Is Geocaching Dead?

With the push for numbers cachers pay no particular attention to where they place their hides.

To get to them its a miserable effort that I am sure will turn any newbie off after attempting to cache for a few.

Okay, maybe now I get your point. I'm guessing that is why the official app limits basic members to caches rated 1.5 D/T or less. :unsure:

As for the easy to find roadside caches, they are of no interest to me. I like an adventure where I have to park my ride and get my boots and hiking stick out. :D

The terrain/difficulty setting has no impact.

The series that I did were considered park and grabs on a dirt road with low difficukty/terrain ratings.

But having to deal with ditches, evergreens full of sap, bogs, bushes, stumps, fallen trees, etcs, it became a miserable experience.

Sometimes when I looked at the other side of the road saw a more suitable place to hide the cache. No ditches, no water, no bushwhacking, straight openness into the woods.

I have no problems with roadside caches or any other kind of caches. I can live with poor containers too. My peeve has become their poor placement.

Maybe you should just stick to parking lot LPC's? Myself, I have seen too many caches just tossed out on a roadside, and that is not my idea of geocaching. I'm tired and dirty after a day of geocaching. :D

If Groundspeak sees any customer feedback "please keep X" as a complaint, so they get rid of X so people can't complain, I don't think that is a good way to run a business.

Not what I meant.

Take webcam caches as an example - I think someone hinted they too might be for the chop but when I think of webcam caches nowadays the first thing that comes to mind is fake logging of dead webcam caches and the background angst that goes with it.

That isn't what geocaching is about, regardless of Groundspeak's involvement - so what's the point of perpetuating them?

I speculated about Webcams. Only as I can see the same arguments being used there. By 2017, 300 Webcam caches remained active. Because the number of complaints and disagreements over these few caches were disproportionate to their number........

I can see the logic in getting rid of all grandfathered caches. Either a cache type is a good idea (and "what geocaching is about"), so keep it and allow new ones, or get rid of it. But I don't think it is the right thing to do.

And yes, to some extent, "complaints and disagreements" can be "our own" fault. E.g. someone trying to fake find a WebCam.

Lots of people complain about power trails. dry.gif

If Groundspeak sees any customer feedback "please keep X" as a complaint, so they get rid of X so people can't complain, I don't think that is a good way to run a business.

Not what I meant.

Take webcam caches as an example - I think someone hinted they too might be for the chop but when I think of webcam caches nowadays the first thing that comes to mind is fake logging of dead webcam caches and the background angst that goes with it.

That isn't what geocaching is about, regardless of Groundspeak's involvement - so what's the point of perpetuating them?

I speculated about Webcams. Only as I can see the same arguments being used there. By 2017, 300 Webcam caches remained active. Because the number of complaints and disagreements over these few caches were disproportionate to their number........

I can see the logic in getting rid of all grandfathered caches. Either a cache type is a good idea (and "what geocaching is about"), so keep it and allow new ones, or get rid of it. But I don't think it is the right thing to do.

And yes, to some extent, "complaints and disagreements" can be "our own" fault. E.g. someone trying to fake find a WebCam.

Lots of people complain about power trails. dry.gif

But, very few people contact Groundspeak to complain that they can't log a find on them. Just about every power trail cache is findable because of the encouraged throwdown mentality. There's never any need for anyone to contact GS to complain that their power trail cache log was deleted.

A webcam, virtual, multi, or more challenging cache is a different animal. Entitled people make up all kinds of excuses for logging these caches and then complain when a dedicated cache owner calls them on it. GS, instead of ignoring these people, end up letting the complaining cause grief for people and caches. <_<

One more example. I love travel bugs. I have placed 350 out in the wild to follow them and I hope finders will enjoy them and pass them to the next cache.

