Geocaching Day Streak Ending against my will....

Seanso

If anyone could offer some advice on my predicament that would be most appreciated.

I recently decided to get a geocache every single day, to challenge myself and also to fill out the calendar matrix. I am currently travelling the USA and will be flying to New Zealand to continue my travels. The only problem is this...

I will be flying out of LA at about 21:30 8th January and landing in Fiji 06:00 on the 10th January....

Due to my flight and time zones, I will be in the air for the few hours of the 9th I actually see.

Can anyone offer some suggestions of any caches that can help keep my streak alive?! Virtuals, Challenge Caches that need certain requirements but no physical cache? April fools caches that were in space?!

Many Thanks,

I will be flying out of LA at about 21:30 8th January and landing in Fiji 06:00 on the 10th January....

Due to my flight and time zones, I will be in the air for the few hours of the 9th I actually see.

Clearly, you need to change your travel plans, perhaps scheduling an overnight layover or two so you can keep your streak alive.

But all good things must come to an end. Even kablooey's streak ended after a little more than 10 years...

There are really no options regardless of the type of cache. Virtuals, challenges, puzzles, in fact every cache type, requires that you visit the location. That will be impossible 30,000 feet up there.

An argument can be made that if you log a cache the day you arrive, you are technically finding caches on consecutive days, though not consecutive calendar days. If you back date your logs while in Fiji to represent your home time zone, problem solved. Some people may find that a bit cheesy, but I think a solid logical argument can be made for doing it that way.

If not, then time to start a new streak. As NiraD mentioned, Kablooey had a streak of over 10 years going when he simply forgot one day to find a cache. He simply shrugged his shoulders and started a new streak.

Edited by briansnat

You will just need to change your flight, go via Europe.... :)

Yep.It is the crossing of the international date line from east to west that causes the problem. The flight itself is "only" 11 1/2 hours (I've been on many much longer). With time zone changes leaving LAX at 9:30PM would have an arrival early morning the next day. Crossing the date line adds 24 hours. Going the other direction would be possible, but you'd be adding time zones. A flight from LAX to Dubai, then from Dubai to Nadi, FIji (via Bangkok and Hong Kong) would allow time for a find Dubai the day after leaving LAX, and another in Hong Kong or Bangkok (if there's a cache right at either airport) the day after. Airfare would be over $9000 though. A layover in Honolulu would have worked though.

We were looking at a similar situation when we went to Japan in 2011. Not to keep a streak alive, but for a "date placed" challenge. We'd somehow managed to never find a cache on December 7th, and that's the day we'd miss on our flight.

My initial response was to find a cache the day before and post-date the log, since I could argue I was setting my watch to Tokyo time and therefore found it on December 7th in Japan. I could have gone out after midnight and been able to log the cache with the right date with a straight face, but I didn't.

Later, I felt like a cheater, so I went back, changed the date to December 6th, and ended up having a hole on my caching calendar until December 2013.

Whether you are going for a challenge cache or just keeping a streak alive for personal reasons, it sounds like you're going to miss a day and you'll have to start over. Looking on the bright side, your streak is still less than 30 days old, so it's not like you are losing out on a year here. Just pick up a new streak and maintain it with integrity. I seldom find that justifying an action with questionable logic is worth it.

Technically, you haven't completed all the find requirements for an EarthCache, virtual cache, or webcam cache until you send the cache owner the information they ask for on their listing pages. So, if you submit that information on 9 Jan. via the plane's WIFI network, then you could log your find on 9 Jan. and keep your streak alive.

Personally, I'd find that behavior rather cheesy if you don't normally log those caches on the day you send the information (rather than on the day you visit the cache location). I'd rather have a 50-day streak that I could be proud of rather than claim an ethically tainted streak of 500 days.

If anyone could offer some advice on my predicament that would be most appreciated.

I recently decided to get a geocache every single day, to challenge myself and also to fill out the calendar matrix. I am currently travelling the USA and will be flying to New Zealand to continue my travels. The only problem is this...

Can anyone offer some suggestions of any caches that can help keep my streak alive?! Virtuals, Challenge Caches that need certain requirements but no physical cache? April fools caches that were in space?!

Many Thanks,

Even though you are in a different time zone, logging time on GC site is Seattle time by default. So you should be good.

When I am logging finds where I am I always have to advance the log date by one day to log on correct date here (in OZ).

Just remember it works in reverse on the way back.

