Release Notes (Geocaching® app: Offline maps) - January 13, 2017

Read previous Release Notes

Release Notes (Geocaching® app) - January 13, 2017

Premium members can now use offline maps in the Geocaching® app! Offline maps let you navigate to geocaches without an internet connection.

When you download a geocache list, offline maps are automatically saved to your device. These maps show the location of the caches in your list. Here’s how it works:

2. Go to the My Lists section of the Geocaching® app.
  3. Tap the ellipsis (...) next to the list that you want to download.
  4. Select Download Offline Data.

Offline maps are saved in the Trails map type. When you’re geocaching without an internet connection, switch to Trails to see your offline maps!

Visit our Help Center for a lot more information about how to use offline maps.

As with all app releases, we’ve also fixed bugs and made other small improvements.

BenH from HQ’s product team is watching the thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

This is a big step that a lot of people have been waiting for. Good job! On to field notes...!

In previous release notes, a number of excellent suggestions were made for improving the rendering style of the new map (inconsistently called "Geocaching" on the website and "Trails" in the app). Has there been any consideration of these? Some of the suggestions would take the map from a barely-suitable map to a much more useful one, and would benefit both website and app users.

BenH from HQ’s product team is watching the thread to answer questions whenever possible.

BenH, this is not a new issue, but something I've seen with the past few releases. There appears to be an issue with the date and time logged through the app. In Pacific time zone, when I log a note, the time recorded in the GPX is 8 hours in the future.

Please see my post here for details:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=342638&view=findpost&p=5630662

Has there been any consideration of these? Some of the suggestions would take the map from a barely-suitable map to a much more useful one, and would benefit both website and app users.

We've absolutely been reading and considering feedback on recent changes to the website maps. I'm sure you know that some updates have already been made since the initial release. We'll continue to monitor feedback and consider additional updates. (And BTW, throwing "barely-suitable" in there seems unnecessarily inflammatory in an otherwise reasonable question.)

I'm sure you know that some updates have already been made since the initial release.

Do you mean to the map rendering itself, or the map page? I haven't noticed any changes to the map rendering style, so I'd be interested to hear if any changes have been made there. That's what I was referring to in my post. The webpage design is a totally separate matter that has been sufficiently discussed elsewhere and I don't intend to bring that up here, since that's unrelated to the usage of the map rendering in the app.

(And BTW, throwing "barely-suitable" in there seems unnecessarily inflammatory in an otherwise reasonable question.)

Sorry, I didn't intend it to be inflammatory. I only said what I did because I felt that it had been sufficiently explained in previous discussions how the current rendering style can be difficult to use in many scenarios due to missing/hard-to-see features (e.g. no one-way arrows, yellow trails are hard to see in many places, missing "landmark" features that can help orient, etc.). I meant no ill-will by what I said and I apologize. I truly would like to provide whatever feedback can be useful to help improve the map style.

It's nice to see OSM-based maps being a premium-level feature. smile.gif (In the sense of, getting the respect they deserve.)

Move aside Google! tongue.gif

(On the subject of map styling, access=no would still be useful.)

EDIT: Oops, I'm replying about a blog post that's 4 months old, sorry! So this is nothing new; I'm just slow in noticing it.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Great news- I stayed with the Classic App as I needed to save track maps for offline use as the mobile signal is very poor here. At last I can now start using the new app. What would be a useful addition when caching a multi, would be the ability to put coordinates into the compass? It would save having to open a compass app, some of which are not very good.

Slow progress. Offline maps is a feature I'd rarely use, but the lack of corrected coordinates is a show stopper. When are we likely to see personal notes make an appearance? There's also maintenance requests to tackle (and less importantly, archive requests). I'd also like to see a quicker response to posting logs. I've had to wait sometimes as much as 30 minutes before a log appears on the web site -frustrating if you need to edit it.

When are we likely to see any of this?

I have a couple of lists to track challenges that have requirements before finding the final cache, like find a certain number of caches then find the final cache. Not being able to remember which list has which requirement, I put the cache ID and the requirements in the description. I don't see the description field on the app. When will this field be included?

What would be a useful addition when caching a multi, would be the ability to put coordinates into the compass?

