2017 geocaching goals

hzoi

1-Since 2013 our goal (really only my goal since I do the most of our geocaching) is to find at least 366 caches per year/1 per day average. Sometimes it can be about the numbers.

2-A goal this year is to find a cache in as many Idaho counties as possible (not so much about the numbers but coloring the counties red (at least that's the color used at www.mygeocachingprofile.com)

3)Find more caches in November and December.

4)Complete more of the local/regional challenges.

Not overly exciting goals and all goals are subject to change depending on mood, time, circumstances, all the above or something else.

Edited by brodiebunch

My only goal is to have fun, and do more 'quality' caches. And to NOT look at my numbers.

While I don't try to compete on numbers in any way, over the past few years I've been finding caches at a certain rate. I found myself looking at my year to year, month to month numbers.. and when my finds were down, I would feel I had to go get numbers.

I don't want to have that feeling. I want to go get great caches. If that means spending a full day to do one really good cache, that's great.

Of course I can't totally ignore my find count, it shows up everywhere. But by not looking at my monthly/yearly stats regularly I feel better.

So this year, I expect to spend at least as much time caching, walk at least as much caching, have more fun caching, but find less caches than last year.

My only goal is to have fun, and do more 'quality' caches. And to NOT look at my numbers.

Same here, except I DO look at the numbers but only as a "report" on what we've done and certainly not as a goal.

I don't want to have that feeling. I want to go get great caches. If that means spending a full day to do one really good cache, that's great.

So this year, I expect to spend at least as much time caching, walk at least as much caching, have more fun caching, but find less caches than last year.

Again, same here. We go for the ones we WANT to to and leave what "uninteresting" ones. We don't care if we don't pick up a traditional while doing a longer multi even if we just walk by it if it's just for a +1.

The only "numbers goal" we have is to decrease our traditional percentage (currently @62%) but there still are some very interesting series around with original, unique containers we will do.

Same here, except I DO look at the numbers but only as a "report" on what we've done and certainly not as a goal.

That will be the next stage. I'm nearly there. I found that looking at my per month numbers compared to last year would bring back those "must find numbers" feelings. So I had to force myself not to look at them. Sounds silly, but that's me. But once I'm really comfortable with lower numbers, I'll be able to look at my numbers just for interest, see they are lower than last year, and smile.

I don't have specific goals for this year, though I'd like to knock off the Golden State Delorme Challenge and whatever California County challenge there is (I'm sure there's one somewhere, just haven't bothered to look it up.)

Other than that it would be good to pick up a couple of fizzy squares as I only have 5 left. Mostly I just like to wander and caches are the little bit of spice that goes along with it.

I don't have specific goals for this year, though I'd like to knock off the Golden State Delorme Challenge and whatever California County challenge there is (I'm sure there's one somewhere, just haven't bothered to look it up.)

When I lived in California there were two Delorme map books, one for Northern and one for Southern California. I completely wore out the first copy of the Northern California Delorme Gazetteer I had and replaced it with a new one. I started to collect the Delorme Gazetteer books for different states as I visited them and have 6 or 7 of them now. I've never completed (or tried to) a Delorme geocaching challenge though.

Mine is to take my daughters out caching as often as possible. They love looking for 'treasure' and it's great to get them outside doing something we all enjoy. I'll have to get them both an account as well so they can start logging them!

Great idea for a thread by the way ;-) I feel jealous reading where everyone is from and all the travelling they're going to do!

When I lived in California there were two Delorme map books, one for Northern and one for Southern California. I completely wore out the first copy of the Northern California Delorme Gazetteer I had and replaced it with a new one. I started to collect the Delorme Gazetteer books for different states as I visited them and have 6 or 7 of them now. I've never completed (or tried to) a Delorme geocaching challenge though.

I have the North and South ones from back when I lived in Michigan and had no idea I'd ever move out here. Prophetic?

There are challenges for the Northern and Southern books as well as the grand unified book (Golden State Challenge)

When I look to challenges these (and original fizzy) come to mind, not some of the obtuse or highly difficult for the sake of highly difficult ones some people put together (which led to more rules, which took away the terrific (new) USGS Quad challenges)

Looks like I have to adjust my goals. 2 new countries won't happen. Our holiday plans include 1 new country (still a new continent) and most Westerly cache.  Once again, even though only 130Km away, GC40 will have to wait another year as will new country Luxembourg (about 2 hour drive).