There used to be a website called geotrib.es where I could follow all of my travel bugs that were running around. This website is gone. I haven't set out any travelbugs in the past 2 years anymore because the fun is gone. And there is no TB-innovation or website-improvement in sight to get back the fun in spreading travel bugs.

there is no TB-innovation

Desperately needed: an innovation to remove the pain of trying to follow up on a TB you once crossed paths with. Wading through pages of took-it-to, took-it-to, took-it-to is NO fun and has sucked the pleasure out of that little side-game.

Did I drop it off in Hong Kong on Page 24, or Page 60, aah I don't care anymore.

Desperately needed: an innovation to remove the pain of trying to follow up on a TB you once crossed paths with. Wading through pages of took-it-to, took-it-to, took-it-to is NO fun and has sucked the pleasure out of that little side-game.

Did I drop it off in Hong Kong on Page 24, or Page 60, aah I don't care anymore.

+1

+1

+1 I've always wondered why the trackable pages are not the same like the cache pages: showing a smiley and the date when you found it (and where in the case of trackables) in the upper right corner. That would make things so much easier for a start.

I've always wondered why the trackable pages are not the same like the cache pages: showing a smiley and the date when you found it (and where in the case of trackables) in the upper right corner. That would make things so much easier for a start.

The latest log you left on the trackable is displayed in the upper right corner now. It was added a couple weeks ago.

I've always wondered why the trackable pages are not the same like the cache pages: showing a smiley and the date when you found it (and where in the case of trackables) in the upper right corner. That would make things so much easier for a start.

The latest log you left on the trackable is displayed in the upper right corner now. It was added a couple weeks ago.

You're totally right, Thomfre! I had missed that.

Hadn't noticed that.

But... How do I see what happened next? That's the interesting part.

Back to the front, is it on page 24, or 30, how much patience do I have?

Heck, I don't half wonder why you didn't notice it. I didn't notice it, it appears to be a lighter weight font without even the benefit of an action icon of any kind to highlight it!

This is a major event in this trackable's life, from my perspective. I should be in bold and have some kinds of arrows (pick UP, DROP off), magnifying glass (discovrered) or envelope (note) to indicate what transpired on this auspicious date.

This is little better than an afterthought and so well hidden it's like someone was embarrassed to actually code that bit.

I've notice in the area where I live that when I've started Geocaching in 2015 allot of people where doing the same, I would find a Geocache and after my find probably 6 Geocachers were behind me. I've literally stop on 2006 but just came back a month ago. My discovery now is that most of the Geocachers that usually where there are not there anymore, then once I find a Geocache it takes for ever to someone else discover it. I've been a good sport by doing maintenance to most of them, and then log and message owner to check their cache, how ever I do more DNF then Finds now and eventually this caches are disable. I feel like that people has lost interest or they are to busy with their lives.

I've only have one hide it was posted 03/27/2016 and this one I did maintenance like a week ago but hasn't been touched since 10/22/2016 there you can see that people has slow down Geocaching. The same thing I see with other caches I've recently discover, they haven't been touch for a long time even a year or so.

I'm working on some cool Geocaches, not the typical, this one will be a Geocache that when you found it you will say "How Cool" but my fear is that they can be vandalize after all the work and love for the sport. So I'm very skeptical but I know there is room for me to try. Hopefully my Geocahes will be ok...

Keep on the fun! :laughing:

I've only have one hide it was posted 03/27/2016 and this one I did maintenance like a week ago but hasn't been touched since 10/22/2016 there you can see that people has slow down Geocaching. The same thing I see with other caches I've recently discover, they haven't been touch for a long time even a year or so.

We see this in many areas. Quick, easy, park and grabs mostly.

- Most times it's not a slowdown, but simply that the locals have all found it. :)

They now sit, awaiting new cachers and those passing through.

- Most times it's not a slowdown, but simply that the locals have all found it. :)

Your area may be different but i would bet money this isn't the case in a lot, if not most, areas. With the lack of general activity, low event attendance, sparse social media posts, and dismal FTF action around here, it's very evident there's a slowdown.

Your area may be different but i would bet money this isn't the case in a lot, if not most, areas. With the lack of general activity, low event attendance, sparse social media posts, and dismal FTF action around here, it's very evident there's a slowdown.

