I mean that as a compliment) ...hey, us too!icon_biggrin.gif Wait...didn't I read somewhere where that Bodoni looks like Ron Jeremy? That face I won't forget. icon_wink.gif

Doug and I will be there by 6:30 to dine before the tour. Anyone want to join us for dinner? Or can we join some of you all? Just don't know yet what any of you look like. Oh wait, geeks...! (and I mean that as a compliment) ...hey, us too!:) Wait...didn't I read somewhere where that Bodoni looks like Ron Jeremy? That face I won't forget. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by dasein:

Wait...didn't I read somewhere where that Bodoni looks like Ron Jeremy? That face I won't forget. icon_wink.gif

Ok now, everybody calm down. I'll be there right after work, but if you're looking for Ron, sorry to disappoint. I think it was the week's worth of stubble I had that day. I'll have to wear some geek badge or walk around looking lost so others will recognize me as a Geocacher (not a celluloid star). Unfortunately "She Who Knows The Truth" will not be there, so you'll have to take my word for it.

quote:
Originally posted by dasein:

Wait...didn't I read somewhere where that Bodoni looks like Ron Jeremy? That face I won't forget. icon_wink.gif

Ok now, everybody calm down. I'll be there right after work, but if you're looking for Ron, sorry to disappoint. I think it was the week's worth of stubble I had that day. I'll have to wear some geek badge or walk around looking lost so others will recognize me as a Geocacher (not a celluloid star). Unfortunately "She Who Knows The Truth" will not be there, so you'll have to take my word for it.

I'll try and get there around 6-6:30ish myself...

I'm bringing my Sony video camera that has Nightshot mode, so hopefully we can see the ghosts better with it icon_biggrin.gif

Also, I'll see if I can post some good parts of the video online...

Can't wait!

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45° 30.ish

W 122° 58.ish

I'll try and get there around 6-6:30ish myself...

I'm bringing my Sony video camera that has Nightshot mode, so hopefully we can see the ghosts better with it icon_biggrin.gif

Also, I'll see if I can post some good parts of the video online...

Can't wait!

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45° 30.ish

W 122° 58.ish

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

is that the one that can see through clothing?

Since I have the ability to see through anything (exceipt lead), seeing through clothing isnt what its cracked up to be (i.e. not everyone does laundry daily). icon_eek.gif

But it did make the Boo-tay G.C. easier to log as a find. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

-soup

"I put instant soup in a microwave and almost went back in time." -Stephen Wright

quote:

Since I have the ability to see through anything (exceipt lead), seeing through clothing isnt what its cracked up to be (i.e. not everyone does laundry daily). icon_eek.gif

But it did make the Boo-tay G.C. easier to log as a find. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

-soup

I have been limited to my internet access as I no longer have a computer at home (having one made this weekend)....Is it this Wednesday night (tomorrow) 7/24/02 ...and what is the street adress of hobos?

Well I gotta go, I am at work and they are anal retentive little b%$#@$es when it comes to people spending a ton of time on the internet.

Syn

(and how much is the cost again...sorry i just dont have time to go through the other threads...When I come on it has to be a get on and get off thing between people coming and bugging me for stuff or walking by my cubicle before I am seen on the internet..)

I will check for the responses in a little while.

quote:

It can see through wet bathing suits in bright sunlight... Or so I've heard icon_biggrin.gif

Actually.. I have not fully tested that 'feature', but I do know that it does work.

-fractal

quote:

It can see through wet bathing suits in bright sunlight... Or so I've heard icon_biggrin.gif

Actually.. I have not fully tested that 'feature', but I do know that it does work.

-fractal

Sorry, my wearing of shorts is not *that* entertaining!

1) If any of you have an Entertainment 2002 card, Hobo's is on it (card #40, page A32 in the book). You get a complimentary dinner entre up to $14.00 when one is purchased.

2) Anyone else besides us wearing shorts?

The Shanghai Tunnels webpage, and I quote:

"APPROPRIATE DRESS FOR A TOUR OF "PORTLAND UNDERGROUND":Pants! No dresses or skirts please. Also, no high heels, sandals, thongs, or open faced shoes. The best shoes are sneakers or closed-toe shoes."

