The Spot (GC39) missing?

What's probably keeping many from attempting to find it are the recent log which strongly suggest that it's missing.

The problem with a little bit of snow is that the road that goes up to the nearest parking area is a "seasonal road". That means that it's not maintained or plowed, typically between December and March. A little bit of snow isn't much of an issue on most roads in the area, or even getting from the parking area to GZ, but driving a seasonal road as steep as this one can get quite treacherous.

I have a 4x4 and a pair of boots, so I'm having a hard time understanding if this old cache is so important why no one is attempting it. :anicute:

So just how far would I have to hike from the nearest drop off point? :unsure:

The problem with a little bit of snow is that the road that goes up to the nearest parking area is a "seasonal road". That means that it's not maintained or plowed, typically between December and March. A little bit of snow isn't much of an issue on most roads in the area, or even getting from the parking area to GZ, but driving a seasonal road as steep as this one can get quite treacherous.

I have been plotting a route, are we talking about S Hill road? :unsure:

If so, then N 42° 40.399 W077° 20.254 looks like a logical DZ or parking area.

Edited by Manville Possum

Yes. That is the DEC parking lot for the upper area. When the cache was placed, I don't think that was an official parking spot and you could only park at the bottom.

Yes. That is the DEC parking lot for the upper area. When the cache was placed, I don't think that was an official parking spot and you could only park at the bottom.

I thought you guys upstate had snow machines and stuff? :laughing: This is really getting silly, I wish I were closer so we could pack in a fresh ammo can and look for the old one. :)

What is keeping someone from attempting to find this geocache now? Sorry, but if I knew I have forgot now.

We've had a little bit of snow this past week. I don't know how much GZ has gotten, but I'm pretty sure there is some snow on the hill.

The area has has become quite popular over the years. It isn't as secluded as it once was. When I was there two years ago, there was a fire ring 50' from GZ.

So a little snow is keeping anyone from attempting to find it?

What's probably keeping many from attempting to find it are the recent log which strongly suggest that it's missing.

I remember that road. I found the cache when there was no snow and we were in an all wheel drive and we really struggled with that hill even without snow. And yes people probably aren't finding it because of the current situation. And no one has gone there because the CO posted that he was going to go and check on it. So why would anyone else go and look for it if the CO has already said he plans on going? If the CO hadn't responded there probably would have been a search party formed.

I don't think the cache needs to be archived. The CO has promised to go and replace the cache if it is indeed missing.

I don't think the cache needs to be archived. The CO has promised to go and replace the cache if it is indeed missing.

If it were my listing, I would care enough to temp disable the darn thing until I could go and check on it. Maybe the CO needs a NA posted to it for motivation?

Not being able to drive close to the cache is no excuse, it's not a P&G. :anitongue:

Noticed one stated they'd be in the area this month.

If me, I'd go with my hand-held metal detector. :)

I'd think they'd have to be honest about finding it... or didn't.

All those trackables in inventory, it'd be awkward for a throwdowner to try to convince others it's the original container without them. :D

Kinda agree with MP, a temp disable might be a good idea.

If it were my listing, I would care enough to temp disable the darn thing until I could go and check on it. Maybe the CO needs a NA posted to it for motivation?

Not being able to drive close to the cache is no excuse, it's not a P&G. :anitongue:

Several of the DNFs mention *attempting* to get to GZ from the bottom of the hill. The terrain there is very steep and would be very difficult to navigate even in summer. GZ is at the edge of a knoll that drops off very steeply into a gully. From the parking area you mention it's a little less than a half mile hike downhill to the cache. Most of it is on a easy trail and gets a bit steeper near the end. The cache probably should be disabled until it can be replaced, but the fact that nobody's trying to find suggests that disabling it may not be necessary. It may still take awhile but I suspect that the CO (who is the original CO) will replace it when he can get there, and perhaps a search party will form to try and find the lost container when the weather improves.

Several of the DNFs mention *attempting* to get to GZ from the bottom of the hill. The terrain there is very steep and would be very difficult to navigate even in summer. GZ is at the edge of a knoll that drops off very steeply into a gully. From the parking area you mention it's a little less than a half mile hike downhill to the cache. Most of it is on a easy trail and gets a bit steeper near the end. The cache probably should be disabled until it can be replaced, but the fact that nobody's trying to find suggests that disabling it may not be necessary. It may still take awhile but I suspect that the CO (who is the original CO) will replace it when he can get there, and perhaps a search party will form to try and find the lost container when the weather improves.