Simply using our own observations. We see this in many areas. :)

I am a Premium Member, but my options are becoming more limited for the type of caches I enjoy most. First, I limit the puzzle caches. Further, I favor the point Steve Jobs made "The journey is the reward" as well as another quote, "The journey is the destination." Thus, for me, the preferred is a Difficulty under 4.0 but a Terrain of at least 3.0.

To see what was now available for me within 30 miles of my home (South of Titusville, Florida) and also just 1,000 caches I came up with the following:

c22280de-1c46-4f6d-821a-2e19f6db317f.jpg

So, what this tells me is that my continued participation in the Geocaching site is becoming limited while on the Terracaching side I remain active. I have expressed my concern for all the area P&Gs to our reviewers, one of which wont' even talk to me anymore, but such placements continue. (Note: They do help the new-comer so there is value but, IMHO, the volume is out of control)

Anyway, my $.02, like it or not

I have expressed my concern for all the area P&Gs to our reviewers, one of which wont' even talk to me anymore, but such placements continue. (Note: They do help the new-comer so there is value but, IMHO, the volume is out of control)

If a 1/1 park and grab meets the listing guidelines, I'm obligated to publish it. If a 2/4 hike up a mountain doesn't meet the listing guidelines, I'm obligated to point out the issue so that the owner can fix it, and if it isn't fixed, it won't be published. Community Volunteer Reviewers have very little influence over what caches the community decides to hide and submit for review. We take them as they come to us.

If you believe there ought to be limits on caches you don't like, advocate for a change in the listing guidelines. When the guidelines empower me to refuse publication of caches in guardrails and lamp posts, even if hidden with express permission, I'll enforce that. In the meantime, there's not much I can do. If I received repeated complaints that I was publishing the "wrong" types of caches, I'd probably stop answering those emails, too.

I am sympathetic with your position Keystone and appreciate your reply but I would also suggest the reviewers should, and some do, offer input to Groundspeak wrt their area's placement balance - and imbalance.

FWIW, I do support the reviewer system both via GC as well as TC

I am sympathetic with your position Keystone and appreciate your reply but I would also suggest the reviewers should, and some do, offer input to Groundspeak wrt their area's placement balance - and imbalance.
What is Groundspeak going to do about the "placement imbalance"?

Groundspeak doesn't hide the caches. Individual geocachers hide the caches.

• Upvote 1

FWIW, I do support the reviewer system both via GC as well as TC

I support a reviewer system like we have here, but not a system where the reviewer is one of two sponsors like on TC. TC is deader than dead in my area, and I'm the only supporter of OCNA which I think is much better, but none compare to this site where geocaching is alive and well.

One more example. I love travel bugs. I have placed 350 out in the wild to follow them and I hope finders will enjoy them and pass them to the next cache.

There used to be a website called geotrib.es where I could follow all of my travel bugs that were running around. This website is gone. I haven't set out any travelbugs in the past 2 years anymore because the fun is gone. And there is no TB-innovation or website-improvement in sight to get back the fun in spreading travel bugs.

Twentse, I also get a kick out of sending out new travelbugs. I have seen some of ours go to Europe, Australia, Hawaii, etc. It is so fun to see how many miles some of this travelbugs are getting! But occasionally, one of them will just stop...no movement, and/or they are lost. I also would love to see an easy way of following my bugs. Sounds like the site you mentioned was wonderful! Hopefully someone will come up with a new way to watch our bugs on their travels!!

I am traveling to Iceland (from Wisconsin, USA) with my daughter in August. I am taking 5 travelbugs that I have recently retrieved, and also I am going to start a few new ones. I hope that someone who is responsible and understands travelbugs will pick them up and keep them moving.

Happy caching! And please start sending out TBs again! We LOVE to find them in caches!! :)

I am traveling to Iceland (from Wisconsin, USA) with my daughter in August. I am taking 5 travelbugs that I have recently retrieved, and also I am going to start a few new ones. I hope that someone who is responsible and understands travelbugs will pick them up and keep them moving.

