Village Sign or NOT Village Sign?

NuttyRachy

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to geocaching and would like to place my own geocache in my home village. My question is about village signs. I know that this is a huge and popular series but I'm just curious as to whether they are only specific to the tall pretty signs with pictures relating to the town/village itself (such as this)

665_crest.jpg

Would your average stone and wooden sign (like this one)

440_LLE130791_IMG_08_0000.JPG

be classed in the same category? I wish to place a geocache near a village sign like the latter. Am I safe to go ahead and just place it there or would I have to contact the local village sign coordinator?

Thank you for your help in advance :D

NuttyRachy

Edited by NuttyRachy

Hi NuttyRachy,

I'm Smokeypugs the manager (if that's the right turn of phase) of the Village Sign series. alan666notb suggestion is a good one as I don't often look at the forums here. Thanks to abiherts for bringing to my attention this question. In answer to whether Streatley is a VS or not is no. The longer answer is the series was set up to celebrate the more traditional signs that villages put up to mark the turning of the millennium or jubilee or just the history of the village. We have had requests and placements for signs such as this and this has caused augments within the community. As such we've had to be a litre more stricter on what counts for the series. We now ask for a photo of any proposed signs if I can't find a google image. If you find one locally and you aren't sure send us a PM (our profile is added to each cache in the series and if you find one that isn't you can locate others via the bookmark list). I hope that explains why the answer is no. I'm always happy to answer questions about the series so if you want to know more send me a message here or on FB.

Smokeypugs

Geoff, Melissa and Smokey Bushill