Large Domestic Appliances, etc.

I have thought about this idea for over a year. <_<

The general concept for this proposal is to find and waymark antique/vintage large domestic appliances which will include the following;

Apple or Grape presses*

Sugar Cane or Sorghum Presses and Crushers

Cheese Presses

Honey Extractors

Barrel Type Butter Churns

Plunger Type Butter Churns

Wood Burning Cook Stoves

Wooden Ice Boxes

Gasoline Washing Machines

Flour Bin Tables

Mangles/Ironing Machines

Cream Separators

* Apple or Grape presses are presently accepted in the Old Agricultural Equipment category, if this category passes peer review they will be grandfathered. At that time we will no longer accept them in the OAE category.

The category will ONLY accept antique/vintage large domestic appliances. They can be outside on public display or in a FREE museum.

If there are several items of the same type they are to be waymarked as a unit, not individually. If there are more than one type, as an example; a wooden ice box and a cream separator both can be waymarked individually.

Another consideration are pre 1940s gas/electric stoves and wringer washing machines.

We are NOT looking for small kitchen appliances such as, mixers, beaters, pots and pans, peelers, etc.

We welcome your suggestions for additional possibilities, and/or other comments.

We also need a workable title.

More completely defined posting requirements will be provided at a later time.

Thanks you for your consideration. BK-Hunters

Edited by BK-Hunters

I was going to suggest the Preserved Machines on Public Display category for these appliances but then read the category description and a sentence reads: "This category is not for agricultural, household or military equipment (there are existing categories for these types of equipment)." So where does a household preserved machine category exist in the category list? I couldn't find one and I'm pretty sure one doesn't exist. Which brings me back to your category proposal. I am one of the officers in the Preserved Machines on Public Display category and I honestly think your vintage Domestic Appliances category proposal COULD be an addition to that category because it fits in perfectly with the category vision and mission. If the other officers feel the same way, we could easily add an addendum to the category description to include vintage household/domestic appliances. I'd even be willing to promote you as an officer in the category and let you add that info to the category yourself, since you've gone to much trouble researching these appliances in the past year.

Thoughts?

I am one of the officers in the Preserved Machines on Public Display category and I honestly think your vintage Domestic Appliances category proposal COULD be an addition to that category because it fits in perfectly with the category vision and mission. If the other officers feel the same way, we could easily add an addendum to the category description to include vintage household/domestic appliances.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately, we cannot agree. We see the "Preserved Machines on Public Display" more as Industrial versus Domestic. Admittedly there's a lot of cross over between the two categories, but neither of us view the two as sufficiently alike to be amalgamated into a single category.

I've done over 100 WMs in the PMoPD category and look at them as being, for the most part, industrial artefacts, something which the appliances in the list given are not. The dichotomy I see (or envision) is domestic versus industrial, domestic being home and farm, even small business. The majority of the Preserved Machines on Public Display I've waymarked were used by BIG Business to accomplish BIG tasks.

So far we're having trouble creating a possible name which isn't a dozen words long.

Edited by BK-Hunters

I have thought about this idea for over a year. <_<

The general concept for this proposal is to find and waymark antique/vintage large domestic appliances which will include the following;

Apple or Grape presses*

Cheese Presses

Honey Extractors

Barrel Type Butter Churns

Plunger Type Butter Churns

Wood Burning Cook Stoves

Wooden Ice Boxes

Gasoline Washing Machines

Flour Bin Tables

Mangles/Ironing Machines

Cream Separators

Why did gasoline need to be washed back then? Was it to make it burn cleaner? LOL

But seriously - this could be a cool category .... I want to see some details though.

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

Why did gasoline need to be washed back then? Was it to make it burn cleaner? LOL.

'Tis true, gas was quite a bit dirtier waaaaay back when. From what I understand, most people washed it to make it smell like spring flowers. For them it's coming out cleaner was just an ancillary benefit.

Details?!?! We don't need no stinkin' details!! :rolleyes:

B is workin' on it, nonetheless.

