Background Data Usage - Why?

jadefalcon

?!

Is "Trails" a new map we haven't seen on www.geocaching.com/map ?

The "Trails" maptype on mobile corresponds to the "Geocaching" maptype on the web. They're provided by our own servers instead of going through a third party service

Why call identical maptypes by two different names? Would that not be confusing for a new user transitioning between mobile and web devices?

Random somewhat unrelated thought:

I downloaded the most recent version of the Geocaching App just for fun. Why is there no open-source topographic map? Many outdoor enthusiasts (like myself) rely on accurate topographic maps to navigate pretty much any outdoor terrain off the sidewalk. The Google Maps Terrain layer seems useless because the contour lines disappear at a certain zoom level. Even the OpenCycleMap (while not my favourite OpenStreetMap layer) would be much better than what there is currently.

Why call identical maptypes by two different names?
"I'll tell you!... I don't know. But it's a tradition... and because of our traditions... Every one of us knows who he is and what Groundspeak expects him to do."

Would that not be confusing for a new user transitioning between mobile and web devices?
Yeah, but it's just one of the examples where Groundspeak's free app uses different terminology from the web site and from every other app. And the discrepancies have been pointed out, so at this point, I think it's intentional.