Too many - Too soon

Continued from the other thread:

(on the topic of limiting owners' placement; in this case, holding off before placement, rather than limiting the max placements; thought this thread might be more appropriate, if not I'll move it back)

Nothing negative about it? This vicious impulse to limit and penalize other geocachers who didn't get into the game before some undefined golden age of geocaching is thoroughly negative. I am just thankful that Groundspeak has never given in to the voices calling for such harsh actions and I hope they continue to treat new cachers positively, even if some grumps in the game cannot.

Well then I hope GS never ever creates or changes any new rules or guidelines, because who are they to "limit and penalize" anyone but experienced veterans, who never had to deal with such draconian requirements; blame the newbies! unsure.gif

This has nothing to do with "golden age" or "modern" new players. This is about creating a standard for listing geocaches on Groundspeak's listing service. It's entirely their call and definition (which btw has no bearing on what we can actually do in the real world, only what's required to use their listing service).

If they create a rule that appears to lessen the impact of geocaching, hopefully they've taken that into consideration. If not, they may change it back. Who knows.

Again, the benefit of a probationary period (which is most certainly not a unique concept in life) would be to mitigate problem caches and new cachers who don't either don't become invested in the hobby or place caches that meet a minimum standard defined by Groundspeak.

The drawback is that newcomers to the activity would have to practice a little patience and observation (the whole point of a probationary period) before being given higher responsibilities. The expectation being that that period will help hone them towards the defined standard, but of course there is no guarantee.

I don't know if they'll start limiting, but I'm on the fence about it. I see the benefit, but I also see that the legitimate problems it would solve are relatively few and rare. So whatever. But yeeshk, it can accomplish something, and it's definitely not as destructive as some people seme to make it out to be.

ETA: de-sourced the quote for the well-being of the quotee.

Edited by thebruce0

I don't know if they'll start limiting, but I'm on the fence about it. I see the benefit, but I also see that the legitimate problems it would solve are relatively few and rare. So whatever. But yeeshk, it can accomplish something, and it's definitely not as destructive as some people seme to make it out to be.

I agree completely.

Lots of people try geocaching, but soon give it up. I mean very soon, they go out once or twice. They find it isn't for them. Most of them don't hide caches so no issue.

Once someone becomes an established cacher, some will be great hiders who maintain, others not so great. Some will be great for years, then lose interest. Probationary period doesn't help with the not so great or the ones who drop out.

Probationary period only helps with the case where someone gets excited about the idea and hides shortly after starting, but soon loses interest.

I agree these are a small percentage, so while it's an OK idea, I'm not too bothered either way.