Fascination

Team Microdot

Most of my caches are Premium Member Only.

One of my Earthcache pages gets a visit every single day from a particular cacher and I find it kind of odd.

Has anyone here ever been compelled to visit someone else's cache page every single day or had someone visiting theirs every single day?

Anyone think why someone would want to visit the same cache page day after day after day?

Anyone think why someone would want to visit the same cache page day after day after day?

A few months ago, I was frequently visiting an unfound "Mystery" cache page. The Cache Owner was at times changing text, hints, etc., and some of that seemed to provide some clues about the puzzle. At least it was additional info to mull over. If I wanted to visit every day, I'd make it my start page when I click the "Geocaching" bookmark. The answer to your fascination may be as simple as, that's someone's web browser Bookmark. I bookmark the "Old Search" results for an updated list of local caches, since that's useful to me, but someone else may simply want to start at any cache page.

I don't expect most Earthcaches to change all that much each day. But bear in mind that some people may enjoy particular caches, and check the pages from time to time. Not everyone discards a cache after finding it. The place, the page, the logs, some people enjoy returning to a special one. So do I.

Edited by kunarion

Has anyone here ever been compelled to visit someone else's cache page every single day or had someone visiting theirs every single day?

I have revisited a few cache pages every few days for a while, looking for subsequent logs after mine. Might be a very cool cache that I enjoy reading other's experiences, or a difficult cache and looking to see if others had the same troubles. It could be something just as benign in your case. Or it could be he buried a dead body 3 feet from your cache and he's checking daily to be assured that it has not yet been discovered. laughing.gif It is kinda strange if it goes on for a long time, though.

Your visitor might not know how or not bother to set up a Watchlist.

One of my Earthcache pages gets a visit every single day from a particular cacher and I find it kind of odd.

On the other hand, seems a bit odd that the CO would revisit the audit log every day to check if a particular cacher revisits the page every day. :ph34r:

On the other hand, seems a bit odd that the CO would revisit the audit log every day to check if a particular cacher revisits the page every day. :ph34r:

I knew at least one person would voice such an opinion when I originated the thread.

The identity of said individual does not surprise me :ph34r:

Thanks for the valuable insight.

I knew at least one person would voice such an opinion when I originated the thread.

Well, if you're going to call someone a "cache stalker" (right up there in the thread subtitle), you have to at least acknowledge your own apparent "fascination"...a "cache-stalker stalker," as it were.

Well, if you're going to call someone a "cache stalker" (right up there in the thread subtitle), you have to at least acknowledge your own apparent "fascination"...a "cache-stalker stalker," as it were.

Who says? :huh:

I would guess that you and your stalker have form. You have probably called him out on a few caching matters and he has done the same to you. You probably have wound him up on a few matters and he has probably wound you up shortly afterwards. Your Earthcache probably includes something that he might be able to wind you up about and because you know this you realise you could wind him up by coming on the Geocaching forum and "outing" him to wind him up. It really is a sad state of affairs that most UK cachers are aware of but eventually you are either going to make love or kill each other. I hope it's the former.

I would guess that you and your stalker have form. You have probably called him out on a few caching matters and he has done the same to you. You probably have wound him up on a few matters and he has probably wound you up shortly afterwards. Your Earthcache probably includes something that he might be able to wind you up about and because you know this you realise you could wind him up by coming on the Geocaching forum and "outing" him to wind him up. It really is a sad state of affairs that most UK cachers are aware of but eventually you are either going to make love or kill each other. I hope it's the former.

Wrong on all counts :lol:

Is the other person local?

When I'm in the period before I go travelling, I will often find a cache near where I will be staying, and then sort of use that as an anchor to look at other caches in the area.

For example, one day I will open that cache up and then go to the large map and check out the area to the south of it. The next day, I may pull up that same cache and then look at caches to the east. The next day to the north. Or if I'm building a booklist of the caches in the area, I may open it to the first cache on that list and do the same. Not that I plan to do it each day, but check things out in my spare time.

Wrong on all counts :lol:

Although I am now slightly curious about the story as it seems quite specific - is there any more to it?