An EarthCache is completed when you send answers to the CO, as it always states that you can log the cache immediately after doing that. Since I'm trying to have a 1 year streak (started from trying to have 2 weeks :laughing: ), I always keep a few spare EarthCaches which I visited earlier and gathered all the data. When I'm in need (everyone has days when they just can't go caching) I send the answers and log the cache. I consider it fair as I DID visit the GZ and fulfilled all the requirements. And I log the caches exactly when it is permitted.

I treat this as the last resort as gathering EC's isn't that easy and they are easily consumed. I'v never had more than 5 spare ECs at one time.

An EarthCache is completed when you send answers to the CO, as it always states that you can log the cache immediately after doing that. Since I'm trying to have a 1 year streak (started from trying to have 2 weeks :laughing: ), I always keep a few spare EarthCaches which I visited earlier and gathered all the data. When I'm in need (everyone has days when they just can't go caching) I send the answers and log the cache.

I have always thought a streak ended if there are days where you can't go caching. Certainly, you should log an earthcache or a virtual after submitting answers, but the dates for my finds are based on when the site is visited and the answers obtained. That is when I found it, and using different dates could potentially create problems for some of the earthcaches I have done (or one that I own). Submitting the answers just clears me to log the cache as a find.

The OP will have to decide if his streak is defined by the day that a cache was actually visited or the day that it was logged. It seems there are various methods for logging caches on days where no cache was actually visited. I do not have an interest in doing a streak, but respected kablooey's because I knew that he actually visited a cache on each day that he claimed. A "streak" based on having virtuals or earthcaches in reserve does not seem like much of a streak - if I had held all my virtuals and earthcaches in reserve I could have had quite a streak, yet it would not have meant anything. I suppose it's up to the person to decide whether a claimed streak involves going to a cache or simply logging one for each of the days in question, but the latter is not that hard to do.

Edited by geodarts

Technically, you haven't completed all the find requirements for an EarthCache, virtual cache, or webcam cache until you send the cache owner the information they ask for on their listing pages. So, if you submit that information on 9 Jan. via the plane's WIFI network, then you could log your find on 9 Jan. and keep your streak alive.

Personally, I'd find that behavior rather cheesy if you don't normally log those caches on the day you send the information (rather than on the day you visit the cache location). I'd rather have a 50-day streak that I could be proud of rather than claim an ethically tainted streak of 500 days.

I do that with challenge caches that I sign but do not meet the requirements to log a find. I don't want to back date the find to the sign date, because then my numbering and milestones will be off. I usually log the find what ever date I verify that I meet the requirements.

I always log EarthCaches, virtual caches, and webcam caches the same date I visited the location. That's mostly for the same reason as well, I don't want my numbering or milestones to be off.

Can anyone offer some suggestions of any caches that can help keep my streak alive?!

Bogus log. That's really your only option.

If you don't have the ability to cache on January 9th, then your streak will end. It's as simple as that. If you did bogus-log a cache just to keep your streak alive, it will forever have an asterisk beside it in your mind. You need to accept that your (relatively-short) streak will soon end, and you'll just have to start a new one. You'll feel a lot better about yourself this way, because you can later claim with complete honesty that your new streak is 100% legitimate.

And here I thought everybody cheats on their streaks. This post proves that at least one cacher is not willing to cheat like so many I know that do.

I believe hzoi is in the minority in this respect. Of the several local cachers who are on long streaks, I know for a fact that they're all employing veeeeeery questionable (or outright bogus) practices, including:

• "Saving" Virtuals/EarthCaches
  • Finding a cache, but waiting until a more convenient date to come back and sign the log
  • Outright signing the log/logging online with the wrong date

Personally, I can state that I went out and legitimately found a cache on every day of my 51-day streak. I can't in good conscience employ any of the "workarounds" described above.

Let go of the streak. The blasted things are baaad for sanity.

There may come a day when you really really really need to go to the hospital, but you don't know how long that'll take*, and you haven't yet got your cache for the day. Who wants a dilemma like that? Or your marriage badly needs some maintenance, but first...

(* the rest of your life?)

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Bogus log. That's really your only option.

If you don't have the ability to cache on January 9th, then your streak will end. It's as simple as that. If you did bogus-log a cache just to keep your streak alive, it will forever have an asterisk beside it in your mind. You need to accept that your (relatively-short) streak will soon end, and you'll just have to start a new one. You'll feel a lot better about yourself this way, because you can later claim with complete honesty that your new streak is 100% legitimate.

Let go of the streak. The blasted things are baaad for sanity.