While navigating to a cache, you can add custom waypoints. Add a new waypoint, and the compass immediately points to it, and coordinates are displayed. At least that's what happens on iPhone. I tried to check it on my Droid just now, and cache info is not loading, so I can't verify the exact same thing happens on Android. But I know you can add waypoints and navigate to them on the Official App on both types of phones.

What would be a useful addition when caching a multi, would be the ability to put coordinates into the compass?

While navigating to a cache, you can add custom waypoints. Add a new waypoint, and the compass immediately points to it, and coordinates are displayed. At least that's what happens on iPhone. I tried to check it on my Droid just now, and cache info is not loading, so I can't verify the exact same thing happens on Android. But I know you can add waypoints and navigate to them on the Official App on both types of phones.

Thanks for pointing this out- I just tried it and it works on my iPhone

If any Lackeys are still monitoring this discussion, I'm still interested in hearing what changes have already been made to the map style, as indicated by Ben above. I've browsed around my area and can't see any changes, but it's possible some features have been added/changed that just don't exist in my area.

When are we likely to see personal notes make an appearance? There's also maintenance requests to tackle (and less importantly, archive requests).

I concur with gasbottle's comment on personal notes as well as maintenance and archive requests, but I'd also like to see an ability to build field notes. When I'm out for a day of caching, I use the classic iPhone app to build my field notes and then upload them at the end of the day. When I get online I'll write my logs, add photos and trackable logs while sitting down with in a comfy chair with an adult beverage. I appreciate the updates to the free apps, but they are still lacking what I use consistently in the classic app.

I added a number of final waypoints in the Classic Geocaching app since "notes" were not available in the field. For these, I don't have any back up for the finals or intermediate waypoints. Any chance we can transfer these waypoints over to the new app?

Also I tried to use the trail maps today. I was unable to see the pale yellow trails against the grey background. Hope to see more contrast as well as other landmarks to better orient myself off streets.

Last time I tried to use it I couldn't remember how to bring up the larger map for navigation. I just got the tiny map at the top and the compass line under it. Fiddled with the app and found the compass. Tried again and found I'd backed out of that cache to the main map. Tried again and still only got the tiny map.

All this and the distance to go numbers are still minuscule which may be okay on foot, but not if you're driving to a P&G. I find myself having to hunt to find the remaining distance which isn't particularly safe while driving.

I ended up giving up and going back to the popular Android third party app that shall not be named.

For the record, when the classic app was just the app I was a very loyal user.

It's been a busy week! Thanks for your patience and feedback, all. I'll try to answer some of the questions that have come up.

I'm sure you know that some updates have already been made since the initial release.

Do you mean to the map rendering itself, or the map page? I haven't noticed any changes to the map rendering style, so I'd be interested to hear if any changes have been made there. That's what I was referring to in my post. The webpage design is a totally separate matter that has been sufficiently discussed elsewhere and I don't intend to bring that up here, since that's unrelated to the usage of the map rendering in the app.

(And BTW, throwing "barely-suitable" in there seems unnecessarily inflammatory in an otherwise reasonable question.)

Sorry, I didn't intend it to be inflammatory. I only said what I did because I felt that it had been sufficiently explained in previous discussions how the current rendering style can be difficult to use in many scenarios due to missing/hard-to-see features (e.g. no one-way arrows, yellow trails are hard to see in many places, missing "landmark" features that can help orient, etc.). I meant no ill-will by what I said and I apologize. I truly would like to provide whatever feedback can be useful to help improve the map style.

It seems I misread your initial question. I had incorrectly assumed you were referring to feedback about changes to map webpage rather than the new map style. My apologies.

You are correct that we have not yet updated the new Geocaching/Trails map style in light of user feedback, but we are working on that as well. Progress has been slower than anticipated on that front because we are waiting for updates from the map tile server provider. I hope that we will have some updates in the next couple months and a more regular update cadence after that.

And thanks for backing off from the language your original post. My main interest is in maintaining a civil tone so that we can have a constructive discussion.