Happy caching! And please start sending out TBs again! We LOVE to find them in caches!! :)

Iceland would be a good place to take travelbugs as it's become quite the tourist destination for travelers on both sides of the pond. You might to be clear about the goal in the listing for each of them, otherwise a tourist might pick one up in Iceland and bring it back to Michigan.

You could put it in a bag and/or attach a protected 'card' of sorts with the goal written on it. That's a common strategy to help ensure people know what it's to do before picking it up and dropping it halfway across the world when the destination was 50 miles away :P

You could put it in a bag and/or attach a protected 'card' of sorts with the goal written on it. That's a common strategy to help ensure people know what it's to do before picking it up and dropping it halfway across the world when the destination was 50 miles away :P

I put out a TB several years ago that was a small plastic piggy bank with a goal to collect foreign coins. After someone mentioned that it was getting full I changed the goal on the page to have it return home so that could pick it up and send it out again. Someone from the midwest picked it up and dropped it into a cache about 20 miles away from here. A couple of days later, someone else grabbed it and took it to Texas.

A card could be helpful *if* the goal of the TB never changes

I think geocaching is still very much alive - as it continues to create value for a lot of its participants. In fact, today I came back to the forums after a long while to thank all of those geocachers who supported me while I was writing a research project on the topic :)

I also wanted to share a short piece and two academic articles I published based on my research on geocaching - I hope you will find them interesting, and I would be really interested in hearing your thoughts on these.

Forget cash: geocaching shows there are other ways to create value online

Selling, Sharing, and Everything In Between: The Hybrid Economies of Collaborative Networks

The Systemic Creation of Value Through Circulation in Collaborative Consumer Networks

We might have different motivations, goals and preferences regarding geocaching, but there is no denying that a hobby, many businesses, and countless friendships, relationships, unforgettable experiences, and lifes of joy have been built here, because people were able to look past their differences and collaborate - and that in itself is something to be amazed at!

I put out a TB several years ago that was a small plastic piggy bank with a goal to collect foreign coins. After someone mentioned that it was getting full I changed the goal on the page to have it return home so that could pick it up and send it out again. Someone from the midwest picked it up and dropped it into a cache about 20 miles away from here. A couple of days later, someone else grabbed it and took it to Texas.

A card could be helpful *if* the goal of the TB never changes

dry.gif Well of course that's a given. If the online goal changes, the ink-written goal attached to the TB won't change to match.

I suppose I should add, since it's also a given and not mentioned, a written goal on a card can be lost, so if the goal isn't also online, no one will know what to do with it. But that's given, so I didn't mention that. There are probably oodles of other situations that could occur with a physical card.

But the point remains: A written goal attached to the TB can help ensure that people know what it's to do or where it's to go before picking it up and dropping it halfway across the world.

Edited by thebruce0

Life gets in the way.  Eventually when you find every cache in an area you have to travel to find em.  I also have mixed feelings about micros and power trails if the person has so many hides they can't possibly maintain em... 

Edited by sholomar
On 4/10/2017 at 7:57 AM, thebruce0 said:

I just did a 2800+km road trip in under 3 days for... 31 caches. All desired targets. I may have grabbed one or two extras in there in passing, but I could pass up the "numbers", quantity, for the few I wanted to get. Costly, but it's a choice I made for the fun and experience I wanted to have. If all those extra caches weren't there, it wouldn't have made a difference. We choose the fun we have.

That's cool. I'm planning on taking my road bike out for put a few hundred miles on it just to log 5 Virtual caches and three Earth caches next week. It should be fun. :)

9 hours ago, SeattleWayne said:

That's cool. I'm planning on taking my road bike out for put a few hundred miles on it just to log 5 Virtual caches and three Earth caches next week. It should be fun. :)

Oh that sounds like a great road trip; just you and the bike. Good on gas too :)

• Upvote 1
On 27.12.2016 at 2:19 AM, Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide said:

There's so little discussion on here nowadays that I have to wonder if Geocaching is soon to be a thing of the past.

