One for the hikers (shameful plug)

sparklehorse

Showed Doug and called a caching buddy in Corvallis who is really into old mines and rock hunting and stuff. We all can't wait to do these! After the weather turns dry this spring we want to make it a nice weekend of caching and camping. Is the hike to the Bonus cache really far from the 1st? You don't make it sound like it, but these two overweight people are curious. We will be doing more adventurous hiking caches out of town this year. There is nothing like seeing the real thing, when just the photos take your breath away!

--Temporarily French Polynesia's most prolific geocachers!

There is also The Gold Creek Mine Cache, which was archived after my no-find, but I have this feeling it's still there and I just couldn't find it. I don't think the person who placed it ever checked to see if it was actually gone (he does not seem to be actively caching now). Though not far from a busy trailhead and very popular hiking area, it seemed so remote! This was the funnest cache hunt I've ever been on without ever finding the treasure. I might just put one up there myself to reactivate it.

I will surely be visiting your Opal Creek Caches Sparklehorse because you are my hero!

dasein wrote:

quote:
Is the hike to the Bonus cache really far from the 1st?

The bonus cache is about a mile and a half beyond the first. Total hike from car to bonus cache is about five miles, with 400 feet elev. gain. There's old mines all over this area, but you'll only see a couple from the trail and one is easy to miss. Santiam #1 is supposedly about a half mile beyond the gate, just past Gold Creek, and on the north bank of the little Santiam river. From what I've read it sounds like one of the more interesting ones but I haven't taken the time to look for it yet. Supposed to be an old ore car there and some tracks among other things.

Byron & Anne wrote:

quote:
And this one is just around the corner.

Like the Santiam #1 mine, your 3 Pools cache is another spot down there I keep wanting to see. I've seen pictures and it looks very cool. It's on the list for a summer camping trip.

The Chief wrote:

quote:
I smell a Santiam cache dash in my future.

Three years ago that would have been about the weirdest sentence a person could possibly utter!

CFM wrote:

quote:
There is also The Gold Creek Mine Cache, which was archived after my no-find.

That looks like a very cool cache! I had no idea it existed. I'll bet it's still up there too, but perhaps washed downstream. The container kills me.

Mr. Snazz wrote:

quote:
I can't wait til summer!

Hey, two cache registers, no waitingicon_wink.gif.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message has been edited to fit your TV screen.

Zzzoey wrote:

quote:
So how does the climb rate in relation to the Hole of Inaccessibility?

It's nothing like "The Deschutes River Canyon of Death" as a fellow cacher recently put it. This is a longish hike but it's pretty flat. Even easier if you use a bike to get to Jawbone Flats. And it's pure "wetside". If you hike this in the rain you're likely to come home with moss growing between your toes!

This message has been edited to fit your TV screen.