"Where's In A Name?" Category Description

GCEdo

Trying to access category description for Where's In A Name? category, but it doesn't work. All other categories work fine and I can access their descriptions except this one. Is it active category at all?

Does anyone have description for this category I can use for creation of waymark for that category?

13 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

I'm looking for someone to play this with me. Need player from a line from around Biloxi MS to Rockford Il and north from there.

If I would have thought about it, I could have done it myself going to my 40th high school reunion in '15.

We've only done this once, a couple of years ago, so I forget the algorithm required to arrive at the requisite numbers and the category won't open today (see the first post in this thread).

We found, though, that there are several ways to skin this cat. Our first try was in Finland and the second (successful) one was in Australia. What numbers do you need?

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters
On 9/2/2017 at 3:56 AM, BK-Hunters said:

We've only done this once, a couple of years ago, so I forget the algorithm required to arrive at the requisite numbers and the category won't open today (see the first post in this thread).

We found, though, that there are several ways to skin this cat. Our first try was in Finland and the second (successful) one was in Australia. What numbers do you need?

Keith

use the phone dial to change your handle to numbers. Vulture = 88 57.83.  N/S bearings put in in Arctic or Antarctic areas, not much Waymarking at either locations! So must be E/W. East is thru Nepal, I think. West is thru US and Canada just east of the Mississippi River in US.

16 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

use the phone dial to change your handle to numbers. Vulture = 88 57.83.  

First,  36 31.XXX -88 57.873 puts you in the vicinity of Mountainwoods, I believe.

Second, nowhere does it say that you have to use the first 7 letters of your handle, or that you can't use actual digits, should your handle happen to include them. That gives you 88 57 87 31 95 7 and a lot more possibilities.:

88 57.873

86 18.731

58 27.319 (Stevenville, Newfoundland)

79 13.195 (Toronto, ON) Gotta be a Waymarker or 2 here. Elyob is almost 400 km away, in Ottawa.

87 31.957

Overall, not a lot of useful change, unfortunately, but some...

Keith

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, lumbricus said:

lumbricus = 59° 02.742' (58° 62.742')

So this would work if I understood the rules right?

59° 02.742'N  12° 43.357'E

as I read the info, that works just fine. A small change, but it may give enough difference to find something more interesting, would be

59 03' 14"  (74 seconds is more than a minute, so add 1 to minutes and the 14 sec remainder is seconds.)

8 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Second, nowhere does it say that you have to use the first 7 letters of your handle,....

That's interesting. So, if I take my Name PISACACHING, I can ignore the first letter "P" and start with the letter "I"? So that I get 74722224464 (N47° 22.224)? If I get this right, all I have to do is to find someone in Zürich then. That should be doable. For example, N47° 22.224 E8° 32.070 is at the "Alter botanischer Garten".

2 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

That's interesting. So, if I take my Name PISACACHING, I can ignore the first letter "P" and start with the letter "I"? So that I get 74722224464 (N47° 22.224)? If I get this right, all I have to do is to find someone in Zürich then. That should be doable. For example, N47° 22.224 E8° 32.070 is at the "Alter botanischer Garten".

Why do you think you can skip the first letter? I don't see that in the category description. And I haven't been in Zürich for over two weeks. ^_^

However, when you use P as well, you get 7 47222... Taken as longitude east, this is about six kilometers from where I live.  Mainly agricultural areas and forests, but I will see what I can do. Could be in France or Switzerland, your choice.

33 minutes ago, fi67 said:

Why do you think you can skip the first letter? I don't see that in the category description. And I haven't been in Zürich for over two weeks. ^_^

It doesn't say that you CAN'T skip the first letter, is why. If one's handle is longer than 7 characters, I don't see why they should be bound to use ONLY the first seven.

Keith 

Edited by BK-Hunters
14 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

It doesn't say that you CAN'T skip the first letter, is why. If one's handle is longer than 7 characters, I don't see why they should be bound to use ONLY the first seven.

Keith 

but you are supposed to use your Waymarking name. His name is PISA-caching, not ISA-cachingP. I won't say it's not allowed, but I'd do it starting with first letter and use the letters/numbers in order. that gives the challenge.  just my 2 cents.