Some people need to calm their horses.. its the middle of winter here and the cache is quite hard to get to, unlike most of the other year 2000 caches. And I suspect the CO is older and would struggle getting to GZ.

It may still take awhile but I suspect that the CO (who is the original CO) will replace it when he can get there, and perhaps a search party will form to try and find the lost container when the weather improves.[/size]

That all sounds reasonable, which reminds me of two of my mountain top caches that are only accessible by foot or ATV were temp disabled by a reviewer because of a few DNF's. I was not given the option to check on them within my own time frame. :(

"Da Flier" is going to be in the area and may do a drive-by ... already gave my Carolinian friends the heads up that this may have to wait for better weather. Seems like this one may be a June event. Film at 11

The 4-5" of snow we got in the area last night ought to be gone by then. The Spot is a bit out of the way for a drive by, especially if you're coming from Carolina.

Looks like The Spot has been found alive and well :D

That's odd, wonder why just a Write Note?

Maybe the found it will be done later...

The cacher that posted that note has finds logged in Germany 5 days ago. And it doesn't appear they have logged finds on any caches in the US ever.

Seems sketchy..

You think? :laughing: I'll wait until they log some of the trackables in the cache first before I believe the original container has been found. :P

So after seeing that person's note I sent them an email just asking about it. This is what they responded to me.

"We're actually with a group of 5 on a trip in parts of the US and Canada (Seattle, Portland, Forks, Vancouver, Niagarafalls) . At this moment we're located in NewYork. We going to log all caches when we are back in germany monday, 03-13-17, cause those caches earn more than just ohne quick sentence. In a matter of fact we thought it would be meanwhile an important information for the owner and other cachers, that the stash is lying there in good condition.

There are more than enough pictures from our group standing whith the original container with the original logbooks and items. They will come with the log."

It's possible they did find it just taking their time logging anything.

So after seeing that person's note I sent them an email just asking about it. This is what they responded to me.

"We're actually with a group of 5 on a trip in parts of the US and Canada (Seattle, Portland, Forks, Vancouver, Niagarafalls) . At this moment we're located in NewYork. We going to log all caches when we are back in germany monday, 03-13-17, cause those caches earn more than just ohne quick sentence. In a matter of fact we thought it would be meanwhile an important information for the owner and other cachers, that the stash is lying there in good condition.

There are more than enough pictures from our group standing whith the original container with the original logbooks and items. They will come with the log."

That sounds encouraging but they just logged a find on a cache in Germany on the 10th, the day after the note posted for The Spot.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

That sounds encouraging but they just logged a find on a cache in Germany on the 10th, the day after the note posted for The Spot.

They also logged quite a few caches in Germany 6 days ago. If they are here visiting all those places and will be back to Germany on 3-13 ?? Just doesn't seem to add up. I really hope they found it. And am looking forward to seeing more

So it has been found, and from the photos it was not knee deep in snow or mud. :laughing:

It was a over two months between the time of the DNFs and when the group from Germany found it. A lot can change in that time. If that group from Germany would have tried to find it a week after they were there it *would* have been buried in snow. Much of the area got around 2 feet of snow on the 14th and 15th. One of the finders posts indicated that the container was found about 45 feet away from GZ. Given the terrain in that area the DNFs are understandable.

On 1/2/2017 at 8:47 PM, Wintz50 said:

The oldest Cache in WV was actually a bag phone. Someone must've cito'd it awhile back after a lock n lock was placed there to keep the log dry. An ammo can is a nice replacement though ;)

Well I finally got around to finding GC3F0. It's a nice little lock-n-lock with damp contents. I put it inside of a ammo can to keep it more dry. :)

16 hours ago, hzoi said:

Gratuitous thread bump - if anyone is interested in verifying GC39's continued existence, a search party will be gathering for provisions at The Sawmill at noon on April 4th and then proceeding on to the trailhead.

For those that don't know, The Sawmill is a restaurant along the shores of Canandaigua lake, a short distance from The Spot.  I might be joining the search party as well (and have previously found the cache). Based on a recent photo taken a few days ago it looks like bringing a good pair of waterproof hiking shoes would be a good idea.  There's still quite a bit of snow there.

2 hours ago, The Magna Defender said:

Its been found and logged since 2017. Whats the point in going out to look for it? 