I've been caching for a number of years, and remember the heady days where that's all I wanted to do in my spare time, but the last few years, finding caches has generally been a disappointment. Most of the time the caches are mouldy, smelly boxes of tat, the kind of stuff you'd normally throw away. And good luck finding a pencil, or a sharpener to fix that broken one you do find.

And don't get me started on travel bugs and that sort of thing. The number of tags and coins I put out and never saw or heard from again is really a huge letdown.

Now that people are more into games like Pokemon Go, perhaps Geocaching won't survive.

Am I wrong to feel this way?

I can't tell you how to feel, but if you want geocaching to survive, it doesn't help that veteran geocachers whine about how everything was better before. 

Geocaching develops as anything else - and if not, it would definatly die.

I startet geocaching under 2 months ago and think it's a great motivation to get out of the sofa. I walk or cycle, never use the car , simply to get in better shape.

Now I have found 220 caches and are really into it. I'm planing to put out some great new caches myself. Nice spots and creative boxes.

I was looking for some positive vibes in this forum, but it just makes me depressed.

My last visit here I'm afraid.

Regards

Tistone, Norway 

28 minutes ago, Tistone said:

I can't tell you how to feel, but if you want geocaching to survive, it doesn't help that veteran geocachers whine about how everything was better before. 

I startet geocaching under 2 months ago and think it's a great motivation to get out of the sofa. I walk or cycle, never use the car , simply to get in better shape.

Now I have found 220 caches and are really into it. I'm planing to put out some great new caches myself. Nice spots and creative boxes.

I was looking for some positive vibes in this forum, but it just makes me depressed.

Regards

Tistone, Norway 

Odd that a new member would express to  others playing for years that they shouldn't long for days when they felt caching was (to them) a great hobby...

If you read all eight pages, you'd notice there's many views, some a complete opposite of the OP.   

44 minutes ago, Tistone said:

Regards

Tistone, Norway 

Project-GC stats for Norway. First time I've seen green in a long time, but still a lot of red.

69ba2ead-5c28-418b-acb6-703db68e6b33.png

5 minutes ago, Manville Possum said:

Yep. And there are Woodbooger geocaching events this weekend and a new PT to be published in my neighborhood. B)

Fall is a great time of year for geocaching. :)

A new PT,,, WOOHOO! :rolleyes:

I'm an old timer but i've gotten past the whining stage. I play around here on the forums but i've pretty much given up on geocaching at this time. Who knows, i still hold out hope that someone might come along and place a creative/challenging/nice location cache one of these days. I know, farfetched idea but it could happen! B)

Wait a minute, did i just let out a little whine? <_<

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, Mudfrog said:

A new PT,,, WOOHOO! :rolleyes:

I'm an old timer but i've gotten past the whining stage. I play around here on the forums but i've pretty much given up on geocaching at this time. Who knows, i still hold out hope that someone might come along and place a creative/challenging/nice location cache one of these days. I know, farfetched idea but it could happen! B)

Wait a minute, did i just let out a little whine? <_<

Sounds like me. I've tried a few times since November to go caching locally but every time I pull up a cache there's something that tees me off about it: micro, micro listed as small, numbers run cache (not going to encourage PT and caches placed for numbers), wet log, broken container, abandoned, placed by an addicted hider (not going to encourage them), junk container (the CO finished using up a deodorant stick--Why throw it out? Makes a fun cache container. Nobody cares if the log is always wet, right?). 

I'm whining about the current conditions of this game. 

4 hours ago, arisoft said:

Reality check. How many good and interesting hides you have made for others to enjoy?

Years ago I did some detective work, and IIRC, they had over 60 caches at one time.  Lotta Favorites.

Last I heard, they received one of the new Virtuals as well.  :)

That one's  just a sock alternate account. 

5 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

I'm whining about the current conditions of this game.