When I'm in the period before I go travelling, I will often find a cache near where I will be staying, and then sort of use that as an anchor to look at other caches in the area.

For example, one day I will open that cache up and then go to the large map and check out the area to the south of it. The next day, I may pull up that same cache and then look at caches to the east. The next day to the north. Or if I'm building a booklist of the caches in the area, I may open it to the first cache on that list and do the same. Not that I plan to do it each day, but check things out in my spare time.

The person is not local - they are from a different country.

That is a good theory though - they might be planning a visit and working out which caches to do within a specific radius. Good thinking B)

Ive got one cache that has been visited by a local cacher 997 times (just looked) I have visited it 54 times, which I thought was a lot. It does contain instructions to a fairly neat card trick that can be used to amaze or more likely annoy your friends. So, I suspect he either is using it as a bookmark to get on the site, or really really really likes the card trick and can't remember it. Which coincidently, is the reason for most of my revisits to my own cache page.

The person is not local - they are from a different country.

That is a good theory though - they might be planning a visit and working out which caches to do within a specific radius. Good thinking B)

I have a cache page (Mingo) as a bookmark on my browser "bookmarks bar". Whenever someone posts a GC code for a cache that I might want to look at I hit the Mingo bookmark, then cut-n-paste the GC code for the cache listing I want to see. I have found it to be easier that using coord.info or searching for the GC code.

Over in the All Nations forum there are a few people that have added "flag counters" to their profile page. Whenever someone from another country visits your profile page it'll add the flag for that country (if it's not already there). Awhile back I speculated that if one wanted to add more country flags, one way to do that would be to search for PMO caches in a country, then hit the listing a bunch of times. The CO of that cache may be curious why someone is visiting their page so often and click on the link for the profile for that user, which would add the COs country flag to the list. I tried it myself for a few countries and it didn't seem to make any difference.

Could also be something like C:geo, which effectively visits the cache page to scrape the data so would show up in the audit. I don't know the guts of C:geo but perhaps if that cache is on the map when fired up, it will go and refresh the cache details automatically by visiting the cache page....

I did wonder if there was some scraping going on.

Could also be something like C:geo, which effectively visits the cache page to scrape the data so would show up in the audit. I don't know the guts of C:geo but perhaps if that cache is on the map when fired up, it will go and refresh the cache details automatically by visiting the cache page....

That sounds like the most plausible explanation. That app would make an http request to the cache page to get cache details for the app. The request would be logged by the server as if it were coming from a browser (and the app spoofs the request headers to make it appear that it is).

Ive got one cache that has been visited by a local cacher 997 times (just looked) I have visited it 54 times, which I thought was a lot. It does contain instructions to a fairly neat card trick that can be used to amaze or more likely annoy your friends. So, I suspect he either is using it as a bookmark to get on the site, or really really really likes the card trick and can't remember it. Which coincidently, is the reason for most of my revisits to my own cache page.

If you see me in your access log, ignore it - I'm going over to look for your card trick. Thanks.

I have a cache page (Mingo) as a bookmark on my browser "bookmarks bar". Whenever someone posts a GC code for a cache that I might want to look at I hit the Mingo bookmark, then cut-n-paste the GC code for the cache listing I want to see. I have found it to be easier that using coord.info or searching for the GC code.
Whenever I want to look up something in the Help Center, I open a new tab and type "kb", and then select the first page the browser offers. So I generate a lot of traffic to that one page, even though I'm usually interested in something else.

Why would you make an Earthcache PMO? I make most of my caches PMO, but never Earthcaches. There's no container to lose, but there is an education to be gained. Why restrict it?

Why would you make an Earthcache PMO? I make most of my caches PMO, but never Earthcaches. There's no container to lose, but there is an education to be gained. Why restrict it?

It's a good question.

One reason is that it weeds out app users who don't understand what an Earthcache is and saves hassle further down the line.

It's a good question.

One reason is that it weeds out app users who don't understand what an Earthcache is and saves hassle further down the line.

So, you are willing to teach geocachers about geology, but not about how to log an earthcache? I find that pretty ironic.