I am one of the officers in the Preserved Machines on Public Display category and I honestly think your vintage Domestic Appliances category proposal COULD be an addition to that category because it fits in perfectly with the category vision and mission. If the other officers feel the same way, we could easily add an addendum to the category description to include vintage household/domestic appliances.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately, we cannot agree. We see the "Preserved Machines on Public Display" more as Industrial versus Domestic. Admittedly there's a lot of cross over between the two categories, but neither of us view the two as sufficiently alike to be amalgamated into a single category.

I've done over 100 WMs in the PMoPD category and look at them as being, for the most part, industrial artefacts, something which the appliances in the list given are not. The dichotomy I see (or envision) is domestic versus industrial, domestic being home and farm, even small business. The majority of the Preserved Machines on Public Display I've waymarked were used by BIG Business to accomplish BIG tasks.

So far we're having trouble creating a possible name which isn't a dozen words long.

Yes, the focus of the "Preserved Machines on Public Display" is on industrial machines. And the reference to a household appliance category is a mistake that happened while streamlining the category description, I had not noticed it before. So while there are categories for the other mentioned types like vehicles, the exclusion of household appliances originally had a different reason: prevalence. For every large machine I find, I come along at least fifty vintage tumble dryers that are now on display in private front yards and hold flowers. There are about four just in the street where I live, and it is not a long street.

I think vintage household/domestic tools/appliances can be a great category. They could be included to the machines category, that's true, but I would not want to risk that they totally outnumber the objects the category was initially created for.

So go for it!

Domestic Appliances/Presses (Title is still a work in progress)

Description:

The mission of Domestic Appliances/Presses is to locate items that are publicly displayed outside or in a FREE museum. All items submitted MUST be manufactured before the 1940s, the older the better.

Expanded Description:

The Domestic Appliances/Presses category will only accept items that are manufactured before the 1940s the older the better. The item must be visible from a public location or in a free museum that is open to the public. No private collections in a private residence that are not open to the public and free of admission.

Some examples of Domestic Appliances/Presses are:

Apple or Grape Presses

Butter Churns (Barrel or Plunger types only)

Cheese Presses

Cook Stoves (wood burning)

Cream Separators

Flour Bin Tables

Honey Extractors

Leather Sewing Machine (with seat/foot powered)

Mangles/Ironing Machines

Sharpening Stone (Freestanding with seat/foot powered)

Washing Machines (gas or other fuel driven)

Washing Machines (Wooden only, electric circa early 1900s)

Wooden Ice Boxes

Excluded: All small appliances such as; mixers, egg beaters, spoons or other small utensils, pot and pans, peelers, butter molds, and all other appliances/utensils that are considered handheld or countertop.

Any newer item manufactured after 1940 or an item produced to look vintage will NOT be accepted in this category.

Instructions for Posting a Domestic Appliances/Presses Waymark:

If there are several items of the same type they are to be waymarked as a unit, not individually. If there are more than one type, as an example; a wooden ice box and a cream separator both can be waymarked individually.

Include at least two (2) photographs taken by the waymarker. NO Google street views, NO pictures taken from the internet or drive by pictures.

Required: A close up of the entire item to be submitted. This is to be the default photograph.

Required: An overview of its location including the item.

Encouraged additional photographs are: sign with information about the item, identification tags which could include: patent date, manufacturer, serial number, make and model. If in a museum, a picture of the building including name.

If there is a sign explaining the item a transcription in the long description is required and noted.

The waymarker must personally obtain GPS coordinates.

Include at least three (3) sentences describing the location, history or any unique features of the item in your own words (a personal account of your visit). Additional information: If in a museum include their business hours. If the museum offers special events and/or guided tours, please include this information. Any additional information is always encouraged.

You must cite your source complete with link included in the long description.

An English translation is required.

Naming requirement: NO tilde (~) or double hyphens (--) are allowed in the title.

Abbreviations are acceptable for state or province.

Use a single hyphen (-) in the title.

Example: Albaugh-Dover Cream Separator - Town, State/ Province

If you do not know the manufacturer:

Example: Cream Separator - Town, State/ Province

Do not use adjectives in the title such as; old, vintage, antique, dated, etc.

Waymarks will be reviewed by one of the officers and will be declined if ALL requirements are not met.

Variables:

Website about the item.

