Cache Missing for 10 Years Located 140 Miles Away

Ramness

Took a trip out to Arlington TX last week to help a friend move his stuff back to Georgia. While there we were at another friend’s home and I spotted a tube with magnets attached stuck on the refrigerator. When I spotted it I thought, that looks like a Geocache, so I pulled it off the fridge and opened the cap. Sure enough there was a rolled up log sheet inside. I took the cache out and the dining room where everyone else was and asked “why is this on your refrigerator?”. My friend’s mother in-law (she lives with them) informed me it was a Geocache, I replied I knew what it was and inquired why it was her fridge.

According to her she used to Geocache hunt, by that I mean she went and found 4 of them one weekend in a park down the street from her home many years ago. Someone she knows that does highway maintenance found the cache on a guardrail somewhere in Texas and knowing she was a “Geocacher” gave the cache to her thinking she would know what to do with it. It has been on their refrigerator since. She could not recall how long ago that was but the last log was in March 2007.

The name on the first page of the logsheet was Sono/Rad. I was hoping he was local so I could give him the cache before I left town but according to his profile he lives in SC. I then set about trying to figure out which cache of his it was, no easy task as Sono/Rad has placed over 300 traditional caches. After a little research it appears to be GCTFRN Bridge Quick Cache, the dates on the last logs match the log sheet. I was surprised to learn the original location was 140 miles away from the home where I found the cache on the refrigerator!

I am now back home in Atlanta and have the cache with me. I sent a message to Sono/Rad but so far I have not heard back from him.

IMG_20161216_240335125.jpg

IMG_20161216_240354074.jpg

IMG_20161216_240431074.jpg

You could go to several of the finders profiles and check their finds for the date they signed the log you have and just might find the answers you seek. :unsure:

I don't think that's the issue -- the cache has been ID'd, but Ramness hasn't been able to contact the CO.

After a little research it appears to be GCTFRN Bridge Quick Cache, the dates on the last logs match the log sheet.

I sent a message to Sono/Rad but so far I have not heard back from him.

Well, if you know where it was supposed to be, you could put it back.

Wouldn't do much good if the cache onwer doesn't respond -- cache in question has been archived for going on 10 years. Putting it back in the same spot and hoping the CO gets it unarchived is not quite littering, but it's not far removed.

Wouldn't do much good if the cache onwer doesn't respond -- cache in question has been archived for going on 10 years. Putting it back in the same spot and hoping the CO gets it unarchived is not quite littering, but it's not far removed.

You could put it back and publish it again as a new cache.

Oh. I didn't realized it was archived.

I just found a muggled cache container this week. Found inside the cab of a F-250 pickup I bought from the Seattle Fire Dept. at a surplus auction. No cache name or GC# on the log. I messaged the last 5 finder I could read from the log page. So hopping I will find its owner soon. But this one has only been missing a few months. last log was 5-7-16.

Gave me a good chuckle when I found it. I was removing all the equipment brackets and cleaning when I found it stuck to the seat frame (magnetic). What are the odds of a Cacher buying the truck. someone else would have thought is was a bracket welded to the seat frame.