The "what are you doing?" Question

bayoumiss

We finally just avoided the question. Nobody asks us what we're doing now. Our motto: "Stealth is vastly overrated".

See photos in this post and the one that follows since the originals at Groundspeak don't seem to come up with any regularity >> http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=325185&view=findpost&p=5530195

Then start at post #1 and you'll see the explanation that goes with it.

98% of the time, i usually say exactly what i'm doing, geocaching. The other 2%, people i think may harm the cache, get something like, "i'm looking for my keys".

In a case like yours, on the roadside,,, geocaching is my main response because i know they'll probably say "ok" and leave me to my search. Again though, if for some reason i thought they might be up to no good, i might give them the "my hat flew out the car window and i'm trying to find it" routine.

Edited by Mudfrog

98% of the time, i usually say exactly what i'm doing, geocaching. The other 2%, people i think may harm the cache, get something like, "i'm looking for my keys".

In a case like yours, on the roadside,,, geocaching is my main response because i know they'll probably say "ok" and leave me to my search. Again though, if for some reason i thought they might be up to no good, i might give them the "my hat flew out the car window and i'm trying to find it" routine.

+1

When we used to do urban/roadside caches, most times we told the truth.

Alongside a bog once, the two who showed (appearing to be looking for trouble), I was "looking for some more snakes", and left alone.

Some busybodies, we've looked for more of "those huge spiders" at times too.

Now that most outings are hikes (and away from towns), many on trail know the uses for a GPSr, and usually don't say anything except for a hint (if seen doing the bee dance). :)

My first rule is, LEO or not, don't lie. Often, if I stop and think about it, what I'm actually doing when asked doesn't really have anything to do with geocaching, so that's always one option. "Taking a walk" or "picking up trash" is often a correct and truthful answer that doesn't happen to relate to the fact that there's a geocache hidden nearby and I am or was looking for. "Playing a game" also works, particularly since there's now a well know game that they can think I'm playing that has no physical component for them to seek after I've left.

But unless there's some reason to be concerned about compromising the cache, I'm perfectly willing to just explain geocaching to them. And, in particular, the *more* likely they are to compromise the cache -- for example, someone working in the nearby store or someone that lives in the neighborhood -- the more I'm inclined to let them in on why they see people poking around that bush all the time.

Like others here, there are a number of factors that go into my response, including the apparent-trustworthiness of the person, the location, the time of year, etc. For example, if I was asked by someone who looked like they might do something nefarious to the cache and I was in the woods around this time of year, I might tell them I'm looking for mushrooms. Like dprovan's examples, this wouldn't really be a lie because mushrooms are plentiful at this time of year around here and I'm always taking photos of them. On the other hand, if I don't mind taking a few minutes out of my day to explain geocaching and the person appears reasonable, I'll just tell them I'm geocaching. Often they're already aware of geocaching and just continue on their way with no further explanation required.

Of course, if the person is suspicious/angry or has some kind of authority (e.g. LEO, security, possible landowner, etc.), I'll tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Lying in such a scenario will only make things more difficult and can lead to lasting repercussions for yourself and the local caching community.

I've often toyed with the idea of responding, "I'm looking for someone who's minding their own business. Seen any?"

I can't imagine actually saying this to anyone, but it does float through my head from time to time, followed by me immediately dismissing the thought.

Last couple times I was asked by regular muggles, I just said I was looking for a marker that corresponded with some coordinates. I was in uniform for both of those, so they probably figured it was official business.

Whenever I am asked by law enforcement or security, I simply say I am geocaching and then explain as needed.

Edited by hzoi

I've often toyed with the idea of responding, "I'm looking for someone who's minding their own business. Seen any?"

I can't imagine actually saying this to anyone, but it does float through my head from time to time, followed by me immediately dismissing the thought.

Last couple times I was asked by regular muggles, I just said I was looking for a marker that corresponded with some coordinates. I was in uniform for both of those, so they probably figured it was official business.

Whenever I am asked by law enforcement or security, I simply say I am geocaching and then explain as needed.

I've thought of responding "Minding my own business."

I like your "looking for a marker that corresponds with some coordinates." It is both true and evasive.

I was once in a park where there were occasionally problems with 'cruising' when a fellow came up next to me and asked "see anything interesting?"

I knew better than to respond to this and moved on without acknowledging him. :unsure:

Nope. Never had that happen to me.

Certainly never had anyone create a puzzle cache to commemorate it.

:ph34r:

Nothing to see here...move along.

Hehe...surprisingly, I'd never heard that particular term before. Maybe it's true what they say..."you learn something new every day". Sure, it may not be all that useful... :laughing:

Depends where I am and who's asking. We were caught finding a cache in a bit of woodland behind someone's house. The owner was working in the garden and came out because he thought we had lost something and was going to help. I explained geocaching and he was really excited, saying he'd introduce it to his kids.

On another occasion, I was asked by someone who clearly thought I was up to no good, so I just told her I'd dropped a contact lens as I suspected she would sabotage the cache if she saw me find it.

Depends where I am and who's asking. We were caught finding a cache in a bit of woodland behind someone's house. The owner was working in the garden and came out because he thought we had lost something and was going to help. I explained geocaching and he was really excited, saying he'd introduce it to his kids.

I would honestly prefer not to have a cache right behind my house. The oldest cache in Georgia (Beaver Cache) is about five feet from someone's back yard...direct line of sight from their back door. If I lived there, I'd do all I could to have it taken out.

I would honestly prefer not to have a cache right behind my house. The oldest cache in Georgia (Beaver Cache) is about five feet from someone's back yard...direct line of sight from their back door. If I lived there, I'd do all I could to have it taken out.

If I'm being honest too, I wouldn't be that happy with a cache right outside my house. In the case I mentioned, the garden had a high fence with a gate backing onto woodland and a footpath right next to it. People in the house wouldn't even see cachers unless they were looking out of the gate and there would be a lot of people walking past anyway, especially in the summer.

I generally try and avoid putting caches in overlooked residential areas but in Greater London it's not always avoidable, especially if you're placing a cache somewhere for a reason (as opposed to just sticking one there for the sake of it). Oddly though, I've found some in very rural areas that somehow manage to be placed within direct view of the only house for miles.