Man, if there was no point in going out to find a cache that's already been found, we wouldn't have much of a hobby!

:P

But yes, per the op, it appears the cache is still in play, not missing. And that's why we're going to find it :)  I see hzoi's "verifying GC39's continued existence" really as exactly what geocachers do with every find! lol

9 hours ago, The Magna Defender said:

Its been found and logged since 2017. Whats the point in going out to look for it? 

Well, you see, GC39 is part of a worldwide activity called geocaching.  You use a GPS receiver to travel to a set of coordinates, where there is (usually) a container.  Sign the log, and then you can log your find online!

I found a video that can explain more.

After all, if Mancunian revenge caches and Lancashirian petty rivalries can continually hijack the main fora, then a gathering trip to the oldest geocache in New York doesn't seem so out of place, at least briefly. 

@Keystone et al.: sorry for the side discussion, which I will end now.

• Upvote 1
23 hours ago, thebruce0 said:
On 3/29/2018 at 7:10 AM, The Magna Defender said:

Man, if there was no point in going out to find a cache that's already been found, we wouldn't have much of a hobby!

As I suggested earlier I am considering joining Hzoi in the pursuit of confirming The Spots existence.  Yes, it's been found recently and I found it several years ago but it's a place worth revisiting.  

21 hours ago, hzoi said:

Thanks for paging me to alert me to the current discussion.  I'm less concerned with the nature of recent posts than I am about the fact that the expedition is scheduled for a Wednesday.  Had this been on a weekend, I would have driven up from Pittsburgh to join you all.  (I grew up in the Rochester area and "The Spot" has been on my to-do list since 2002.)

3 minutes ago, Keystone said:
21 hours ago, hzoi said:

Thanks for paging me to alert me to the current discussion.  I'm less concerned with the nature of recent posts than I am about the fact that the expedition is scheduled for a Wednesday.  Had this been on a weekend, I would have driven up from Pittsburgh to join you all.  (I grew up in the Rochester area and "The Spot" has been on my to-do list since 2002.)

It's Spring Break, man!  Take a day.  I'm driving up from Newport News.

11 minutes ago, hzoi said:
13 minutes ago, Keystone said:

I'm less concerned with the nature of recent posts than I am about the fact that the expedition is scheduled for a Wednesday.  Had this been on a weekend, I would have driven up from Pittsburgh to join you all.  (I grew up in the Rochester area and "The Spot" has been on my to-do list since 2002.)

It's Spring Break, man!  Take a day.  I'm driving up from Newport News.

Likewise, taking the day off work to drive down for the day :)

@Keystone Hope you can make it, c'mon you know you want to :) it'd be great to meet up. But if not, maybe paths will cross at Geowoodstock assuming you're heading there.

Wow.  Shame you didn't plan some before that GTB  hzoi, you coulda held an event.     :laughing:

Truck inspection & fly casting class Mon, might finally get an okay from the doc Tue, Wednesday was too close for me as well. 

- And I was whining that it's a four hour drive, hitting the two and driving back.    :D

I thought of posting an Event a week or two ago, but we didn't get a date confirmed until this past Tuesday, too soon for the publish event process to allow. Thought of contacting a reviewer to make an exception, but that might open a can of worms :P

It's 4 hour drive for me too, cross border. I'll be doing a bit of target searching for the route also, just to break up the drive one way or the other :)  Looking forward to the trip.

4 hours ago, The Magna Defender said:

I may have missed a lot of the thread. From what I read you were going to look for the spot cache after it had two dnfs on it and muggling. I checked the listing and it had numerous found logs. I was rather confused. 

It think hzoi chose to bump this thread because it was already about The Spot.  The thread was started when there was some speculation that is was missing but it was confirmed that it was still in place a long time ago.  Since it was subsequently found after the two DNFs we really don't that it was muggled.   I've been waffling about whether I was going to go on Wednesday but you can count me in too.  

As I suggested to hzoi in a PM if you (theBruce0) don't mind going a little out of   the way back going up through Letchworth park is worth the extra time.  

Edited by NYPaddleCacher
9 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

As I suggested to hzoi in a PM if you (theBruce0) don't mind going a little out of   the way back going up through Letchworth park is worth the extra time.

Recommended caches? Between the N and S end, that is a WHOLE lot of ground to cover ;P

I'm bookmarking potential targets in the region to set up a route, so let loose :) (or PM)