We HATE pants! I only own 2 pair, and one of those is in case of stinging nettles, which I had my first experience with over the weekend. Yeah, I know we might get dirty or scraped or maybe even fall down, but I figure that's what the waiver is for.

Syn:

Tonight, 7/24

$11

120 NW 3rd Ave

Phone: (503) 224-3285

Cross Streets: Between NW Couch Street and NW Davis Street

Nearest MAX: Toss up between Old Town/Chinatown and Skidmore Fountain

dasein:

Shorts for me! But I'll leave my stilettos at home.

Originally posted by Bodoni:

Syn:

Tonight, 7/24

$11

120 NW 3rd Ave

Or if you prefer: 45'31.429

122'40.382 icon_razz.gif

Bob G.

Originally posted by Bodoni:

Syn:

Tonight, 7/24

$11

120 NW 3rd Ave

Or if you prefer: 45'31.429

122'40.382 icon_razz.gif

Bob G.

For those who know the area - is it a safe place to park my (unlockable) Jeep? I can make sure there's nothing in it to steal, but how vulnerable would the wheels/tires and/or the entire rig be?

I'm thinking I'll have to forego the nice breezy topless cruise and take the wifes car tonight icon_frown.gif

-

For those who know the area - is it a safe place to park my (unlockable) Jeep? I can make sure there's nothing in it to steal, but how vulnerable would the wheels/tires and/or the entire rig be?

I'm thinking I'll have to forego the nice breezy topless cruise and take the wifes car tonight icon_frown.gif

-

You did an excellent job of organizing tonights Ghost Fright. Hobo's was a very nice establishment (good food and nice atmosphere) and the Portland Underground tour was a blast! I think we overwhelmed them with the large turnout, but they handled our crowd well. I learned quite a bit about the tunnels tonight. And, I got to meet lots of new friendly people as well as some familiar faces.

Thanks for putting this together for us!

-

Thank you, Soup for organizing this evening's entertainment. We had a great time and enjoyed meeting many of you. Doug and I look forward to getting together again soon, hopefully in a much cooler place next time. Was it hot in there, or what! icon_eek.gif I demand a sweaty instant graemlin! Next time...

laurak and doug

Thank you, Soup for organizing this evening's entertainment. We had a great time and enjoyed meeting many of you. Doug and I look forward to getting together again soon, hopefully in a much cooler place next time. Was it hot in there, or what! icon_eek.gif I demand a sweaty instant graemlin! Next time...

laurak and doug

my favorite part was when he told us that my sister was haunted. my least favorite part was when i stepped in the sewage. my medium part was when i found the hole that looked up into the kitchen of the restaurant and couldn't see up any skirts.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

Thanks for the spooked out event, Soup! But what is it with us and sweat? First the bowling alley, now the hottest basement I've ever felt. Oh well, I needed to lose some weight, and, and, and . . . does anyone else see this DOOR OPENING?!?!?!?!

Nothing spooky came out on the video.. But, there is one section of audio right near the end of the tour where I can hear something weird... Not sure if it's just one of the people in the crowd talking..or maybe.. Nina!?!?

It is actually right before we left, right in the section where he said that Nina has been seen... I'll pull that audio section off the tape and put it on Moonrize next week...

-fractal

So, I start talking to that paranormal guy. He is telling me about ghosts, spirits, and orbs. Cool -n- stuff. Later he takes a pic of me as I am investigating that area with the boots... There was a frikken ORB on my black shirt.

So some ghost was hitching a ride on my back, or I left the dryer sheet on the shirt.

Anyway, I am glad y'all liked it. I was talking to the tourguide later, and wanted me and Kevin to operate a Watermelon launching catapult thing during the Huckleberry Festival. icon_eek.gif

I guess they can launch a watermelon 100's of feet. I ...think... I might be interested. icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe another "Goldmember" spike night.

I am totally glad everyone could show up. What a hoot! But it was frikken hot down there.

So, I start talking to that paranormal guy. He is telling me about ghosts, spirits, and orbs. Cool -n- stuff. Later he takes a pic of me as I am investigating that area with the boots... There was a frikken ORB on my black shirt.

