"Attended" vs Writing a Note

DaNerdling

I recently attended my first caching event and I had a great time. I went back to the listing and made a note to thank the host and other cachers involved. Almost immediately I had several different users urging me to edit my log from a note to "Attended" to increase my cache count. My only issue is I didn't actually "find" anything, I just ate breakfast with fellow cachers. I replied to them all with this and they all gave me a somewhat confused response back. I just feel like my cache count will no longer be accurate if I log an event as nothing was actually found. Just curious if anyone else feels this way, surely I'm not the only one.

I recently attended my first caching event and I had a great time. I went back to the listing and made a note to thank the host and other cachers involved. Almost immediately I had several different users urging me to edit my log from a note to "Attended" to increase my cache count. My only issue is I didn't actually "find" anything, I just ate breakfast with fellow cachers. I replied to them all with this and they all gave me a somewhat confused response back. I just feel like my cache count will no longer be accurate if I log an event as nothing was actually found. Just curious if anyone else feels this way, surely I'm not the only one.

Not the only one.

I'd say we've logged less than half the events we've attended (we don't even write note).

Folks know we were there, since we often bring stuff from work for their kids. :)

Most times we log if it's something special (like a wedding/retirement or similar), but pass if it's a typical meet.

When the other 2/3rds was a stat-nut looking for a souvenir, it was a log-it or else day. :laughing:

It is perfectly acceptable for you to log an Attended log for an event. After all, you did Attend. There is nothing to find at an event except the company of other geocachers. As someone said, that is why the log type for events is Attended and not Found.

Just curious if anyone else feels this way, surely I'm not the only one.

Do what you want, it doesn't matter to me, but I have to admit I don't understand your thinking. You attended. Why wouldn't you log that you attended? It has nothing to do with increasing your cache count, it's just logging the facts. The difference between logging a Note and logging Attended is that if you log a Note, I'm going to think you weren't there even if that leaves me puzzled about why you're thanking the host.

So I'm curious: do you use the same "I didn't find anything" logic and not log finds on EarthCaches and Virtuals?

It's an "Event Cache," a formal cache type. You can meet up with other cachers any time you want, but event caches are for specific times at specific locations. You found the location and you found the group of people meeting at the designated time. You may have even signed a log book. Seems to me like you fulfilled all the requirements to log the event "Attended" and gain a smiley.

Edited by J Grouchy

It's an "Event Cache," a formal cache type. You can meet up with other cachers any time you want, but event caches are for specific times at specific locations. You found the location and you found the group of people meeting at the designated time. You may have even signed a log book. Seems to me like you fulfilled all the requirements to log the event "Attended" and gain a smiley.

+1

My only issue is I didn't actually "find" anything, I just ate breakfast with fellow cachers.

Please consider this.

It's very common to have a lot of trackables in Events, so if you Retrieve some, it would be "strange" to log them... without an Attended in the Event where you grab them, doesn't it?

Makes sense to you?

Edited by RuideAlmeida
My only issue is I didn't actually "find" anything, I just ate breakfast with fellow cachers.

Please consider this.

It's very common to have a lot of trackables in Events, so if you Retrieve some, it would be "strange" to log them... without an Attended in the Event where you grab them, doesn't it?

Makes sense to you?

- Bolded mine.

I can see logging an attended on the rare time I'd grab a trackable at an event, but it'd have to be listed into the event before I left for it.

Here, those seem to have the worst track record for accuracy.

I see a morning event as something that many of us have done regularly before heading out on a hike as a group.

- Only now folks are showing up who wouldn't think of walking mileage ( past 50' from parking) just for that smiley. :laughing:

Edited by cerberus1

Just make sure you stay this pure when you get the urge to container drop or cheat on your future streak.

In all seriousness, if you attended the event you should mark it as having Attended. At the top of your profile it says..

Name	Count

Note that it only says count. And at the bottom it only says found.. like you found your way to the event. I think you're taking things too literally for my book. But to each our own.