Frustration

looseyoga

I went to an event today hosted by a regular geocacher, well attended, very well organised. I felt like a sore thumb. I fully appreciated the work, and so on, that goes into hosting an event, but I wish there was some sort of recognition of those of us who feel outsiders at these things. I don't want to get deeply into caching but there are elements that I like: I like finding out about places. I quite like the search, though it's way too technology dependent for me to really enjoy it, since this seems to make it more about what you have technology-wise than what your skill level is. I wanted to log trackables at the event, but I couldn't. I entered the code, the trackable came up, but then it asked what I wanted to do and it just said, log trackable. So I entered the code and it said invalid code. It was the same code. Everyone was so focused on what they were doing that I didn't feel I could ask. I'd already asked and asked. I left. Any advice (apart from not attempting to join a group that makes me feel this uncomfortable)?

I went to an event today hosted by a regular geocacher, well attended, very well organised. I felt like a sore thumb. I fully appreciated the work, and so on, that goes into hosting an event, but I wish there was some sort of recognition of those of us who feel outsiders at these things. I don't want to get deeply into caching but there are elements that I like: I like finding out about places. I quite like the search, though it's way too technology dependent for me to really enjoy it, since this seems to make it more about what you have technology-wise than what your skill level is. I wanted to log trackables at the event, but I couldn't. I entered the code, the trackable came up, but then it asked what I wanted to do and it just said, log trackable. So I entered the code and it said invalid code. It was the same code. Everyone was so focused on what they were doing that I didn't feel I could ask. I'd already asked and asked. I left. Any advice (apart from not attempting to join a group that makes me feel this uncomfortable)?

If you have a phone that takes great macro shots (many do), take a picture of the tracking number (maybe with part of the TB attachment in view as a reminder), and another picture of the whole thing with attachment (but not showing the tracking number) to post with the eventual log. Do that as quickly as possible for each TB that you might log, but don't do any actual logging til you get home to your PC. It could take forever to get all the logs correct, right there at the event, when allegedly, you're there to interact with people. You can ask in the Forum later, or better yet, contact Groundspeak, since it's bad to publicly try to puzzle-out the tracking number. Most often the problem is that numbers and letters look alike, but there are many other possibilities why a TB is tough to log.

And that's part of the problem at Events. The person who goes to collect tracking numbers in the pile of TBs is looked at by all as a weirdo. "Nobody else is doing that... why does that person log those things?". Nevermind that many cachers aren't experts at logging TBs. I log as many as I can (and it often requires some detective work later, as mentioned) because that may be the only time that the TB Owner knows the TB is in fact still in play. Even the only decent photo of it. So go for it, but remember that it's less time to mingle, and everyone else is wondering if you're just plain anti-social. B)

Bear in mind that people go to Events to chat with people they know, and although it's great for everyone to go ensure everyone else is comfortable and having fun, it's also polite to let someone sit apart if they wish. So maybe there's a balance. You may not even want to get to know half those guys :ph34r:. But introduce yourself, find a chair and go sit next to some friendly-looking people. Ask who is who, and get an idea of who is at the Event.

If I'm at an Event with a bunch of people I don't know, what I usually do is bring my dragon TB personal item with me as a conversation piece, and then I just be handsome and amazing and the life of the party as always. So do that. :P

Edited by kunarion

I wanted to log trackables at the event, but I couldn't. I entered the code, the trackable came up, but then it asked what I wanted to do and it just said, log trackable. So I entered the code and it said invalid code.

The log would be Discover if you left the trackables at the Event.

How are you trying to log? On a phone -which, and what app- or on a computer?

And, watch out for letter/number mistakes, eg 0/O 1/I etc

Edited by Bear and Ragged

I just write down the tracking codes if there are heaps, pay special attention to writing neatly, or you will struggle with 2's and Z's, 1's and 7's and other combos..... When we bring our trackable to events, I write out the codes in a list beforehand, so people can just look through the trackables, then take a photo of the list....

When it comes to mingling, I'm pretty bad at it myself, just join in conversations, introduce yourself, ask people there geocaching name and chat. It gets easier. Geocachers, in my experience, are a friendly lot.

I write out the codes in a list beforehand, so people can just look through the trackables, then take a photo of the list....