Address

Instructions for Visiting a Waymark in this Category:

Enjoy your visit, tell your story and post a picture.

This proposal is a work in progress and welcome additional possibilities and comments.

Pictures and possible source links will be added before peer review.

Drats, no matter how many times I read and reread a post, I almost always have to edit. Okay two edits. :lol:

Edited by BK-Hunters

After considerable consideration, we have decided that any wash machine or similar item that are used as planters will NOT be accepted in this category. It appears these are fairly common.

However an item that is on display, as an example, a cook stove in a restaurant will be accepted only if it is considered decorative and not in use. Items must meet all category requirements.

We would like to address the decision about NOT allowing items that are used as planters.

1. As indicted in a previous post, prevalence was mentioned. We do not want the category to be predominately planters.

2. By allowing planters the category could lose its original intent and the integrity of the category may be compromised.

3. Planters in general have something growing in them, the plant growth could cover the majority of the item not showcasing the item but the flowers, etc. Generally speaking, most we have seen have been altered to accommodate the plants. Lids and wringers are removed from washers as an example. Another concern is the overall condition of the item, as over time they tend to deteriorate, rust and fall apart.

We are going to add a few details to the description after peer review:

All items must be on permanent display.

We will not accept any item located in an antique or thrift store or any item that is for sale.

We are adding Sewing Machines (Treadle only).

To clarify: "Website for additional information". Use this option if there are more than one source that is not previously used in the long description.

All variables are optional, we encourage you to use them.

I have a question. How does this new category differ from the Preserved Machines category? :unsure:

Waymarking to me, is about sharing interesting locations around the World, such as a Museum. Now, the idea is to share photos of antiques inside museums?

I'm not sure why I'm not getting it, or the idea appears redundant to me.

Thanks in advance for explaining.

Post #10 - fi67 responded to your question: "Yes, the focus of the "Preserved Machines on Public Display" is on industrial machines. And the reference to a household appliance category is a mistake that happened while streamlining the category description, I had not noticed it before. So while there are categories for the other mentioned types like vehicles, the exclusion of household appliances originally had a different reason: prevalence. For every large machine I find, I come along at least fifty vintage tumble dryers that are now on display in private front yards and hold flowers. There are about four just in the street where I live, and it is not a long street.

I think vintage household/domestic tools/appliances can be a great category. They could be included to the machines category, that's true, but I would not want to risk that they totally outnumber the objects the category was initially created for.

So go for it!"

"Waymarking to me, is about sharing interesting locations around the World, such as a Museum. Now, the idea is to share photos of antiques inside museums?"

We do not see this category differs from any of these objects located in museums:

Carriages and Coaches on Permanent Display

Covered Wagons

Fire Fighting Vehicles

Old Tractors

Permanent Car Displays

Railway Vehicles

Locomotives

Railroad Maintenance-Of-Way Equipment

Static Train Cars

Train Cabooses

Static Aircraft Displays

All of these can be found in museums, though the requirements may differ.

In addition there are many categories for specific objects that are also found in museums such as, just to name a few:

Musical Instruments

LEGO Sculptures and Models

Coca Cola Memorabilia

Anchors

Barber Poles

Bells

Millstones

Punishment and Disciplinary Devices

Ship Screws and Aircraft Props

Sundials

Time Signals

Trophies, Medals and Cups

Wagon Wheels

Coin-Operated Fortune Telling Machines

Foucault Pendulums

Hand Operated Water Pumps

Mold-a-Rama Machines

Old Agricultural Equipment

Penny Smashers

Taffy Pulling Machines

Vintage Gasoline Pumps

I think you get my point.

Edited by BK-Hunters

Domestic Appliances and Presses in now in peer review.

Please support this new category. Have a question, post them here.

My vote in peer review - NAY

My Comments:

Still too many questions for me to say yes.

What about stuff in antique stores - can those be waymarked? What if they are sold?

How does one prove manufacture date for an item that was mass produced for several decades? 1939? 1940? 1941?

I see this as a reviewers nightmare - way too many submissions and too many waymarks are going to be declined.