For this year I'm now below 50% traditionals for 2017 and that brings my overall traditional percentage closer to 60% (just 0.44% to go to get below 60%).

Not sure if my next milestone will be a unique location on holiday as was 2000/3000/6000 and 7000 or "just" a special cache.

• Upvote 1
On 12/28/2016 at 10:50 AM, hzoi said:

It seems every year I forget about the previous year's list of goals or resolutions until someone bumps the last one. So my first goal is not to forget about starting this topic so I can return to it next December!

I may or may not get to all of these in 2017, but I'll put 'em in writing and see where I stand next year.

1. Finish and log the Virginia virtual, county, and city challenges

2. Get closer to completing the various Delorme and county challenges for Maryland and Delaware

3. Log at least one new US state and one new country

4. Return to Iceland, find our 8000th cache there, and leave with over 100 total Icelandic finds

5. Publish a Wherigo cache and host a CITO

6. Finally qualify for the Jasmer with a May 2000 find

1.  Will qualify for the city and county ones by this weekend.  The new virtuals have only added one new cache to find, which is actually just down the road from me, but haven't gotten others that are 200 miles out yet.

2.  Much closer on this.  Only two more MD counties and nine Delorme pages to go.  Should finish it up next spring.

3.  Sort of.  USVI isn't a state, but it's a new US flag.  And BVI isn't a country, but it's a new foreign flag.

4.  Nope, but we did do this in BVI after our plans changed.

5.  No Wherigo, but we did host a CITO in April.

6.  Not yet; none are close and none are any place I want to spend the fall/winter months.  Maybe the next duty station will make this more feasible.

Edited by hzoi
  • Upvote 1

I've been caching for years, but I really didn't get into it until early this year. However, I still want to have goals, so......

1. Find my 250th cache by New Years Eve.

2. Get my 10th State. (I drive back and forth between Indiana and Texas a few times a year. So that's why I have most of my states even though I have only found 200 caches.)

3. Achieve Greatness {Insert Superman GIF here}

4. Place better caches. Out of the 12 I currently have at the time of this post, 3 of them are at least somewhat clever. So from now on I will ONLY place good caches.

That's about it. But I will try to go the GeoWoodstock in May of 2018.

• Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, TwistedCube said:

2. Get my 10th State. (I drive back and forth between Indiana and Texas a few times a year. So that's why I have most of my states even though I have only found 200 caches.)

Depending on your start and end points, just altering your route a little would take care of that without adding too many hours to the trip.  Diverting over to St. Louis and then taking I-44 and I-35 would give you Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, and (with another slight side trip) Kansas.  Or going down through Montgomery on I-65 would get you Alabama, Florida (with another slight diversion off the interstate) and Mississippi.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, hzoi said:

Depending on your start and end points, just altering your route a little would take care of that without adding too many hours to the trip.  Diverting over to St. Louis and then taking I-44 and I-35 would give you Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, and (with another slight side trip) Kansas.  Or going down through Montgomery on I-65 would get you Alabama, Florida (with another slight diversion off the interstate) and Mississippi.

Hmm. Maybe I'll try that! I can also go through the edge of IL and MO. I have been that way before but didn't get any caches.

Edited by TwistedCube

I finally met my goal in 2017!  It was also my goal for 2016, 2015, etc., and I'm not sure when I originally set the goal or later declared it on one of these threads, but I knew it would take years, maybe the rest of my life.

I got my terrain average up to 2.5.

Whew.  There are a lot of mountains in that number.  To balance out every 1.5 (of which I did lots in my early years), you need a 3.5.  Those aren't usually quickies.  I got there by only PQing for T3+, and even though I've met the goal, I'm still focussing on the high terrain ones.  I enjoy them, and they keep me young.

• Upvote 3
5 hours ago, on4bam said:

Looks like I have to adjust my goals. 2 new countries won't happen. Our holiday plans include 1 new country (still a new continent) and most Westerly cache.  Once again, even though only 130Km away, GC40 will have to wait another year as will new country Luxembourg (about 2 hour drive).

For this year I'm now below 50% traditionals for 2017 and that brings my overall traditional percentage closer to 60% (just 0.44% to go to get below 60%).

Not sure if my next milestone will be a unique location on holiday as was 2000/3000/6000 and 7000 or "just" a special cache.