Slow progress. Offline maps is a feature I'd rarely use, but the lack of corrected coordinates is a show stopper. When are we likely to see personal notes make an appearance? There's also maintenance requests to tackle (and less importantly, archive requests). I'd also like to see a quicker response to posting logs. I've had to wait sometimes as much as 30 minutes before a log appears on the web site -frustrating if you need to edit it.

Maintenance and archive logs are likely to be included in our next release. Personal notes are on our radar.

I have a couple questions on your other requests. The app does allow you to access/navigate to corrected coordinates added on the web, as well as inputing corrected coordinates in the app. When you say "lack of corrected coordinates" is there another feature you're thinking of? As to the delay you mentioned in seeing logs that you posted, can you help us out by providing the exact steps you go through when you see that result? If that is indeed happening, it must be a bug since there is definitely no delay expected in posting the logs. Is it possible that you've had a weak data signal in some of those instances?

When are we likely to see personal notes make an appearance? There's also maintenance requests to tackle (and less importantly, archive requests).

I concur with gasbottle's comment on personal notes as well as maintenance and archive requests, but I'd also like to see an ability to build field notes. When I'm out for a day of caching, I use the classic iPhone app to build my field notes and then upload them at the end of the day. When I get online I'll write my logs, add photos and trackable logs while sitting down with in a comfy chair with an adult beverage. I appreciate the updates to the free apps, but they are still lacking what I use consistently in the classic app.

Field note type functionality should be available in the next couple months.

I added a number of final waypoints in the Classic Geocaching app since "notes" were not available in the field. For these, I don't have any back up for the finals or intermediate waypoints. Any chance we can transfer these waypoints over to the new app?

Also I tried to use the trail maps today. I was unable to see the pale yellow trails against the grey background. Hope to see more contrast as well as other landmarks to better orient myself off streets.

Unfortunately, since waypoints in the classic app are saved locally on the device - as opposed to saved on your account through the API - there is no easy way for us to migrate that data to the new app. That is a limitation of how we built that app years ago. :( Although I'm sure it's the last answer you want to hear, your best bet will be to recreate your important waypoints in the new app where they will be saved to your account.

As I mentioned above, we are working on updates to the Trails map style.

Last time I tried to use it I couldn't remember how to bring up the larger map for navigation. I just got the tiny map at the top and the compass line under it. Fiddled with the app and found the compass. Tried again and found I'd backed out of that cache to the main map. Tried again and still only got the tiny map.

All this and the distance to go numbers are still minuscule which may be okay on foot, but not if you're driving to a P&G. I find myself having to hunt to find the remaining distance which isn't particularly safe while driving.

I ended up giving up and going back to the popular Android third party app that shall not be named.

Any time you are navigating to a cache or waypoint in the app, you should see a compass symbol near the top right of the screen that you can tap to see a full screen compass and large font distance. Hope that helps!

The app does allow you to access/navigate to corrected coordinates added on the web, as well as inputing corrected coordinates in the app. When you say "lack of corrected coordinates" is there another feature you're thinking of?
I can't speak for gasbottle, but personally I find it frustrating that the app's map shows puzzle caches at their original coordinates. The only time you see the corrected coordinates is when you're actually navigating to the puzzle cache. When you're ready to find another puzzle cache, and you're looking for the nearest solved puzzle final, the app is useless.

Maybe this isn't a new thing but I don't usually use the phone app (Android Galaxy S7 Active). This weekend thought (1/21/17) , I was using it and logged a DNF. I got all the way through, and it gave me a confirmation screen that my log was posted. Today though, I am at the computer looking at my logs and my DNF doesn't show. Someone else said the same thing about posting a DNF. I used the app last weekend (1/14/17) too and logged a DNF that DID show. Did something break during the week?

The app does allow you to access/navigate to corrected coordinates added on the web, as well as inputing corrected coordinates in the app. When you say "lack of corrected coordinates" is there another feature you're thinking of?
I can't speak for gasbottle, but personally I find it frustrating that the app's map shows puzzle caches at their original coordinates. The only time you see the corrected coordinates is when you're actually navigating to the puzzle cache. When you're ready to find another puzzle cache, and you're looking for the nearest solved puzzle final, the app is useless.