In the OP's case, there's no list. I've been handed a list before, with the assurance that I don't even have to open the bag of TBs, here's the list. And a bunch of the tracking numbers could not be logged, and I can't know for sure what the problem was, since I didn't take a picture of the tracking number. But it's a suitable practice for most cachers. OK, sure, more time to mingle. :anibad:

One TB had a missing info tag and a worn-out number. So a friend arrived with it at an Event, with its new, carefully created copper tag and the TB's reference number stamped on it. No way to miss that securely attached number, all stamped nice and clear. Oh, did I mention it was the reference number? Yeah, not the tracking number. So when I got home, I was able to make a note log that I discovered it. I hope people don't mind, but for reasons too numerous to mention, my exact policy is to a nice macro shot of the actual tracking number of the TB or coin for my personal reference (and other photos of the TB with no number in view, for posting), the number illuminated at whatever angle is needed, and I no longer accept reasonable facsimiles.

Edited by kunarion

If you have a phone that takes great macro shots (many do), take a picture of the tracking number (maybe with part of the TB attachment in view as a reminder), and another picture of the whole thing with attachment (but not showing the tracking number) to post with the eventual log. Do that as quickly as possible for each TB that you might log, but don't do any actual logging til you get home to your PC.

Since the OP indicated that she doesn't care for the technology dependency aspects of geocaching, a piece of paper and a pen or pencil works just fine for capturing trackable codes at events. As someone else said, using a "Discover" log when you're not actually taking the TB is the way to go.

Since the OP indicated that she doesn't care for the technology dependency aspects of geocaching, a piece of paper and a pen or pencil works just fine for capturing trackable codes at events. As someone else said, using a "Discover" log when you're not actually taking the TB is the way to go.

Ok, but write fast. The priority, if interested in not being left out of the festivities, is to introduce yourself to the attendees.

Edited by kunarion

Well, people chat with people they know. I'm a very bashful dolpin. (Maybe even anti-social.) I claim that I get lost in groups more than three. My late partner was far more outgoing.

For a long time, I felt left out at events. People chat with perople they know. After twelve years of geocaching, I seem to have developed a reputation. "Oh, that's the evil dolphin!." And I've devolped a number of friends who invite me to sit with them and chat at events. So, yes, being a bashful geocacher, events can be very tough. Good luck.

Ok, but write fast. The priority, if interested in not being left out of the festivities, is to introduce yourself to the attendees.

It would probably take less time just to write down the tracking numbers, then key in each one and log it while at the event.

When I went to GS HQ there were about a dozen other geocachers there. There were 3-4 of them next to the cache writing down TB codes. I signed the log book and mingled with the other geocachers, had a chat with Moun10bike and never met the geocachers that were busy writing down TB codes.

Specific to Travel Bugs, if you have an iPhone you can check out the free TBScan app at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tbscan-geocaching-app/id1122054655?mt=8 that might provide some high level assistance with TBs. Happy New Year!

Someone was playing with that at a Mega Event last year. Pretty cool! I was skeptical that the App could read otherwise unreadable tracking numbers, scratched-up tags or whatever. And have you seen how teeny some coin numbers are? Or etched around the edge? But the App evidently does try to find a matching number, so that's a benefit. It helps the OP get back into the group sooner. [The OP was about how working on Trackables seems to alienate one from the group of people visiting at an Event, or especially how it's hard to get people to open up. It's not necessarily about which Apps are good].

I don't know if it helps the OP. "Discover" logs usually work fine, but there are exceptions. One reason besides symbol confusion where it could be tough to log is, it hasn't been activated yet. Sometimes a log requires contacting someone else first, and sometimes you just need to wait a couple of days for logs to catch up. If there's an App that helps people unscramble the logging process, that's cool!

Edited by kunarion

Well, people chat with people they know. I'm a very bashful dolpin. (Maybe even anti-social.) I claim that I get lost in groups more than three. My late partner was far more outgoing.

For a long time, I felt left out at events. People chat with perople they know. After twelve years of geocaching, I seem to have developed a reputation. "Oh, that's the evil dolphin!." And I've devolped a number of friends who invite me to sit with them and chat at events. So, yes, being a bashful geocacher, events can be very tough. Good luck.

