WOM Cache

paticpatic

2 of my travel bugs are placed in a cache called Emma's Passport. When I click the link I get this message "Cache is Unpublished". I messaged the geo-cacher that placed them in that cache and they said "It's a WOM cache so it won't be on the map". I googled WOM cache but didn't find anything out. Can someone tell me what a WOM cache is? Thanks for your help :)

Link to one of my travel bugs in this cache.

https://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=6512164

I looked at the unpublished cache, thinking that perhaps "WOM" was an abbreviation for an upcoming event cache and that this cache (and the OP's trackable) would be published in connection with the event.

That is not the case. This is not a "real" cache that's been submitted for review and eventual publication. Rather, it's a private vault for a collection of trackables that the geocacher has picked up, but hasn't dropped off.

The OP should write back to that geocacher and ask when they can expect their trackables to be placed in a real cache so that the trackables can resume their journeys. If a satisfactory answer isn't given, I'd recommend writing to Geocaching HQ for assistance. There is no reason for using cache listings like this anymore, since the introduction of the "collection" feature for one's own trackables.

• Upvote 2

Word of Mouth or World of Minecraft, either way it sounds like a trackable prison. I'd take it to Groundspeak for resolution.

The Minecraft spin on the acronym makes me think of a couple of threads that folks started with the idea of working the game into some puzzle concept. The same notion could be used to hide tracking codes in the game play to create a virtual discovery list.

Word of Mouth or World of Minecraft, either way it sounds like a trackable prison. I'd take it to Groundspeak for resolution.

The Minecraft spin on the acronym makes me think of a couple of threads that folks started with the idea of working the game into some puzzle concept. The same notion could be used to hide tracking codes in the game play to create a virtual discovery list.

Just as a point of clarification, Minecraft is the name of the game but there is a 'worldofminecraft" website where those that play the game of Minecraft share information and downloads of extensions to the game. There's also a game called "World of Warcraft", which is much different.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

If in need of a rescue action.

You'll find your TB there:

N 43.1019 W 88.2894

Hans

Hans, I don't understand your reply. Do you know where my travel bugs is? Can you provide more detail? Thanks

That are the listing coords of the cache that your TB is in. ;-)

Hans

Edited by HHL

Could that simply mean Word of Mouth? So, a private cache you tell only your friends about... not a good place to put a TB. It's almost like keeping the TB on your desk, it's not actually travelling.

Interesting. You might be right. That's a familiar type of thing in the letterboxing world. Some people hide WOM boxes and share it's location only by Word of Mouth, they don't list it. Or they list it as a WOM box and you have to contact the owner to get the location.

N 43.1019 W 88.2894

Hans

Hans, I don't understand your reply. Do you know where my travel bugs is? Can you provide more detail? Thanks

Hans

Where did you find these listed cords? I don't know where you found them?

N 43.1019 W 88.2894

Hans

Hans

Where did you find these listed cords? I don't know where you found them?

Fairly well known backdoor method of revealing the coordinates via trackable dropping in unpublished listings I assume. I thought it was fixed, but maybe not.