I suspected that might be what gasbottle was referring to, but wanted to confirm. Your opinion/description is also helpful. Enhancing support for corrected coordinates is something we're continuing to investigate.

Maybe this isn't a new thing but I don't usually use the phone app (Android Galaxy S7 Active). This weekend thought (1/21/17) , I was using it and logged a DNF. I got all the way through, and it gave me a confirmation screen that my log was posted. Today though, I am at the computer looking at my logs and my DNF doesn't show. Someone else said the same thing about posting a DNF. I used the app last weekend (1/14/17) too and logged a DNF that DID show. Did something break during the week?

There were no outages over the weekend that should have affected submission of logs. Is it possible that you had no data connection or a weak data connection when you tried to submit your log? If so, the app keeps your logs in a pending queue and attempts to submit them again once your are connected. You can check whether you have any logs awaiting submission by looking in the "More" menu to see whether "Pending" is shown with a number indicating the number of logs not yet submitted due to lack of connectivity.

There were no outages over the weekend that should have affected submission of logs. Is it possible that you had no data connection or a weak data connection when you tried to submit your log? If so, the app keeps your logs in a pending queue and attempts to submit them again once your are connected. You can check whether you have any logs awaiting submission by looking in the "More" menu to see whether "Pending" is shown with a number indicating the number of logs not yet submitted due to lack of connectivity.

Nothing pending. I had logged 9 finds before the DNF and another 5 finds after. Never lost data connection. Just tried to post a DNF again on the same cache, this time connected to wifi and again, the log does not show up. My caching partner had the same situation. No trouble logging finds, but the DNF does not show up when logging from the app

You are correct that we have not yet updated the new Geocaching/Trails map style in light of user feedback, but we are working on that as well. Progress has been slower than anticipated on that front because we are waiting for updates from the map tile server provider. I hope that we will have some updates in the next couple months and a more regular update cadence after that.

Thanks for the update. Working with third-party providers can often be a pain, so I understand how things could get delayed, especially when things are still relatively new. I look forward to the tweaks and regular updating.

Just tried to post a DNF again on the same cache, this time connected to wifi and again, the log does not show up. My caching partner had the same situation. No trouble logging finds, but the DNF does not show up when logging from the app

I can't replicate this. I just tried logging a DNF on one of my caches using the app while connected to wifi, and it was immediately recorded. I got a notification email of the log (because I'm the CO), and the log correctly showed up on the website. Maybe there's something wrong with the specific cache you're trying to log?

It's been a busy week! Thanks for your patience and feedback, all. I'll try to answer some of the questions that have come up.

Maintenance and archive logs are likely to be included in our next release. Personal notes are on our radar.

I have a couple questions on your other requests. The app does allow you to access/navigate to corrected coordinates added on the web, as well as inputing corrected coordinates in the app. When you say "lack of corrected coordinates" is there another feature you're thinking of? As to the delay you mentioned in seeing logs that you posted, can you help us out by providing the exact steps you go through when you see that result? If that is indeed happening, it must be a bug since there is definitely no delay expected in posting the logs. Is it possible that you've had a weak data signal in some of those instances?

Corrected coordinates: I checked with the current version of the Android app on a mystery cache I have entered corrected coordinates for. The web site displays the cache in the corrected location, but the app displays it in the posted location. At one stage in the past the corrected coordinates sometimes appeared in the waypoint list but this was always a lottery and often they didn't. No corrected waypoint appeared today. Attempting to navigate to the cache gave me the option to view the puzzle, enter solved coordinates or go to the posted coordinates. I tried this with caches I have found, and others I have solved but not found. At no point does the app give me any corrected coordinates taken from the web. I haven't checked solved multi-caches.

Posted logs: I haven't used the app for a long time because of this and other issues so this relates to an early experience and might have been overtaken by events. The app seems to post logs as a background process - there's no way to tell what it's up to or how far it has got. I noticed early on that logs seemed to be slow in appearing, but the real frustration came with trying to log trackables in the field. On one particular cache I'd logged a find through the app, then gone to the web listing to log a trackable I'd dropped but even after about 10 minutes there was no sign of the log. The frustration was compounded by another cacher who turned up while I was still at GZ and grabbed the TB. I couldn't log the TB in, so he couldn't log it out. Somewhere between 30 and 60 minutes later the log appeared and I could log the TB in on that log. I suppose I could have logged the TB in on a separate log, but that all seems very messy. Could I have had a poor connection? Maybe, but this was a city centre cache so it's unlikely. It would have been helpful at the time to have some list of background activities and the ability to edit a log before it was posted.