I've seen this at our local geocaching events. Someone new sitting off by themselves as the regulars chatted away. This isn't an excuse but for the most part, i don't thing those regulars are meaning to purposely do this. They get to talking and having fun with old friends which sometimes drags out for an entire event. Myself, i always make it a point to visit with people i haven't met before because it's one of the things that makes geocaching events more fun for me.

On travelbugs, i don't even try to log them with my phone. I may take a picture with it but my main way of recording the number is to just write it down. I then wait to get home where i can log it using my desktop keyboard on geocaching.com.

Well, people chat with people they know. I'm a very bashful dolpin.

I've seen this at our local geocaching events. Someone new sitting off by themselves as the regulars chatted away. This isn't an excuse but for the most part, i don't thing those regulars are meaning to purposely do this. They get to talking and having fun with old friends which sometimes drags out for an entire event. Myself, i always make it a point to visit with people i haven't met before because it's one of the things that makes geocaching events more fun for me.

Where I live, most Events don't have contingency plans, and are often held in some local restaurant. Recently, everyone was spread out at various tables, and non-cachers arrived. Soon, everycacher moved to the big table... all but some new cachers who felt left out and left. There's a point where the Event is too big for a room, but the situation is fluid, and at times it may become impossible to find and include everybody. Don't take it too seriously. Find Events that seem sized as you prefer (huge crowd, or a couple of friends, or somewhere in between). If you're there and the entire time taking pictures of TBs to post Discover logs and stories, and you actually make those logs, I don't know about anyone else there, but I'm impressed. :anicute:

On travelbugs, i don't even try to log them with my phone. I may take a picture with it but my main way of recording the number is to just write it down. I then wait to get home where i can log it using my desktop keyboard on geocaching.com.

Awesome! I post a photo because the TO may not even know that the attachment has been changed to a McToy, or the Geocoin is now a tape-covered photocopy. Plus, the TO has been reading hundreds of nothing but robotic logs of "took it to X" for the past five years, and I'd like to give the guy a break. :ph34r:

One thing to be careful about at the Event is, someone holds this hot potato of a bagful of TBs, and will suggest that you take a whole bunch with you. Don't do that. Maybe take one, and see how it goes, or none, but not the whole bag of them. Half of the TBs will be a super pain to log, listed in caches or in someone's possession or who knows what. It's cool to rescue them from the limbo of that TB bag to genuinely return them to traveling in the game, but be prepared for real work if you try it.

Edited by kunarion
Where I live, most Events don't have contingency plans, and are often held in some local restaurant. Recently, everyone was spread out at various tables, and non-cachers arrived. Soon, everycacher moved to the big table... all but some new cachers who felt left out and left. There's a point where the Event is too big for a room, but the situation is fluid, and at times it may become impossible to find and include everybody. Don't take it too seriously. Find Events that seem sized as you prefer (huge crowd, or a couple of friends, or somewhere in between).

I enjoy events and used to try to attend every one that came along in our area. A monthly "eat and greet" was started a few years back and it didn't take long for me to realize these weren't to my liking. My thinking is that events are supposed to be social and that doesn't work out so well when we're tied down to a table. On top of that, it's usually loud in most restaurants which makes it difficult to talk with each other. There have been a few times when a room was reserved but for the most part, it's grab a table and hope that you're not seated too far away from other attendees. Needless to say, i rarely attend restaurant events.

Edited by Mudfrog

I hold events simply because I am shy and introverted in groups larger than say, two or three. I've made it a geocaching ambition to overcome some of these anxieties and events help me. When I do door prize drawings at my events it takes every shred of courage I can muster to get the job done.. and I force myself to get it done.

I don't care much for events or group caching myself. B) Normally, I take a picture of the tracking number and log them later from my PC.

Geocaching is something I do alone. :)

I'm rather similar. I prefer doing this on my own - and spontaneously. Or, plan a walk and get out there and do my thing. Each to their own, I guess! :anicute:

Don't worry about how it SHOULD work - just find your own flow and enjoy it. I like to go geocaching on my own, or with my husband - not really as a group. On occasion, I may take a couple of friends along. But for me, it's about getting out and about and exploring.