I got new countries a little over a week ago (Sweden and Finland) which brings me to 13 countries in Europe in which I've found a cache (and I don't live in Europe).  I also found caches in two new German Bundeslander (up to 4 now).   I should be able to add a new U.S. state this weekend (Kansas).

I hit 1000 finds in 2010 and my never reach 2000 (I broke 1300 this year) so I haven't set any milestones in the past 7 years.

I'd like to add 3 new countries next year to bring me up to 30 countries in which I've found a cache.  There's a very good chance I'll be traveling to Kenya in January with the possibility of including a couple of days in Uganda and a layover a country in which I haven't visited (a 7 hour layover in London is a viable itinerary).  If that trip doesn't happen though I might not get any new countries next year.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Viajero Perdido said:

I finally met my goal in 2017!  It was also my goal for 2016, 2015, etc., and I'm not sure when I originally set the goal or later declared it on one of these threads, but I knew it would take years, maybe the rest of my life.

I got my terrain average up to 2.5.

Whew.  There are a lot of mountains in that number.  To balance out every 1.5 (of which I did lots in my early years), you need a 3.5.  Those aren't usually quickies.  I got there by only PQing for T3+, and even though I've met the goal, I'm still focussing on the high terrain ones.  I enjoy them, and they keep me young.

Props for this.  The goal takes a tremendous amount of discipline over a prolonged timeframe, if one has a high find count with lots of T1's and T1.5's.  I am going after higher rated caches the past few years but the needle has only risen by a small notch or two.

• Upvote 4

Yes, congrats on getting to T 2.5

I set a goal of getting my average T rating above 2. Because there are many T 5 paddle caches around, most of them within my distance limit, this was doable. To move up from 2 to 2.5 would be a lot more effort.  

Currently my 2017 goal,  which will almost certainly stretch well into winter 2018, is to visit all of my own caches. I expect considerable flood loss from hurricane Irma. Most  areas are still too wet to access, some are still closed per land management.

• Upvote 2
On 12/28/2016 at 5:48 PM, geocat_ said:

- Possibly start on getting all the remaining counties in Ohio (my home state) completed

- Try to complete double Jasmer

- Surpass 2000 favorite points on my caches

I'd love to get one in Hawaii and complete all 50 states but that's not likely this coming year.

I forgot about this thread/post.  Happy to report that I completed all three of my goals (but Hawaii will have to wait:P)  In fact, I completed all the Ohio counties!  Anyone else meet their goals?

Edited by geocat_
On 12/29/2016 at 4:04 PM, Justin Of Terrytown said:

Find more Geocaches than what I found in 2016.

Attend more events.

I am going on a cruise (Carnival Triumph: April 24 out of New Orleans). On the cruise, I am stopping twice in Mexico (Cozumel and Progressive) so one of my goals is to do some Geocaching in Mexico.

How did you do in Mexico? I’m headed to Puerto Vallarta and am wondering about how I’ll be able to use my iPhone to search for caches without using data roaming. 

7 hours ago, EL K3VINO said:

How did you do in Mexico? I’m headed to Puerto Vallarta and am wondering about how I’ll be able to use my iPhone to search for caches without using data roaming. 

Although it is a subject for another thread, in another part of the forums, I have cached in other countries and in areas where there is no cell reception without a problem.   Data roaming should not be an issue although you may have to do advance planning or have wifi access where you are staying so that you can download the cache information or maps. 

I use a third third party app and the specific answers will vary depending on what you use with the iPhone, but again that is a subject best addressed in a separate thread in another section of the forums. 

-- --- --

More on topic:  I completed my goal for virtuals and made progress with earthcaches.    Looking forward to next year with more time for travel that should take us to new countries and states (at least new for the purposes of this game).   Ultimately exploring new areas, kayaking, and finding some semisecret petroglyphs are the only real goals for any year.    2017 was a good year for that.   2018 may be better.  And it's fun when those things can be combined with this game. 

Edited by geodarts
12 hours ago, Tumbleweedeb said:

I have been away for several years, so I am reentering with goals of not being scared off by Mystery caches, wanting to see new places back here on the Mainland (adding states around my homeland), do this Fizzy and Jasmer stuff, and hopefully raise my geobabies well :)

Reminds me of a song...

"Mamas' don't let your babies grow up to be muggles"

I think that's how it goes.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:59 PM, EL K3VINO said:

My Geocaching App did not worked when I was on my cruise in 2016.  So for my cruise in April 2017, I downloaded a bunch of Geocaching on to my GPS (etrek 20x) and used that.  When I found a Geocache, I would text message my mom that "I found (insert Geocache's name here)".  When I got back onto the cruise ship, I went through my text messages and while on the cruise ship's computer and marked which ones I found.  