Trackables: Not in my original post, but while preparing my notes for this I looked at my trackable inventory as presented by the App. Apparently I have about 8 trackables but I don't - they've all been logged as dropped into caches. The web site correctly lists no trackables. Issues with TBs going missing and difficulties logging them mean I rarely bother even attempting to log a discovery.

These issues with the new App have me using either the classic paid app or downloading GPX files to my GPSr, which leads me onto an unrelated question: when, if ever, will GPX 1.0.2 be implemented?

Regarding your trackable issue, I think you might be seeing the same thing as in this thread that I just bumped.

These issues with the new App have me using either the classic paid app or downloading GPX files to my GPSr, which leads me onto an unrelated question: when, if ever, will GPX 1.0.2 be implemented?

Not really relevant to this thread, but it sounds like GPX 1.0.2 will not be implemented ever. See this thread, particularly post #2.

I might use the APP if I could move it to external memory on my Samsung S5 android phone. I only have 16g of internal memory. No way will I start saving offline maps there.

Note: I found it effortless to save the offline maps. The feature is really easy.

Edited by Khoda

I might use the APP if I could move it to external memory on my Samsung S5 android phone. I only have 16g of internal memory. No way will I start saving offline maps there.

Note: I found it effortless to save the offline maps. The feature is really easy.

Ditto. I am more fussy. I am also waiting for kilometers.

I am also waiting for kilometers.

I'm pretty sure the units are set based on the regional settings of your phone. Have you checked that you have that set correctly? My iPhone is set to "Canada" and all distances are displayed in metric in the app. I assume there's a similar setting on Android devices.

I am also waiting for kilometers.

I'm pretty sure the units are set based on the regional settings of your phone. Have you checked that you have that set correctly? My iPhone is set to "Canada" and all distances are displayed in metric in the app. I assume there's a similar setting on Android devices.

I don't see anything like that. (Have I told you lately how much I love my phone?). This is the only app that has this issue.

I appreciate the fact that someone made the effort to anticipate my needs, but I appreciate the freedom to be different.

Is this thing supposed to switch whenever I cross the border? Another reason why I want to have it under my control.

As a reminder, from the opening post to this Release Notes thread:

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

The subject of this release is offline maps for use with saved lists of caches.

I simply cannot believe that Groundspeak would add a nag screen and set a date for killing the classic app when this release has still not restored functionality that users have been clamoring for since the initial release of the new app. Until field notes and the ability to filter out a friend's finds are added (functionality that classic app users have now and paid for) the new app is basically useless to me.

Edited by DinaWorks

It seems I misread your initial question. I had incorrectly assumed you were referring to feedback about changes to map webpage rather than the new map style. My apologies.

And thanks for backing off from the language your original post. My main interest is in maintaining a civil tone so that we can have a constructive discussion.

Field note type functionality should be available in the next couple months.

Unfortunately, since waypoints in the classic app are saved locally on the device - as opposed to saved on your account through the API - there is no easy way for us to migrate that data to the new app. That is a limitation of how we built that app years ago. :( Although I'm sure it's the last answer you want to hear, your best bet will be to recreate your important waypoints in the new app where they will be saved to your account.

As I mentioned above, we are working on updates to the Trails map style.

Any time you are navigating to a cache or waypoint in the app, you should see a compass symbol near the top right of the screen that you can tap to see a full screen compass and large font distance. Hope that helps!

Not really. When I'm navigating to a cache by car I want to use the map, not the compass. I have perfect vision so I'm not after a major font change (& don't want to increase my phone's font size as that'd make the rest too big).

(If it works) I'll add a pic I have of two screen shots of the Classic app and the new one comparing the two sizes.

IMG_20170207_190830.jpg