In this case, it wouldn't be quite as bogus, after all, you'd be caching on each rotation of the earth! It isn't your fault we have the date line where it is..... :)

I do agree with letting go the streak..... we just did a 14 day streak, when I say we, I mean my 7yo son and myself, squeezing caches into lunchbreaks and after work/daycare started becoming a chore, and my wife was getting unimpressed..... also we started after we had 1000 finds, so there is truly slim pickings close to home..... People who do multi-year streaks must live in areas with a larger cache turnover than we do....

And here I thought everybody cheats on their streaks. This post proves that at least one cacher is not willing to cheat like so many I know that do.

I believe hzoi is in the minority in this respect. Of the several local cachers who are on long streaks, I know for a fact that they're all employing veeeeeery questionable (or outright bogus) practices, including:

• Finding a cache, but waiting until a more convenient date to come back and sign the log

Personally, I can state that I went out and legitimately found a cache on every day of my 51-day streak. I can't in good conscience employ any of the "workarounds" described above.

I started a streak once and got to day #174 before there was no way, no how, I could pull off a find. I opted to end the streak and have never been happier.

If you continue to log at least one cache during each rotation of the earth then to me that's one a day and the fact that there's an arbitrary line in the middle of the ocean which messes with the dates doesn't doesn't alter the fact that you're on an unbroken streak, so you could: continue dating your logs in the US timezone once you cross the dateline until such time as you have the opportunity to find two caches within one rotation of the earth, at that point you could log one against the original timezone, and one against your new timezone and so catch that missing day and stay on the new timezone going forward.

Some might think it's a bit cheesy (including me), or even cheating (not me) but it's your call.

For the record, this was for filling the 366-day grid, not a streak.

I did one long streak back when we started in 2007, and we did actually go out and find a cache on every day, starting 26 March. On 23 June, when caching took over what would otherwise have been a fun date night in Frankfurt (we ended up having to take an unplanned S-Bahn ride and use my cell phone screen to find a film can in the dark that was the final to a multi), I resolved that the streak would not last much longer. We ended it after 102 days on 5 July 2007.

Thank you to all of thoss who posted an interesting viewpoint regardless of which side of the fence you're on.

There's been a number of times where I think I could've logged a cache,but if I cheat, or use questionable means, I think the whole thing comes tumbling down and I think why do I bother....

I guess this actually comes in too, I'll simply let it go and know that my geocaching record behind me is 100% legit :)

Especially as Queenstown in NZ hasn't got the most geocaches in the world and I'll be there a month or more.

Thanks all!

Yikes! I am hoping a day like that never comes! I have been doing a streak for over 5 years. I got lucky when I first started and someone told me not to find the ones close to home so I never find one close to home unless I have to. I work usually about 50 miles or so from home in any direction 6 days a week. On days off I usually go visit my daughter who lives far away so it has been pretty easy except for days off but then I can drive somewhere and grab one. I don't use virtuals or earth caches for the streak because I have a fear that a CO might decide I didn't answer right and then it would be broken so if I find one of those I will also find a traditional or letterbox or something.

After 5 years I have decided if I am stuck out on a house boat or something and don't want to jump off I will let the streak end but am going to keep it going until something like that happens. I have found it a fun part of my caching, the only problem I have is when a friend places a cache near where I live and wants me to find it (If I don't get FTF) It might take months or more for me to go find it. There is one that is on my way to the office with our name on it that has probibly been out for a year that I still haven't found because I am saving it for a rainy day.

I sometimes on days off will find a reason to go to the office that is across the bay and I can grab one that way as well. I am worried once I end it and don't have to find one every day I might let long times go and end up not caching as much. I can see how a long streak without a job like mine would be very hard! I'm not sure I would have been able to do a year if I just worked near home or even fairly far away but in the same place every day.

I your streak is only at 30 days or so just end it and start over.

An EarthCache is completed when you send answers to the CO, as it always states that you can log the cache immediately after doing that. Since I'm trying to have a 1 year streak (started from trying to have 2 weeks :laughing: ), I always keep a few spare EarthCaches which I visited earlier and gathered all the data. When I'm in need (everyone has days when they just can't go caching) I send the answers and log the cache. I consider it fair as I DID visit the GZ and fulfilled all the requirements. And I log the caches exactly when it is permitted.

I treat this as the last resort as gathering EC's isn't that easy and they are easily consumed. I'v never had more than 5 spare ECs at one time.