Just my opinion.

jhuoni, There seems to be some misinterpretation of permanence first referenced in peer review. We did overlook including "All items must be on permanent display" in the proposal now in peer review. It seems some are of the understanding that this was to imply that items are moving around from location to location. This is not the case. I suggest you read post #20.

We addressed these concerns in the post that follows:

Post #18 by BK-Hunters - Posted Today, 03:45 AM

"We are going to add a few details to the description after peer review:

All items must be on permanent display.

We will not accept any item located in an antique or thrift store or any item that is for sale.

We are adding Sewing Machines (Treadle only).

To clarify: "Website for additional information". Use this option if there are more than one source that is not previously used in the long description.

All variables are optional, we encourage you to use them."

Edited by BK-Hunters

Not permanent seems to be an issue. As far as not permanent in museums that can be said for ALL categories that accept items in museums. These too can be swapped out.

How is this proposal any different then countless other categories that already exist?

The only difference I see is the size of the objects. It looks like smaller objects are supposed to be less permanent than large objects, and yes, this is maybe true. But anything can be moved if you have enough power, and nothing is permanent when you apply a large enough time span. My definition of permanence is that it was put there without any plans to remove it in the foreseeable future. That is good enough for me, but I don't know how you could convince the ones who have an issue with it.

Another presumed issue some people seem to have, is redundancy with the Preserved Machines on Public Display. I am the founder and leader of this category. Domestic Appliances are excluded from the Machines category, they have been excluded from the beginning. So this is no issue, there is no redundancy at all.

How is this proposal any different then countless other categories that already exist?

It isn't. Why is it even needed? A category for domestic appliances in museums?

I'm sure it all makes sense to a devoted Waymarker,... but leaves MOST of us scratching our heads asking WHY? :unsure:

As for passing peer review, I don't see a problem.

Edited by Manville Possum

I'm sure it all makes sense to a devoted Waymarker,... but leaves MOST of us scratching our heads asking WHY? :unsure:

"A category for domestic appliances in museums?" It is ONLY FREE MUSEUMS, that eliminates most of them. As well as other locations that are not in a museum.

"A category for domestic appliances in museums?" Why not domestic appliances and presses?

As pointed out before there are countless categories for smaller items that are in museums and other locations inside or outside.

I am wondering why these issues, as expressed in the vote, were not discussed here before peer review? This has happen to us on several proposals; lots of views with very few comments. How does someone who creates a proposal know what someone maybe thinking, if it is not expressed on the forum?

"A category for domestic appliances in museums?" It is ONLY FREE MUSEUMS, that eliminates most of them. As well as other locations that are not in a museum.

"A category for domestic appliances in museums?" Why not domestic appliances and presses?

As pointed out before there are countless categories for smaller items that are in museums and other locations inside or outside.

I am wondering why these issues, as expressed in the vote, were not discussed here before peer review? This has happen to us on several proposals; lots of views with very few comments. How does someone who creates a proposal know what someone maybe thinking, if it is not expressed on the forum?

You have limited this category too thin in my opinion, it may be limited to your photo collection only, and stuff in people's yards. :laughing:

"How does someone who creates a proposal know what someone maybe thinking, if it is not expressed on the forum?"

Well, you run it through peer review. Most don't use these forums, but you can get good advice in peer review.

If it passes on first go, consider what was expressed and modify, or just ignore peer suggestions. It's your idea, it has you name on it. B)

It just occurred to me: There is a category for:

Relocated Structures

Description:

Find a structure that has been moved from one site to another. It can be a building, bridge, arch, or other man-made structure that has been relocated in its lifetime.

There are currently 957 approved waymarks.

The point is nothing is permanent, all buildings, bridges arches or other man-made structures approved in this category were moved.

Even statues, sculptures, historical markers, war cairns, cars, planes, space crafts, and countless other examples can be moved. We waymarked a church that burned down about 6 months after we waymarked it. How permanent did that turn out to be. Buildings burn everyday, objects are destroyed or vandalized. Murals are painted over, objects are relocated or put in storage. There is just no guarantees that an item will stay where you waymarked it forever.

As far as any item waymarked in a museum, it can also be said they can be moved or removed.