So some ghost was hitching a ride on my back, or I left the dryer sheet on the shirt.

Anyway, I am glad y'all liked it. I was talking to the tourguide later, and wanted me and Kevin to operate a Watermelon launching catapult thing during the Huckleberry Festival. icon_eek.gif

I guess they can launch a watermelon 100's of feet. I ...think... I might be interested. icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe another "Goldmember" spike night.

I am totally glad everyone could show up. What a hoot! But it was frikken hot down there.

Thank you so much, Soup for organizing one of the coolest wednesday nights yet. I've prepared a little quiz so that none of us forget what we learned....

1. The shanghai tunnels are haunted by

a) ghosts

:) monkey ghosts

C) kittens

d) their dubious and illegal past

2. The wooden cigar smoking indian

a) is a ghost and no one noticed

:) floated all they way back to portland after that shanghaier sold him to some captain or whatever

c) is stuffed full of kittens

d) really, really wants out of that hot basement

3. That ghost, Nina, died by

a) attack by reuses monkeys let loose at OHSU

:D tungsten, he now strangles 1900's ladies of the night instead of kittens

c) elevator shaft

d) too much kitten love

extra credit: choose two correct answers

4. When we left the tour, we were sure to be haunted by

a) dormant hepatitis spores living in the tunnels for over 100 years

:D a pile of old shoes

c) a ghost that follows us around dropping watermellons on our heads

d)those crazy home depot women who worked in the tunnels for 16 hours straight and weren't afraid of ghosts

e) kittens

f) crazed helper monkeys

icon_wink.gif

Thank you so much, Soup for organizing one of the coolest wednesday nights yet. I've prepared a little quiz so that none of us forget what we learned....

1. The shanghai tunnels are haunted by

a) ghosts

:) monkey ghosts

C) kittens

d) their dubious and illegal past

2. The wooden cigar smoking indian

a) is a ghost and no one noticed

:) floated all they way back to portland after that shanghaier sold him to some captain or whatever

c) is stuffed full of kittens

d) really, really wants out of that hot basement

3. That ghost, Nina, died by

a) attack by reuses monkeys let loose at OHSU

:) tungsten, he now strangles 1900's ladies of the night instead of kittens

c) elevator shaft

d) too much kitten love

extra credit: choose two correct answers

4. When we left the tour, we were sure to be haunted by

a) dormant hepatitis spores living in the tunnels for over 100 years

:D a pile of old shoes

c) a ghost that follows us around dropping watermellons on our heads

d)those crazy home depot women who worked in the tunnels for 16 hours straight and weren't afraid of ghosts

e) kittens

f) crazed helper monkeys

icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by LaurenCat:

Thank you so much, Soup for organizing one of the coolest wednesday nights yet.

LaurenCat, I'm sure you meant one of the *hottest* Wednesday nights yet...(plug in your own interpretation of HOT here...)

I had a great time Wednesday. I am looking foreward to the next wed. I will be able to attend. I have to admit though, however much fun I had Wed. night, Take the negative side of it times 100. That perty much sums up my Thursday. After the tour got over, oregone, Laurencat, my siter, Bodoni, and myself walked downtown for a night cap. After several PBR's, and a couple more at oregones place, I left Portland @ 1:30am. From there I went staright to work. I got there @ 3:30am, than had a crew meeting at 4:30am. All day I prayed for death to take me. But the robe clad skeleton with a sickle was no where to be seen. Oh well. I must have a lousy memory, because I pull this stunt about twice a year.

Ok.. I've got some interesting audio from the tunnels up on my website. It's at the end of the tour when the tour guide Mike is giving his last little speach. There was no one else talking at that time. This is in the same area that the prostitute Nina died.

WAV format audio file

Listen carefully right at the start when Mike says "No other...", and after he says "...like this." There is some sort of whisper.

Interesting...

-fractal

quote:
Originally posted by fractal:

Listen carefully right at the start when Mike says "No other...", and after he says "...like this." There is some sort of whisper.

Interesting...

-fractal

I plugged it into my voice recognition software and played it backwards. The whisper is distinctly saying, "Paul is dead."

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed