No more City Navigator on DVD?

Team_LPD

My CN on my 60CSx is a few years old and I was planning on buying a 2016 version or waiting for the 2017 version on DVD to come out, however I've learned that Garmin discontinued the DVD versions.

I like the DVD version because I can put it on my computer and use it to plan trips, etc. It was then very easy to transfer the route over to the GPS. Plus I was able to keep Topo on my GPS because everything was stored on the same microSD card.

Now, if I'm forced to by the microSD version of CN, I'll have to also but the microSD version of Topo and be forced to switch out cards whenever I go off-road.

In addition to your points, without the DVD option in City Navigator there is no way to add a lifetime update subscription to a purchased map. This is a bummer for people who bought a Montana or Monterra with the automotive mount and want to use it as a crossover for both handheld and automotive navigation.

you can still install the downloaded version to your computer for planning, or just use it with your GPS plugged in (not as ideal, I know, but it works). You don't have to buy any maps on SD if you do direct download, and then install them on your own larger SD card. They'll still be locked to your specific device.

If you're really concerned, though, why not use the free Open Street Maps (garmin.openstreetmap.nl) for routable mapping, and the plethora of free topo maps for a topo map (www.gpsfiledepot.com)?

I think you can choose regions to load. I know I can when updating CN on my Nuvi.

Before you buy, double check that it will work. The 60csx is not listed under the list of compatible devices on Garmin's website (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/28765#devices). I don't know if it's because Garmin assumes nobody is using these anymore, or if the maps have features that the older GPS units don't read.

Keep in mind that the Topo 24k series are also routable, and can be used for road as well as trail navigation. Topo northeast covers your area, but is actually more expensive ($100) than CN NA ($80) or CN Lower 48 ($60). Since these get locked to your device, and your device is rather old, I personally would hesitate to spend that much on it, instead favoring the free mapping alternatives.

Note the downloaded CN map cannot be installed to your PC nor can you selectively install regions. It's a single .img file designed to be installed to your device. If you want to view it on your PC you'll need to plug your device in or take other steps so that BaseCamp can view it.

Yup, just got an email from Garmin that said the maps are not compatible. Like I said, that really stinks. A perfectly good GPS (60CSx) with no support from Garmin.

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will be happy to assist you with your mapping inquiry today.

You are correct, the GPSMAP 60CSx is not compatible with the current mapping we offer. The process and requirements for both the downloadable and pre-programmed maps has changed recently and is too much for these older devices to handle.

You can still purchase the previous version pre-programmed microSD cards and DVDs from other retailers to use with this device. If you do so, you will need to ensure the City Navigator version is prior to that update, which was released in 2015.

Most retailers will have this information readily available, but you can always check with them before a purchase if not.

I wish I had better news. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thank you for choosing Garmin"

like I said, OpenStreetMap (http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl) will provide you with up to date routable maps for free.

That said, aside from new roads, terrain doesn't change that much over geologically short periods of time, so the topo maps you have are still useable for hiking and geocaching. You seem attached to your device, and while there are many reasons to upgrade (paperless caching for example), maybe consider getting an automotive unit to use in your car. Any that end in LMT come with lifetime map updates. Else consider offline navigation apps for your smartphone if you don't want to buy an automotive GPS for those times when you drive out of data service.

The point is, there are options to work with, many of which may be better than trying to drive while navigating with a 60csx.

Edited by Mineral2

I'm attached to my 60CSx because it's a perfectly good, functioning GPS. Yes, the newer ones have more bells & whistles, but the 60CSx suited my needs perfectly. I don't need a dedicated car GPS, although somewhere down the line I may end up getting one. I liked being able to load a route on my 60CSx in order to get from Point A to Point B without getting lost, but then still be able to grab it and go geocaching. I particularly liked being able to plan my own routes, since I did not always want to go the direct route. I was very happy with an "all-in-one" GPS.

It just seems like there were several issues with the 64 series. Maybe some more reading will clear up things. Like you mentioned, I could just buy a car GPS and continue to use the 60CSx for geocaching and hunting.

I just purchased a lightly used Nuvi with Lifetime Maps from a popular auction site for $35 shipped. Why anyone would purchase the Lifetime Maps for a handheld ($89) and use it for auto navigation anymore is beyond me. Even the one-time update maps are more expensive. Just look on internet auction sites and pick up a nice Nuvi "LM" model and enjoy the 5, 6, or 7 inch screen in your car.

I'm attached to my 60CSx because it's a perfectly good, functioning GPS. Yes, the newer ones have more bells & whistles, but the 60CSx suited my needs perfectly. I don't need a dedicated car GPS, although somewhere down the line I may end up getting one. I liked being able to load a route on my 60CSx in order to get from Point A to Point B without getting lost, but then still be able to grab it and go geocaching. I particularly liked being able to plan my own routes, since I did not always want to go the direct route. I was very happy with an "all-in-one" GPS.

This I understand, which is why I keep suggesting the free mapping alternatives to keep your GPS maps up to date.

The advantage of an automotive GPS is the larger screen for viewing it while driving. All of the newer automotive models allow you to plan custom routes with multiple intermediate waypoints, but you're right, it's often easier to whip up a route in Basecamp and run it in a handheld.

... I could just buy a car GPS and continue to use the 60CSx for geocaching and hunting.

That's what we've done since we started. :)

But you can't load geocaches on the car GPS, can you? That's why I love the 60CSx. I could be following my route or just driving around and spot nearby caches that I might want to grab.

... I could just buy a car GPS and continue to use the 60CSx for geocaching and hunting.

But you can't load geocaches on the car GPS, can you? That's why I love the 60CSx. I could be following my route or just driving around and spot nearby caches that I might want to grab.

If you have GSAK and a Garmin automotive GPS, you can use a GSAK macro to load the geocaches as Custom POI's. The Custom POI's will have complete information including D/T, description and logs. You can even set proximity alerts to let you know when you are within a set distance from a cache. Of course this is still not the same as havng a true geocaching compatible handheld, but it does give you complete info on geocaches on your automotive GPS..

Edited by alandb

Yep, you can. I do that when we go on road trips--load them to both my $90 nuvi with lifetime maps, and my $200 Oregon 450 that does not have lifetime maps and can't even buy lifetime maps for. Makes it very easy to get close to the cache by road w/o having constantly keep checking the handheld. Why Garmin doesn't allow lifetime maps for handhelds in a mystery to me.

Yep, you can. I do that when we go on road trips--load them to both my $90 nuvi with lifetime maps, and my $200 Oregon 450 that does not have lifetime maps and can't even buy lifetime maps for. Makes it very easy to get close to the cache by road w/o having constantly keep checking the handheld. Why Garmin doesn't allow lifetime maps for handhelds in a mystery to me.

I asked them about it. It's a licensing restriction imposed on the mapping data supplier (Navteq I think) and not their own doing. I think we're all hoping that with Garmin's acquisition of DeLorme, they can start producing maps completely in house which means they could offer cold lifetime update subscriptions for any device.

I asked them about it. It's a licensing restriction imposed on the mapping data supplier (Navteq I think) and not their own doing. I think we're all hoping that with Garmin's acquisition of DeLorme, they can start producing maps completely in house which means they could offer cold lifetime update subscriptions for any device.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that one. I think DeLorme mapping products will soon be a thing of the past (if they aren't already). 2015 was the last published version of Street Atlas USA.

My plan has long been to have separate hardware for driving and hunting. The value of lifetime maps, a big screen, spoken turn-by-turns, and not having to fiddle with navigation modes when entering and leaving the car is worth it. The 60CSx is a nearly eleven year old device that was a respin of the 60CS that was two years before that. Tech products just don't get upgrades forever. I use the free OSM data in my handhelds because the features are good enough to get into and back out of hte woods.

If Delorme had one viable product to make them worth buying, it was the Inreach line. Replacing Mapsource with SA's city and nav data would be hugely regressive. Street Atlas had been treading water for years. The PN-20/40/60 fizzled.

My plan has long been to have separate hardware for driving and hunting. The value of lifetime maps, a big screen, spoken turn-by-turns, and not having to fiddle with navigation modes when entering and leaving the car is worth it.

This is why I love the Oregon 600/700 series. The Nuvi dashboard makes it great for driving with, and I've programmed the user key to switch me from driving mode to geocaching mode with just one tap. Unfortunately the screen is a tad small to keep it as my primary driving device, so I do use a nuvi in the car. But when on vacation when I'm renting a car, I no longer need to bring the nuvi and risk scratching up the screen and I can live with the Oregon as my all-in-one device for a week or so.

The Montana has a slightly larger screen and nuvi mode, but doesn't have that custom user key. I don't understand why Garmin didn't include the customized user key in the last Montana update.

I am looking into a dedicated system for mt car, probably the 60LMT. I just hate to give up on the 60CSx, because it works and has never given me a problem. Oh well, the big wheels of technology keep turning I guess. Hey, I still have my blue eTrex that I started with!!! ;)