Maybe the point Microdot's making is that by the time cachers are learning about geology, the CO's "teaching" is already done. Once, by setting up the cache.

I took it to mean that the phrase "saves hassle further down the line" refers to teaching a series of "app users who don't understand what an Earthcache is", what an Earthcache is, each for the first time, and possibly p.o.'d about having a log deleted.

--------------------

Lots of people put out upper-rated or PMO caches (or both) just because they don't want to work on the beginner level.

So, you are willing to teach geocachers about geology, but not about how to log an earthcache? I find that pretty ironic.

Maybe the point Microdot's making is that by the time cachers are learning about geology, the CO's "teaching" is already done. Once, by setting up the cache.

I took it to mean that the phrase "saves hassle further down the line" refers to teaching a series of "app users who don't understand what an Earthcache is", what an Earthcache is, each for the first time, and possibly p.o.'d about having a log deleted.

TeamRabbitRun very astutely hits the nail pretty much on the head here.

I still don't understand what hzoi's claim of irony is based on or how he supposes what I'm willing to do and what I'm not willing to do.

In those instances where a newbie has logged a find on one of my EC's in error and appears to believe in error / through sheer ignorance that showing up at the location is equivalent to a find, I have taken the time to contact them and offer an explanation of how Earthcaches work. So far I've heard back from precisely none of them.

I still don't understand what hzoi's claim of irony is based on or how he supposes what I'm willing to do and what I'm not willing to do.

In those instances where a newbie has logged a find on one of my EC's in error and appears to believe in error / through sheer ignorance that showing up at the location is equivalent to a find, I have taken the time to contact them and offer an explanation of how Earthcaches work. So far I've heard back from precisely none of them.

Why would you feel the need to explain? Delete and move on.

You appear paranoid about stalkers enough to stalk your own cache audit log and willing to put in extra unnecessary effort after setting up a PMO cache in order to help you avoid extra unnecessary effort. Of course, you'll make a point of criticizing me for even bringing these things up...

You appear paranoid about stalkers enough to stalk your own cache audit log and willing to put in extra unnecessary effort after setting up a PMO cache in order to help you avoid extra unnecessary effort. Of course, you'll make a point of criticizing me for even bringing these things up...

You must have some pretty powerful evidence to demonstrate that the driving force behind anyone looking at the audit log on one of their caches must be paranoia - can you tell us more about that?

Then maybe you could engage in a little sub-discussion with hzoi with regard to my choice to help, or not, someone who has logged one of my Earthcaches without actually understanding how Earthcaches work and then let me know whether I should or shouldn't - so I can do the right thing in future <_<

It's pretty simple to explain what an earthcache is. All 25 of mine to date have this language up front:

There is no physical cache container to find; to log this earthcache, you will need to email or message us the answers to the questions below. The questions are repeated in the unencrypted hint for your convenience.

I mean, it's not in red, bold, all caps, but it seems to work overall. Of the many earthcache finds I see, I get maybe one or two cachers a year who still don't get it, so I clue them in and either get answers out of them or delete their logs. It hardly warrants PMO status to save this "hassle," in my opinion.

However much it may fly against the spirit of the earthcache program, there's no rule against having PMO earthcaches, so carry on with the original topic, don't mind me.

It's pretty simple to explain what an earthcache is. All 25 of mine to date have this language up front:

There is no physical cache container to find; to log this earthcache, you will need to email or message us the answers to the questions below. The questions are repeated in the unencrypted hint for your convenience.

I mean, it's not in red, bold, all caps, but it seems to work overall. Of the many earthcache finds I see, I get maybe one or two cachers a year who still don't get it, so I clue them in and either get answers out of them or delete their logs. It hardly warrants PMO status to save this "hassle," in my opinion.

I'm guessing you've done your homework and had a look at one of my Earthcache pages B)

I don't consider whether or not PMO status is warranted, I just use it for the results I hope it will provide i.e. I don't have to disappoint newbie cachers by deleting their logs.

However much it may fly against the spirit of the earthcache program, there's no rule against having PMO earthcaches, so carry on with the original topic, don't mind me.

