Benchmark find

Enders_game

I am new to the benchmark locating world and im getting started because i found one at my work. But using the resourses ive found i still cant locate benchmark on the the datasheet using the zip code. Anybhelp is appreciated. The benchmark just says No.2 and is in zip code 29449.

Enders game,

The are quite a few experts on this forum that will gladly give you as much help as possible - including mathematical calculations to locate reference marks. That might be what you have with, I take it, a field stamped No. 2.

To help us out please include every bit of information that you have - no secrecy on this side of the playing field. Describe any cast lettering on the disk (is it a metal disk?), did you take a GPSr reading, how about a photograph?

There are many, many markers out there that are not in this Geocache game database, but most will be of at least 'Gee Whiz' interest to somebody here. Please do a little homework and read the pinned items at the top of this forum page.

Welcome to the party, kayakbird

I wanted to add a photo but not sure how. The disk is on a concrete wi dowsill of an old abandoned post office along the wadmalaw river in sc. I have photos of the disk and post office.

I found this listing:

Station ID: 8666217 PUBLICATION DATE: 08/11/2003

Name: YOUNGES ISLAND, WADMALAW RIVER

SOUTH CAROLINA

NOAA Chart: 11522 Latitude: 32° 41.7' N

USGS Quad: WADMALAW RIVER Longitude: 80° 13.4' W

T I D A L B E N C H M A R K S

BENCH MARK STAMPING: NO 2

DESIGNATION: 866 6217 TIDAL 2

MONUMENTATION: Tidal Station disk VM#: 4284

AGENCY: US Coast and Geodetic Survey (USC&GS) PID:

SETTING CLASSIFICATION: Window sill

The bench mark is a disk set flush in the left side window sill of Yonges Island

Post Office, 5.00 m (16.4 ft) NW of flag pole, 3.20 m (10.5 ft) east of the west

corner of the post office, and 2.44 m (8.0 ft) west of the centerline of the

front door of the post office.

On this page:

LINK

I want to second kayakbird's welcome. Let us know if this is the control you found (please post picture)

Best,

Mike

I see Enders_Game joined GC.com AND posted to this Forum on Dec 30, 2016. He has no Finds. I would guess he did a web search for bench marks, saw this forum and joined. He probably doesn't have a GPS or know what geocaching is about.

SO...

Enders_Game - Go to www.geocaching.com/play/search. Sign in using your name and password. Put the zip code in where it says "City,state,coordinates,code... and hit search. a list of geocaches will pop up. Click on any of them. scroll down on the page, on the left side of the page will be "Search for nearest benchmark." Click on it. A list of all benchmarks within 15 miles will show up. They are listed by distance from the search point. If you see a smiley face by one of them, it means a geocacher has found it. The benchmark list is from year 2000. Since then, some of these benchmarks have been destroyed due to construction. New benchmarks have been placed that are not on this list. I believe the one you found was listed as placed in 2003, so it won't be on this list.

If you do not have a GPS, there are still many that you can find by reading the description at the bottom of the page. Some are water towers (elevated tank), radio towers, church steeples, and other structures.

If you have a smart phone, you can download a geocaching app that will help you with GPS coordinates.

I will leave it up to others to tell how to search the NGS Database for newer benchmarks.

P.S. I own and love the entire book series.

Edit for proper grammar.

Edited by 8Nuts MotherGoose