Saw the posts from geocat and Ambrosia, so ... closer to year-end, a shattered coccyx that won't heal kinda ended my quest for 5T's this Spring/Summer.  Knees n ribs healed well, so just happy I'm walking.   :)

Want to attempt a 4.5 tree to drop off a trackable that was looking for adventure (that's what I get for not reading missions before pick-up...) as a "this'll have to do" sometime this week, and with enough meloxicam and lidocaine patch I'll probably make that...     :laughing:

20 hours ago, Justin Of Terrytown said:

My Geocaching App did not worked when I was on my cruise in 2016.  So for my cruise in April 2017, I downloaded a bunch of Geocaching on to my GPS (etrek 20x) and used that.  When I found a Geocache, I would text message my mom that "I found (insert Geocache's name here)".  When I got back onto the cruise ship, I went through my text messages and while on the cruise ship's computer and marked which ones I found.  

I use an Etrex 20x. I'm not sure why you need to send a text to record your find. Why not use "Recent Finds" on your Etrex? Also when you log your "Found" on your Etrex you can then use "Add Comment" to record the details of your find.

13 hours ago, colleda said:
On 11/11/2017 at 8:23 PM, Justin Of Terrytown said:

I use an Etrex 20x. I'm not sure why you need to send a text to record your find. Why not use "Recent Finds" on your Etrex? Also when you log your "Found" on your Etrex you can then use "Add Comment" to record the details of your find.

I have found that a small notepad and a pen works just fine for keeping track of finds (and DNFS, NM notes) until I can get to a computer to post online logs. 

• Upvote 1
On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:58 PM, colleda said:

The Etrek 20x was only a few months old at the time so I was still getting the hang at it.  

On 12/28/2016 at 10:50 AM, hzoi said:

It seems every year I forget about the previous year's list of goals or resolutions until someone bumps the last one. So my first goal is not to forget about starting this topic so I can return to it next December!

I may or may not get to all of these in 2017, but I'll put 'em in writing and see where I stand next year.

1. Finish and log the Virginia virtual, county, and city challenges

2. Get closer to completing the various Delorme and county challenges for Maryland and Delaware

3. Log at least one new US state and one new country

4. Return to Iceland, find our 8000th cache there, and leave with over 100 total Icelandic finds

5. Publish a Wherigo cache and host a CITO

6. Finally qualify for the Jasmer with a May 2000 find

1.  Almost, done, and done.  I signed the Virginia virtual challenge but have four left to log -- I hope to get two of them next week on our way back from Christmas vacation.

2.  Only have the tail of Maryland left.  I should finish this in the spring.

3.  Sort of?  We found caches in US Virgin Islands and British Virgin Islands, which qualify for a US territory and a foreign territory.

4.  Didn't get to Iceland, but we did get our 8000th find in Tortola, British Virgin Islands.

5.  Hosted a CITO.  DId not get around to a Wherigo.

6.  Nope.  And I don't think we're getting there in 2018 either.

On 2/18/2017 at 3:41 PM, noncentric said:

MAPS -- New geographic areas might be tough, since we've already cached in most of the places that we travel to. Not sure if we'll be going anywhere new this year:

-- Add 10 WA DeLorme pages (38 thru 2016) -- DONE, added 14 pages

-- Add 5 US counties (68 thru 2016) -- ALMOST, added 4 counties

-- Add 1 US state (6 thru 2016) -- NOPE, no roadtrip this year, so added no states. Tough to get to new states from here.

GRIDS -- I don't usually look at dates/ratings when deciding what caches to attempt, but doing so might be a good way to select 'destination caches' when I have trouble choosing a place to go to cache:

-- Fill 5 more 2000/2001 cells in Jasmer grid (10 thru 2016) -- NOPE, only filled 1 cell

-- Fill 30 more cells in Find Date grid (301 thru 2016) -- DONE, filled 33 cells

-- Complete Fizzy grid (needed 16 thru 2016) -- NOPE, still need 14 cells

-- Complete Hidden Date grid (needed 6 thru 2016) -- DONE

NUMBERS:

-- At least 1000 finds -- DONE

-- At least 3 hides -- DONE

Edited by noncentric