Multicache dissappears from map after correcting coordinates

Valentijn77

Hi,

I have modified the coordinates for a Multicache: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC1NPPC_de-molenheide?guid=ba2047f2-1359-4fa5-946e-6748921c3e9e

On the cache page itself everything displays normal, cache is visible in the map view on the cache page.

http://imgur.com/a/nQuMT

But on the global geocaching map (Play->View geocaching map: https://www.geocaching.com/map/) the cache has dissappeared.

It's not showing at the original coordinates, nor the corrected ones.

http://imgur.com/a/JLH3f

Already tried zooming in and out, but no luck.

Google Chrome on Windows, using google maps.

Valentijn77

Edited by Valentijn77

Density -- wow, no kidding. Is there really a 161m separation between the final of that multi and the traditional? Can't really tell the map scale from here.

As long as the physical points are 161m apart, the virtual points can be in the exact same spot.

There are lots of examples around here where caches are very close like this, some even in the exact same coordinate because COs thinks that's cool.

I hope GS will solve this one day as in the netherlands the cache density is very high.

There's a general problem of dense caches overlapping, and while I'd like to see that solved, I can't think of a good solution myself, so I can't fault GS for not finding one.

This case, however, is a cache with corrected coordinates. I think it would make sense to give such caches "priority" and show them in front of any other caches.

As long as the physical points are 161m apart, the virtual points can be in the exact same spot.

There are lots of examples around here where caches are very close like this, some even in the exact same coordinate because COs thinks that's cool.

Around here, COs typically only overlap caches if they're intentionally hiding a puzzle cache. There are only a few caches like that, but in those few cases, the CO was just being funny by making it harder to notice the cache on the map. It gets a little confusing when you've found one but not the other, since you can see a smily where you know there's a cache that you haven't found yet and vice versa.

When an overlap happens accidentally, normally the CO with the puzzle cache will move the posted coordinates a little so they don't overlap. Thankfully, no one appears to think it's generally cool, so no one does it regularly. When I see that while traveling, I wonder how annoying it would be if I had to deal with it all the time.

Around here, COs typically only overlap caches if they're intentionally hiding a puzzle cache. There are only a few caches like that, but in those few cases, the CO was just being funny by making it harder to notice the cache on the map. It gets a little confusing when you've found one but not the other, since you can see a smily where you know there's a cache that you haven't found yet and vice versa.

When an overlap happens accidentally, normally the CO with the puzzle cache will move the posted coordinates a little so they don't overlap. Thankfully, no one appears to think it's generally cool, so no one does it regularly. When I see that while traveling, I wonder how annoying it would be if I had to deal with it all the time.

There's one local who likes to overlap up to six mystery caches at the same location. Not sure if he/she is trying to be funny.

Someone hid a traditional atop one of my mystery caches. I couldn't change the location of my mystery cache since the puzzle was based on the the listed coords. Fortunately, she archivd it soon afterward.

I hope GS will solve this one day as in the netherlands the cache density is very high.

There's a general problem of dense caches overlapping, and while I'd like to see that solved, I can't think of a good solution myself, so I can't fault GS for not finding one.

This case, however, is a cache with corrected coordinates. I think it would make sense to give such caches "priority" and show them in front of any other caches.

Corrected coordinates should result in the cache being displayed in those new/corrected coordinates instead of the old coordinates.

If there are overlaps, something like an indicator could be added, or a different icong which will show all caches underneath when hovering over it. This might be more difficult to implement.

[...] something like an indicator could be added, or a different icong which will show all caches underneath when hovering over it. This might be more difficult to implement.

When there are more than one caches at the same place and you're clicking the icon, then there actually are prev/next buttons to the prev/next (sic!) caches.

0edc55c31e17523d2fef68050ffdfa52.png

And there is hovering as well:

bdbd646c3d71b7f081f7261262ea0224.png

Hans

Edited by HHL

[...] something like an indicator could be added, or a different icong which will show all caches underneath when hovering over it. This might be more difficult to implement.

When there are more than one caches at the same place and you're clicking the icon, then there actually are prev/next buttons to the prev/next (sic!) caches.

0edc55c31e17523d2fef68050ffdfa52.png

And there is hovering as well:

bdbd646c3d71b7f081f7261262ea0224.png

Hans

Wow, can't believe I never saw this. The hovering seems to be not always working, so it's still not perfect but good to know!

Edited by Valentijn77