Yesterday I completed a challenge cache requiring 24 finds rated D2/T4. It was published a year ago and at the time I had only 4 qualifying finds, so over the last twelve months I've had many a long adventure building up my tally. It's taken me to some great caches in amazing places and pushed me out of my comfort zone more than once, something I'll remember for many a long year, and the cache itself lived up to expectations with an excellent hike to a clifftop hide with breathtaking views. So is geocaching dead? No way!

7 hours ago, arisoft said:

Reality check. How many good and interesting hides you have made for others to enjoy?

Over 60 cache hides over more then a dozen years of geocaching. Currently 8 active caches. That's enough for now. I'm currently a little disheartened by the numbers game so have archived 5 this winter and don't plan to hide more until things change in my area from abandoned quantity to maintained quality. My partner understands and supports my decision since I make the caches.  A total of 96 favorite votes for the 8 active caches. 119 FPs for the archived (and picked up - we don't litter) caches. All containers have gaskets and we pay on average $5 per container. We have used ammo cans (not currently using one). We will never hide a micro cache. We mostly use authentic Lock & Locks - they are tried and true and last 3-5 years. We monitor our listings and do regular yearly (more often twice yearly) maintenance visits. Never a logsheet, always a log book. We include a pencil in all of our caches (although they often go missing, but we bring extras on maintenance visits). 

Some recent comments:

"The day always brightens when you find a x-x-x cache. Everything is in great shape. Thanks for all the extra effort you put into making delightful caches. Gets a favorite."

"Love the container...you get a fav for that and this excellent little hike down the trail"

"A cool container. Another nice x-x-x cache."

"I appreciate the attention to detail regarding the theme on both stages"

7 hours ago, L0ne.R said:
16 hours ago, arisoft said:

Over 60 cache hides over more then a dozen years of geocaching. Currently 8 active caches.

The current number is important here. When a new geocacher starts this hobby and there are 992 wet micro caches at parking lots etc. and only 8 good caches available at the same area, there is very high propability that the newcomer gets the wrong idea of the nature of the hobby and starts planting more wet micros caches to parking lots etc.

I started this game when no trails, not even small group of similar caches, were not allowed to be published by our local reviewer. This kind of ruling does not prevent making pointless caches but at least it limits greatly the number of them among others.

Anyway - your 52 archived good caches makes a great change to the diversity of available caches. We need some bad examples to be able to appreciate better implementations. On the other hand, if better implementations are no longer available, then only the poor ones will remain.

The problem is that the quality of hides is mostly mediocre. It's mostly quantity, no quality. 

If GC would adapt the principle of stackexchange that could change. Let the community vote on hides! If a cache is rated badly, it will get archieved automatically. If a user hides several badly reviewed caches, it will loose its right to hide any more. It works for stackexchange, why not here?

Another thing is that you can find everything online; every labcache code and a huge number of mystery final coordinates. I attribute this to the fact that most users don't have the desire to solve their 1000th mystery... Instead of spending hours in front of the PC, you look up the coordinates and get out.

1 hour ago, MCWS said:

The problem is that the quality of hides is mostly mediocre. It's mostly quantity, no quality. 

If GC would adapt the principle of stackexchange that could change. Let the community vote on hides! If a cache is rated badly, it will get archieved automatically. If a user hides several badly reviewed caches, it will loose its right to hide any more. It works for stackexchange, why not here?

Another thing is that you can find everything online; every labcache code and a huge number of mystery final coordinates. I attribute this to the fact that most users don't have the desire to solve their 1000th mystery... Instead of spending hours in front of the PC, you look up the coordinates and get out.

Unfortunately the majority of the community seem to love 35mm film canisters categorised as "regular" caches and thrown into a bush along a road every 200 metres or so, never to be checked on again by the cache owner.

Certainly that's the impression that I get from reading logs and looking at caches that get favourite points. Honestly, I've seen some absolute dross be favourited - literally rubbish with a scarp of paper in it thrown into a hedge.

• Upvote 1