Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Tante.Hossi

Allegorical Sculptures

4 posts in this topic

I'm dealing with an idea for new category: Allegorical Sculptures

I think they are not really covered in any of the existing categories. Or does someone know a home category for them?

The existing category 'Famous Fictional Figures' says in description: 'We do not under any circumstances accept any allegorical figures.'

Some of them could go to 'Epic Beings and Creatures'.

And the 'Statues of Liberty' have their own category.

But the others?

Or am I wrong and they do all fit into the big 'Figurative Public Sculpture' category???

What are Allegorical Sculptures?

Some background informations can be found at wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia...rical_sculpture

In my own simple words:

Allegorical Sculptures represent abstract ideas in a personify way.

Examples could be:

Justice, Peace, Freedom, Poetry, Music, Demogracy, Science, Literature, several Virtues, Fame, Virctory, etc.

But also

rivers, oceans, continents, countries, planets, stars, sun and moon

seasons, months, days

and, and, and

Do you understand what I am thinking about?

Those Allegorical Sculptures are quite common and widespread. And real cool and interesting.

Do we need such a cetegory?

Or is it already covered?

I have waymarked statues of concepts like Justice and Democracy in Epic Beings. Also statues for Agriculture and Science.

I have waymarked statues of concepts like Justice and Democracy in Epic Beings. Also statues for Agriculture and Science.

Yes, me too. I never had any doubt that allegorical figures belong to the Epic Beings. There might be some rare exceptions, although cannot think at any in the moment. I think this idea is redundant.

Yes, me too. I never had any doubt that allegorical figures belong to the Epic Beings. There might be some rare exceptions, although cannot think at any in the moment. I think this idea is redundant.

I think I'll have to remember this thread for that time when I post an Allegorical Sculpture to Epic Beings and have it rejected, since, if Justice and Democracy are acceptable there, pretty much any other allegory should be. Now I'll have to run out and find one.

It's cold outside; I think I'll do that tomorrow, or maybe two weeks from next Tuesday.