In what way do you think PMO flies against the spirit of the Earthcache program?

Although a simple explanation about earthcaches might be helpful, it may be more useful to explain to a newbie that for any cache other than a traditional, it's almost always necessary to read the cache listing in it's entirety.

In what way do you think PMO flies against the spirit of the Earthcache program?

Because they are intended to be educational, and they're not intended to just be for geocachers.

Don't take my word for it; here's an old post from Neos2, one of the earthache forum moderators, that might enlighten you.

Many people who use Earthcaches aren't geocachers. We have to remember that the earthcaches don't "just" belong to geocachers.

For example, there are teachers who use earthcaches for many subject areas--geology, geography, history, etc. The GSA provides lesson plans with listing of all earthcaches just for that purpose.

Or Manville Possum puts it nicely as well.

I would not make any EC PMO, they are educational caches. I have learned more about earth science through geocaching for earthcaches than I did in school. We are all not educated equally, and EC's are not easy to develop and get approved for everyone. I just think that it is bad that some educated and intelligent geocacher that can develop a great EarthCache, one that people would go out of their way to visit just for the "WoW" factor alone, make the cache PMO just because they can to keep a basic member that may not be able to afford the PM membership fee. I really like the audit log also, I wish that there were a way to keep it, and get rid of the PMO feature on EC's.

If you have any doubt that you're limiting access, I note that your most visited earthcache currently has 48 finds, yet this unrestricted earthcache 0.3 miles away has over twice as many finds, even though it was published two months later. Furthermore, none of the earthcaches you placed in 2016 have more than 20 finds, even though several are in urban areas. As a cache owner, I'd consider that a failure, but your mileage may vary.

Although a simple explanation about earthcaches might be helpful, it may be more useful to explain to a newbie that for any cache other than a traditional, it's almost always necessary to read the cache listing in it's entirety.

And for the one or two a year who don't read the cache listing, I'm happy to explain that to them.

If you have any doubt that you're limiting access, I note that your most visited earthcache currently has 48 finds, yet this unrestricted earthcache 0.3 miles away has over twice as many finds, even though it was published two months later. Furthermore, none of the earthcaches you placed in 2016 have more than 20 finds, even though several are in urban areas. As a cache owner, I'd consider that a failure, but your mileage may vary.

I'm failing miserably to see the logic in the argument or to see what this has to do with the orignal question but...

What made me chuckle was the fact that you've presumably chosen that other Earthcache as an example of one that fits with the indeterminable spirit of Earthcaching and what it's all about...

Despite knowing that the item which is the focus of the Earthcache is actually made of concrete, the CO continues to allow people to believe that they are being shown an example of marble - which clearly they are not :laughing:

You must have some pretty powerful evidence to demonstrate that the driving force behind anyone looking at the audit log on one of their caches must be paranoia - can you tell us more about that?

I'd say the very existence of this thread is evidence enough.

Sounds quite a bit like at least mild paranoia to me.

I'd say the very existence of this thread is evidence enough.

Sounds quite a bit like at least mild paranoia to me.

That doesn't really fit the definition of paranoia. Actually, it sounds like a pretty reasonable thing to wonder about.

I very frequently revisit previous cache pages from multiple owners, but only to read new cachers' experiences with them. I don't make new notes or anything, just enjoy reading others' perspectives on certain caches.

I do that too - at least for caches on my watch list which are typically caches I have particularly enjoyed - mostly clever puzzles :)

The odd time I get a chance to go out now, it's either for a very-long multi, or a group of caches a bit further than 50' from the road.

I read all of the cache page before attempting.

When new caches come out, I'll check and see if they're close to another I'm interested in, and while there, go back to that cache in case anything's changed.

- That could mean sometimes looking at that cache page a few times a week.

Caused issues for me, mostly COs wondering "what I was up too", but some not so nice.

Today (if I ever did a pmo hide again) I'd use one of the couple ways to bypass that audit. :)

c:geo does not refresh cache listings when the map is fired up. You must tell it to load the details, just like when you're on the GC website and don't "view" all caches by just looking at the map.

So that's not it, at least for that app.