Trackables in virtuals

Gill & Tony

Looking at a some of the TB's "placed" there, some are 'parked' there by their owner (keeping them out of their inventory?). At least one was marked missing and changed to a "virtual TB" - whatever that is... Others look like they are part of a collection (the Jeep TB's), maybe the holders don't want to admit (online) that they have them?

I'm moving this thread from the Geocaching Topics forum to the Travel Bug forum.

In passing, a bit of history:

Back in 2002-2003, "virtual travel bugs" that traveled the world were a big issue in the game. At that time there was a leaderboard on Geocaching.com for the travel bugs that had accumulated the most mileage; this was one cause of the problem and the leaderboard was discontinued. The problem was persistent, so in 2003 a change was made so that travel bugs could no longer visit locationless, webcam or virtual caches. There was a protest lodged in the Forums for that policy to be reversed with respect to virtual caches. Jeremy agreed, but said that webcams and locationless would remain off limits to travel bugs.

Some of the reasons were stated in the opening post of that thread, and were found to be persuasive.

I'm moving this thread from the Geocaching Topics forum to the Travel Bug forum.

In passing, a bit of history:

Back in 2002-2003, "virtual travel bugs" that traveled the world were a big issue in the game. At that time there was a leaderboard on Geocaching.com for the travel bugs that had accumulated the most mileage; this was one cause of the problem and the leaderboard was discontinued. The problem was persistent, so in 2003 a change was made so that travel bugs could no longer visit locationless, webcam or virtual caches. There was a protest lodged in the Forums for that policy to be reversed with respect to virtual caches. Jeremy agreed, but said that webcams and locationless would remain off limits to travel bugs.

Some of the reasons were stated in the opening post of that thread, and were found to be persuasive.

1130 trackables have visited my webcam cache. So, maybe they can not be dropped off, but they can visit.

One of our coins is sitting in a virtual cache, Barney Smith's Toilet Seat Museum, but it's attached to one of the toilet seats. There may not be a physical geocache there, but there is a secure physical location where my coin waits to be discovered.

I never did stop by this Santa Fe virtual, but apparently it hosts TBs on a regular basis.

Those are the exceptions, though, and not the rule. I don't see any valid reason why the Welcome to Las Vegas sign should have any TBs in the inventory. (I read the above and know how they ended up there, but that's not a valid reason to have them in the inventory, it's a reason to mark them missing.)

Just speaking for myself, I have dropped and picked up trackables using virtual caches. I've actually just exchanged the trackables with other geocachers by hand, but we decided to use the virtual caches as exchange medium instead of just grab them from each other. Simply because we can, it's allowed and is fun. Of course the trackables never were in the virtual cache to begin with. Now if the receiver in such an exchange forgets to pick up the trackable from the virtual cache, they will remain there. That could be one explanation why you might see trackables in virtual caches.

Edited by NLBokkie