Distance Between Caches

When we first started caching this summer, I read that caches had to be at least 500 or so feet apart. So when I placed the 8 caches in our small town, I adhered to that rule, which was unfortunate, because I wanted to place so many more but the distance restriction prevented us from doing that. I was wondering if that distance is merely a suggestion? We were caching in Ham Lake, MN this weekend and it sure felt like the 9 caches we found were a bit closer than 500 feet. I would like to place a couple more in town here, but some might be within the 500 ft radius. Does anyone on here have any experience with the distance issue? Thanks in advance!

It's pretty much set in concrete.

If you found multicaches, though, the distance between physical stages of the same multicache can be less than 528 feet apart.

EDIT TO ADD: The ones you found the other day are JUST 528 feet apart. If you look at the planning map (when you first start to submit a cache, those red circles on the map) and focus on the Ham Lake Park caches, you can see that while the circles overlap, none of the circles overlap the CENTERS of any other circles. Therefore they're at least 528 feet apart.

The planning map in the area of your caches does show a lot more space. Remember that the circles can overlap; they just cannot overlap more than halfway.

Edited by TriciaG

It's pretty much set in concrete.

If you found multicaches, though, the distance between physical stages of the same multicache can be less than 528 feet apart.

EDIT TO ADD: The ones you found the other day are JUST 528 feet apart. If you look at the planning map (when you first start to submit a cache, those red circles on the map) and focus on the Ham Lake Park caches, you can see that while the circles overlap, none of the circles overlap the CENTERS of any other circles. Therefore they're at least 528 feet apart.

The planning map in the area of your caches does show a lot more space. Remember that the circles can overlap; they just cannot overlap more than halfway.

I know I have space to add here (just not where I want to add :-) ), but some of the monuments and "special" places in town here are closer than 528 feet. You answered my question though and I appreciate it. Thanks!

I know I have space to add here (just not where I want to add :-) ), but some of the monuments and "special" places in town here are closer than 528 feet. You answered my question though and I appreciate it. Thanks!

You can create multi-caches that use those monuments and special places as virtual waypoints. The proximity rule does not apply to those.

For example, get finders to use a word or number on a monument to figure out the next set of coordinates.

For example, get finders to use a word or number on a monument to figure out the next set of coordinates.

[/Quote]

Yes, this works very well. A "virtual" stage of a multicache means you don't place a physical item there. In that case the 528 foot rule (0.1 miles) doesn't apply. Plus it is often better *not* to have the cache itself right at the monument - too much chance of discovery by non-cachers followed by disappearance (muggling).

[/Quote]

Yes, this works very well. A "virtual" stage of a multicache means you don't place a physical item there. In that case the 528 foot rule (0.1 miles) doesn't apply. Plus it is often better *not* to have the cache itself right at the monument - too much chance of discovery by non-cachers followed by disappearance (muggling).

Excellent point. We may try our first multicache. Any suggestions on number of points before final spot? 2-3? I have always shied away from multis when searching because I don't understand them.

[/Quote]

Excellent point. We may try our first multicache. Any suggestions on number of points before final spot? 2-3? I have always shied away from multis when searching because I don't understand them.

Use several stages *if* you have a good reason to (taking them to unique locations, etc.). People with limited time tend to avoid an 8-stage multi.

[/Quote]

You may want to start with just a two stage multi, just to get the hang of managing a multi cache. If it turns out the type of cache you like to have you can always make something more complex later. It would probably be a good idea to find a few multi caches to see what others have done and how it all works.

Welcome to the hobby.

So here's a constructive point for the new guy, made gently. You say that you've shied away from multis because you don't understand them. That statement is a red flag. The one thing you read here in the forums as much as anything else is that you should learn all you can about what we're doing before you take on cache-ownership.

There's no rule stopping you from hiding caches even if you're never found one, but (I hope) I speak for the group here when I suggest that you go find some multi-caches before you try to create one. See what works and what doesn't. See what you like about them, or dislike. Try different styles from different hiders.

Many people hide caches without reading the guidelines, evidenced by the number of pretty basic questions we get here. We're always glad to lend a hand, but your cache will be better if you know more before you put it out there.

There are things you NEED to know about multi-cache placement and spacing, including distance requirements and 'stage' types.

Ask a bunch more questions, and read the guidelines!!!!!!

...Bill

Edited by TeamRabbitRun