Garmin 450T

neil.gtis

Hi.

First, I suggest using profiles if you aren't already. These let you set up your GPS for different activities. There is already a geocaching profile, and it's pretty good as is out of the box. Try switching over to that and see if that helps. Again, it doesn't change the way the GPS works, but does optimize some settings and fields for the activity of interest. You can change and modify as needed, and even create new profiles.

Yes, the GPS will beep when you get close.... if you have that feature turned on. More importantly, if you're on the map page, use one of the geocaching dashboards and it will tell you how far away you are from the coordinates. (this is where profiles are useful because you won't want to use the geocaching profile when you're out hiking or riding your bike etc. when geocaching isn't your primary purpose for being out.)

Some people cache from the compass page, but I like the map page with the geocaching dashboard because it includes a compass pointing in the direction of the cache, the distance to the cache I'm actively navigating to, and some basic info with links to the geocaching page. You can actually customize any page to use the geocaching dashboard, or using fields, you can set one of the fields to display the distance to destination, and it will display your distance to the geocache when you are actively navigating to it.

Play around with it, and you'll eventually get it set up the way you like it.

Profiles:

Switching profiles is as simple as pressing the right and left arrow buttons on the home screen until you see the icon "Change Profiles." Selecting that will bring up a list of pre-programmed profiles, one of which will be Geocaching.

81.jpg92.jpg

Dashboards:

These are set in the Setup menu.

To set the dashboard on the map, for example, go to:

Setup > Map > Data Fields

You can select 0 (no data field), 2, 4, or Dashboard. Selecting Dashboard will bring up a list of dashboards to choose from. The 450 has two geocaching dashboards - Geocaching Nearest (which I think is the default ) and Geocaching Active. Try them each and play with them. They're both similar, but I prefer the features of the Geocaching Active dashboard.

187.jpg201.jpg