Hey as long as your geo-ethical self respect is intact more power to you for adopting this stance.

I'm with most others who have replied to this thread. The find date is when you visit the EC/Virt site, complete the challenge task, or locate the object/container. If you want to play games with the logging dates for some artificial streak have fun with that.

I started a streak once and got to day #174 before there was no way, no how, I could pull off a find. I opted to end the streak and have never been happier.

Hmmmm....I had a 900+ day streak (physical cache every day) that I lost on a business trip into Mexico - there were just no caches where we were. When I got back everyone said "Oh, why didn't you have some challenge caches set back for those days?"

Despite the condescension some imply with how they respond to certain 'strategies', ultimately the definition of "geocaching" in the context of your "streak" is up to you.

Excellent comment.

Many consider these as 'grey' areas in these types of caches. Physical caches which only require a name in the log are generally considered found only on the date you physically sign the log. Virtuals and Earthcaches require extra work, and some believe that that 'work' being part of the ALR means you can log it found on the date you complete all the work (having also visited the location). Challenges similarly - once you've signed the log and qualified for the challenge, that's the date some (most, I'd guess) will choose to log the cache as found.

All these 'somes' show that the choice is really up to you, and if you ignore the people who make you fee like crap for "cheating" because they employed a different strategy and thus have a "real" streak, then you can ultimately decide whether you're cheating yourself or not - and that is the question only you can answer.

Any streak, really, is worth effort, if legitimately done abiding by the rules, if in good conscience, and especially if accomplishing any personal goals.

No streak is worth cheating yourself to keep going. What's the value in that? The only reward for keeping a streak alive is your own satisfaction. No point trying to fool yourself, right? Unless you're in it for the approval of others, bragging rights - but then it's not about your own goals, and all of the above 'grey' areas will come back to bite you when you open your streak to public scrutiny. :)

So, if to you your geocaching streak is merely "doing something geocaching-related", and you can therefore sign a log taking advantage of those dating grey areas, then go for it, if you're not cheating your own conscience.

But if you want a "clean" streak by being able to say you were physically at the location component of any listed geocache, then you may be out of luck unless you can change your flight.

If you're not doing it for bragging rights, then don't listen to people who cry foul on the grey areas. They did it a certain way, and that's great, but it's not the only way.

(It's just like drama about strategies for high-numbers days - people will debate and rant out the wazoo about others' strategies claiming some are legitimate and others not - but ultimately it doesn't matter in the slightest, if all the finds are technically valid).

Choose your strategy and own it. That's really all there is to it.

Personally, if it's acceptable in your mind, I would recommend the virtual/earthcache strategy. Visit one you know you have to do extra research for, and you can do some research on the plane (legitimately) to answer those additional questions.

Challenge cache won't work since qualifying for a challenge would likely require also doing more physical geocaching :P

But, if you want to physically find caches to keep your streak alive, then this strategy will be cheating yourself and you should take the hit and let the streak end. At least it wasn't because you personally failed in your goal ;)

Edited by thebruce0
  • Upvote 1

Sure, to each their own. But I reserve the right to mock those bragging about a streak when I know for a fact they cheated (I am talking specifics here, not generally). The philosophy of "If it feels good do it" will ultimately be our demise. It's starts with a location based game (so who cares) and then eventually moves into other important aspects of our lives.

Sure, to each their own. But I reserve the right to mock those bragging about a streak when I know for a fact they cheated (I am talking specifics here, not generally). The philosophy of "If it feels good do it" will ultimately be our demise. It's starts with a location based game (so who cares) and then eventually moves into other important aspects of our lives.

If you take it to the extreme, I agree about cheating. That is, strict rule-breaking. If it's not rule-breaking, it's not objectively cheating. However, if you set your own goal and strategy and you break that, then you're only cheating yourself.

I don't agree with the general sentiment "everyone plays their own way" (or "if it feels good do it"), which alone implies people who abide by rules are somehow stuckup and stubborn. But I don't like when strict rule-abiders condescend against those who understand and make use of grey areas, where rules aren't actually being broken.

So my point was agreeing with previous comments regarding what some people utilize as geocaching strategies that are not strictly against the rules.

And sure, some people may mock and criticize (usually the strict rule-abiders). But don't take that personally if you aren't actually breaking any rules. That's all.

And if you don't want to deal with any angst or drama, just play it safe and follow the status quo, don't kick any hornet's nests :) (just try not to get on others' cases who do toy around in those grey areas).

Edited by thebruce0