Why does main filter not include attributes?

Darwould

I went to do a quick look to find winter friendly caches and the filter on the main geocaching page now does not offer any place to filter by attributes... (Nor does it offer to go to the old search) Someone comments elsewhere on the forum that one can do a pocket query to filter for attributes... but this feature should be on the main search.

The link to the old search page went away when the "Give the Gift of Premium Membership" banner showed up on the search page. It was discussed in this topic.

You can still access the old search page here: https://www.geocaching.com/seek

Searching by attributes can only be done with Pocket Queries. Neither the old or new Search pages allow for filtering by attributes. I've read similar requests in other threads and think it would be a great feature. Of course, it would also require quite a bit of rearrangement of the search screen, since there are a lot of attributes that would have to be included.

Good luck with your winter caching!

Can we just bring back the old search function? There was nothing wrong with it.

I got on this morning to search for a cache to hike to (imagine that) and found out that i cant without using my personal query. I dont mind using that -- but you are limited to the numbers of queries you can do in a day. This is NOT helpful

JUST BRING BACK THE OLD SEARCH PAGE == SO MUCH BETTER

[...]

JUST BRING BACK THE OLD SEARCH PAGE == SO MUCH BETTER

The old search didn't give you a selection on filtering for attributes. And it lacks a lot of things the NewSearch will do. Having that said: your statement is pretty wrong.

Hans

Edited by HHL
I got on this morning to search for a cache to hike to (imagine that) and found out that i cant without using my personal query. I dont mind using that -- but you are limited to the numbers of queries you can do in a day. This is NOT helpful

Yes, you're limited in the number of queries. BUT if you're just using your computer, you can set up the query and NOT run it, but only preview it. Voila, a list of caches. Then you just have to get 'em to your device. ;)

I went to do a quick look to find winter friendly caches and the filter on the main geocaching page now does not offer any place to filter by attributes... (Nor does it offer to go to the old search) Someone comments elsewhere on the forum that one can do a pocket query to filter for attributes... but this feature should be on the main search.

Agreed. I had the same issue lately. Being able to browse through the caches by attribute would be helpful to me, too. I don't want to run a pocket query because I want to select the caches I want to load onto my GPS individually off the map, not all of them.

Agreed. I had the same issue lately. Being able to browse through the caches by attribute would be helpful to me, too. I don't want to run a pocket query because I want to select the caches I want to load onto my GPS individually off the map, not all of them.

I'm not arguing against being able to search by attribute, but I often set up pocket queries for no reason other than to preview them on the map.

Create a PQ with the attributes you want. Do NOT select a date for it to run. Preview it to make sure your terms are returning what you really want. Save it.

Go back to your main PQ page. To the left of the PQ name, you'll see an Icon to Preview in map.

Click that.

Now, from the map, you can select individually. The bubble text that pops up on selection will allow you to "send to gps" or you can "bookmark". I generally bookmark (you'll need list to be already created) and then PQ from the bookmark.

Create a PQ with the attributes you want. Do NOT select a date for it to run. Preview it to make sure your terms are returning what you really want. Save it.

Go back to your main PQ page. To the left of the PQ name, you'll see an Icon to Preview in map.

Click that.

Even easier, on the PQ preview page there's a link called "map this location", so you can just click on that instead of going back to the main PQ page. It says "map this location", but it actually maps the PQ.