Send to GPS button not working?

cterral

I am unable to load caches onto my Oregon450 using the "Send to GPS" button. I have always used this to load caches onto my device and now it doesn't seem to be working. I have updated the plug in and from the garmin site it detects my device. Any suggestions for how to load caches onto my device? I am leaving early tomorrow and won't have computer or internet access after tonight. Thanks for any quick help that anyone can give.

Any suggestions for how to load caches onto my device?

On a cache page, paid members can click the GPX File button. Save the file in the /Garmim/GPX folder of the GPS receiver. You'll place unzipped Pocket Queries in a similar way, a better solution for most cachers than loading one cache at a time.

You didn't mention which browser or operating system you're using. But especially if it's Internet Explorer in Windows 10, and if you wish to work on keeping Garmin Communicator functioning, see one of the many threads about the issue, such as this one:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=334207&view=findpost&p=5538114

You can also load Communicator in Firefox. That seems to work without much trouble for now.

Edited by kunarion

So... the garmin website can detect your device? That means the plugin is working correctly. But modern browsers (Edge, Chrome, Firefox's default settings) don't support the plugin anymore due to it being built on an old insecure platform.

Honestly, the best way to add caches to your GPS is by using pocket queries. Pocket queries do let you load up to 1000 caches in a single gpx file which means:

- no more picking and choosing, just load all caches in an area.

- manage your found caches by just filtering them out of your query. No need to figure out which GPX file on your device belongs to found caches that you need to delete.

- keep cache listings up to date by running the query weekly (or more often if you so choose).

You could set up a quick PQ for the area you are going tonight and run it (Don't run it at first to preview the results and refine the search). If there are more than 1000 caches in the area you are visiting, you can create multiple queries, either moving the location or filtering by cache type or size etc. You can run up to 10 in a day, which should be more than enough for a short holiday trip.

But modern browsers (Edge, Chrome, Firefox's default settings) don't support the plugin anymore due to it being built on an old insecure platform.

I've seen it mentioned several times that Firefox doesn't support the Garmin Communicator plugin anymore. And then I see HHL reply that Firefox does still support the plugin. I can confirm that HHL's comment is correct, since I used it to "Send to GPS" a couple times, although not since this summer.

Here are a couple posts regarding the plugin and Firefox: Here and Here and Here

Honestly, the best way to add caches to your GPS is by using pocket queries. Pocket queries do let you load up to 1000 caches in a single gpx file which means:

Pocket Queries (PQ's) are great for quickly loading multiple caches to a GPSr and I consider the functionality to be one of the best features of a premium membership. This page and this page are good references for how to set up a PQ, if you're not already familiar with them.

But modern browsers (Edge, Chrome, Firefox's default settings) don't support the plugin anymore due to it being built on an old insecure platform.

I've seen it mentioned several times that Firefox doesn't support the Garmin Communicator plugin anymore. And then I see HHL reply that Firefox does still support the plugin. I can confirm that HHL's comment is correct, since I used it to "Send to GPS" a couple times, although not since this summer.

It's working fine in Firefox 47.0.2. I tried it just now, sending to my Oregon 550 (a similar model to the OP's 450). But by starting Firefox, I've caused it to download the latest update which is happening as I type. Wish me luck. :anibad:

[EDIT]: "Send To GPS" is still working in Firefox 50.0.2. It can be set up to work. I tried it.

Edited by kunarion

Here are a couple posts regarding the plugin and Firefox: Here and Here and Here

I seem to recall that you have to make it work in Firefox by changing a few settings. But I don't think that's the OP's problem since he claims that Garmin's site can read the GPS via the plugin.

I seem to recall that you have to make it work in Firefox by changing a few settings. But I don't think that's the OP's problem since he claims that Garmin's site can read the GPS via the plugin.

When it breaks in Windows 10, Garmin Communicator can go through all the motions, no errors, and all seems perfectly fine except for one small detail: The file doesn't arrive on the GPSr. That's what happened with mine. One quick way to know, is to click the button again. No errors, means no file conflict message, and therefore, the file was not sent to the GPSr.

If the OP feels the need to mess around with finicky plug-ins, installing it in Firefox is the way to go. I tried the first "Garmin Communicator" suggested in FF's "Add-ons" list. I changed nothing else. Internet Explorer was trickier, requiring the addition of "Trusted Sites". That requires a whole new level of decisions: Just how many security features am I willing to disable, for the convenience of a button that I can do without?

Edited by kunarion

Just wondering if you can use the Send To GPS button using firefox to other brands of GPS's? I'm just curious.

I think most of the GPS manufacturer's communicator plugins are built on the NPAPI platform. So the answer is yesno. As in yes, you can make firefox work with them just as you can with Garmin, but it's really not a good idea to keep using them in the long term.