Quick question for those who cache with a GPS

Gill & Tony

If you cache with a GPS, how many logs per cache do you load into the GPS?

I'm loading 10 logs into my Montana and I've been very pleased with that limit.

Hans

NB: News from the macro front:

Going on a cruise?

VCE-DBV-ADB-JTR-KAT-VCE.jpg

Get the Port's Caches:

da47277f4b8a896bcf7ebd618c6e92be.png

760f7201cd5598012a3c2d5b37f22f8e.png

Have Fun and a Happy New Year

Edited by HHL

If you cache with a GPS, how many logs per cache do you load into the GPS?

I'm loading 10 logs into my Montana and I've been very pleased with that limit.

Hans

NB: News from the macro front:

Going on a cruise?

VCE-DBV-ADB-JTR-KAT-VCE.jpg

Get the Port's Caches:

da47277f4b8a896bcf7ebd618c6e92be.png

760f7201cd5598012a3c2d5b37f22f8e.png

Have Fun and a Happy New Year

That looks impressive, Hans. Shame I've just finished the cruise and won't be doing one for at least a year. I'll definitely remember it when I do though.

Edited by Gill & Tony

Here's why I asked.

I went to a cache today, too many people around to search, so I looked at the hint in case I could make a quick grab. The hint read "See my previous log". I had 12 logs per cache and the CO'S log wasn't among them.

Back at the hotel I checked and the Co's log was dated July and was 38 logs down the list.

Am I overreacting to think this is wrong?

If you want to give a hint, do so. If not, that's also fine. But make it fair for everyone. Only smartphone cachers will have all previous logs available.

Here's why I asked.

I went to a cache today, too many people around to search, so I looked at the hint in case I could make a quick grab. The hint read "See my previous log". I had 12 logs per cache and the CO'S log wasn't among them.

Back at the hotel I checked and the Co's log was dated July and was 38 logs down the list.

If you want to give a hint, do so. If not, that's also fine. But make it fair for everyone. Only smartphone cachers will have all previous logs available.

Pretty poor form as a hint. I use GSAK and onlly get 5 logs so that would be useless for me.

It really depends on which DB I'm using (from GSAK). My local area I have pretty much all the logs since the cache was published (and some of the older caches have quite a number). I generally 'refresh' newer-visited areas, so have at least 30 logs. Using GGZ format on the Garmin 64s I always load everything I have - so at least 30 logs get loaded.

Here's why I asked.

That's one of the most stupid and useless "hints" I've ever read. :mad:

I hope that cache owner is plagued by useless, moronic hints when he/she is out in the field and needs a bit of help.

I use a 60csx...no log reading in the field for me. I read a lot of the previous logs before deciding whether to hunt a cache or not.

B.

The GPX file loads 5; I didn't know I could load more--is that a GSAK thing? If I ever really want to see more, I have my phone to access the website.

Not GSAK, but I load from my own database, which accumulates logs from the regualr PQs I run, so I could load more than 10 if I want.

And I agree with others that's a terrible way to post a hint :(

I load 30 logs (from GSAK)+images but have a tablet with GDAK with me that hold all unfound caches + all logs for Belgium in one database and all founds + my logs + notes with all found/needed info in a separate database.

I case I need more info than the GPS has I just take a look with GDAK.

The GPX file loads 5; I didn't know I could load more--is that a GSAK thing? If I ever really want to see more, I have my phone to access the website.

Not GSAK, but I load from my own database, which accumulates logs from the regualr PQs I run, so I could load more than 10 if I want.

And I agree with others that's a terrible way to post a hint :(

I had one where the hint referred to a spoiler pic the CO had placed in a WN on publication. Useless to me with a GPSr and iffy for those with a phone in an outback area with v poor signal. In 4 years this cache has had 18 finds and 6 DNFs (D3). It's a nano on and old, derelict double decker bus.