Edited by BK-Hunters

It just occurred to me: There is a category for:

Relocated Structures

Description:

Find a structure that has been moved from one site to another. It can be a building, bridge, arch, or other man-made structure that has been relocated in its lifetime.

There are currently 957 approved waymarks.

The point is nothing is permanent, all buildings, bridges arches or other man-made structures approved in this category were moved.

Even statues, sculptures, historical markers, war cairns, cars, planes, space crafts, and countless other examples can be moved. We waymarked a church that burned down about 6 months after we waymarked it. How permanent did that turn out to be. Buildings burn everyday, objects are destroyed or vandalized. Murals are painted over, objects are relocated or put in storage. There is just no guarantees that an item will stay where you waymarked it forever.

As far as any item waymarked in a museum, it can also be said they can be moved or removed.

All of this is very true, and Waymarking is becoming more stale data of things that are no longer there. I have left comments on several missing WM's, and even posted coordinates to the new location. This really effected the way I view this site.

I have posted a few relocated buildings and one CSA statue, but I just don't have the same interest here anymore.

No, I don't get the point of Waymarking things in museums that can already be Waymarked in that category.

Waymarked in that category.

What is "that" category? If you are trying to refer to the Domestic Alliances and Presses.

fi67 leader of the Preserved Machines on Public Display has answered that question in the newest post #26 posted Yesterday, 08:04 AM:

"The only difference I see is the size of the objects. It looks like smaller objects are supposed to be less permanent than large objects, and yes, this is maybe true. But anything can be moved if you have enough power, and nothing is permanent when you apply a large enough time span. My definition of permanence is that it was put there without any plans to remove it in the foreseeable future. That is good enough for me, but I don't know how you could convince the ones who have an issue with it.

Another presumed issue some people seem to have, is redundancy with the Preserved Machines on Public Display. I am the founder and leader of this category. Domestic Appliances are excluded from the Machines category, they have been excluded from the beginning. So this is no issue, there is no redundancy at all."

I am aware that you "don't get it", but keep kicking that same dead dog seems a waste of time and effort on your part. :huh:

Edited by BK-Hunters

I am aware that you "don't get it", but keep kicking that same dead dog seems a waste of time and effort on your part. :huh:

Yeah, but you get my point don't you? :laughing: The peer review tells me that even the yea votes have negative comments, and it will likely pass.

I do believe that you have so limited the category that only your photo collection will fit the category.

Waymarking is looking more like an indoor flea market than interesting locations. B)

I do believe that you have so limited the category that only your photo collection will fit the category.

BTW, our "photo collection" might include one wood burning stove from a restaurant in a town we can't remember, hence we can't yet find the pix. We also have a single pic of an old washer that happened to be placed beside a Coke machine we wanted to waymark. Other than that, we're dry...

EDIT: I think we have many pix of appliances in paid museums, which we choose not to allow.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters

Right now, I'm out hunting Pokemon. Almost came up dry at Kmart, but scored a big drive by at Wal-Mart, from a shopping cart.

That was a new mode of DBW for me.

If I was a cartoonist (or had any artistic ability whatever) I could have fun with this. Picture it:

A mad Pokemon player careening through the mall in a shopping cart, whacking into every object in his path while staring fixedly at his outsized Android phone.

I too always make a donation. Formally, "entrance is by donation" so I will assume that museum management expects a donation. I will NOT consider that museum as FREE admission. For those of us who always leave a donation, we'll never know if we can visit such places without that show of appreciation.

I too always make a donation. Formally, "entrance is by donation" so I will assume that museum management expects a donation. I will NOT consider that museum as FREE admission. For those of us who always leave a donation, we'll never know if we can visit such places without that show of appreciation.

elyob, good point. We just never asked the question "Do we have to make a donation?" As you stated, they do expect a donation.

It reads "entrance is by donation". One cannot logically infer that entrance "May Be" or"Might Be" by donation. It IS by donation. The amount is up to the visitor, but some amount is definitely expected in this case.

We have a new name: HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES and PRESSES.

This will put the emphasis on "Household". (for home use only)

Any item that was used for commercial purposes will NOT be accepted into this category.

Currently the directory has not been updated to reflect the change.