Edited by vulture1957
  • Love 1

The problem is, that using "Crusso" to explain the rules is not a good choice. They say what you can/have to do, when your name is 6 or less letters long. But they say nothing about longer names. They don't say that I have to use the first 6 or 7 digits of the conversion. Also, the don't say whether the first 2 digits have to be used for the degrees as in the example or if I'm allowed to just use the first digit for the degrees

But most of all: Look at all these waymarks, where the first letter "O" was also ignored.

re: Where's In A Name? - A Waymarking.com Category

You have to use your ENTIRE geocaching name.  You cannot drop the first letter or start in the middle.  If you have a short name there are suggestions on the Waymark Instructions  as to what you can do.  If you have a really long name you stop when the coordinates are complete.  The rest of the letters in your Geocaching name are not needed.  

The EXACT numbers from your entire geocaching name have to show on the GPS screen.  Close numbers won't do.

When I determined my coordinates I drew a line on a map which went from eastern Canada to Bermuda.  I contacted a few top Geocachers along that line in Virginia and Pennsylvania.  I was able to create three or four Waymarks with the help of a couple Geocachers. 

42 minutes ago, Rose Red said:

re: Where's In A Name? - A Waymarking.com Category

You have to use your ENTIRE geocaching name.  You cannot drop the first letter or start in the middle.  If you have a short name there are suggestions on the Waymark Instructions  as to what you can do.  If you have a really long name you stop when the coordinates are complete.  The rest of the letters in your Geocaching name are not needed.  

The EXACT numbers from your entire geocaching name have to show on the GPS screen.  Close numbers won't do.

When I determined my coordinates I drew a line on a map which went from eastern Canada to Bermuda.  I contacted a few top Geocachers along that line in Virginia and Pennsylvania.  I was able to create three or four Waymarks with the help of a couple Geocachers. 

Rose Red, thank you.  Since we can no longer read the category description and waymark instructions, can you please remind us of the suggestions for those with a short name.

31 minutes ago, elyob said:

Rose Red, thank you.  Since we can no longer read the category description and waymark instructions, can you please remind us of the suggestions for those with a short name.

I can read it. It says:

"If your name is five letters or shorter, you must use the entire name and can fill in the remaining values as desired or leave them "open" for your buddy to have some leeway."

Rose Red - those are the coords that I have been posting that I am using to try to complete this waymark. But, it says to use the letters in your name to make the waymark. I can use 8 as my first number. Then 85 for the next  (adding 1 for the "over 60 minutes") . Nothing says you have to have a double-digit degree. First number in Vulture is 8. 8 can be the degrees. Not that it helps me any. Can't see that it would help many folks as single digits N/S would be at the poles. Not many Waymarkers there. I could possibly try for something in the UK. Not sure where W08 degrees runs thru.

here's the applicable part of the category as we have been discussing:

Now to the logistics:

1. Convert your entire Geocaching handle to a coordinate.
    Using a telephone keypad and your Username, convert your entire Username into numbers such that:

A, B or C='2'

D, E or F='3'; etc.

If your name is five letters or shorter, you must use the entire name and can fill in the remaining values as desired or leave them "open" for your buddy to have some leeway. You must use your regular Username, no creating new ones just for this cache!

This process will generate one coord.

IE: my Username 'Crusso' converts to 27°87.76'. However, "87" is larger than "60" minutes which is a problem. If this happens, as it will with some names, just add "1 (one)" to the degrees and subtract 60 from the minutes. This gives me 28°27.76'. Geocaching uses the DD°MM.mmmmm' format, which is degrees, minutes.decimal minutes. No conversion is needed on the decimal portion.

My result is 28°27.76' as one coord. I can add 0-9 to the end to space it out to seven places or leave it "open" (to allow for some variance at the cache site). That coord. can be either N/S/E or W depending on how it converts.

37 minutes ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

23.6246275 and 25.278379 for us.

IIRC, we were always going to be in the ocean - lol 

using N/S 24Deg 02.46" gives:  Mexico, Bahamas, N Africa countries, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Oman, India, Taiwan, Macau; Chile, Bolivia, Brazil, Botswana, Madagascar and Australia.

Southeast Libya could give you E24 02.46 S24 02.46  now THAT would be a waymark!

I was not the leader of this Category when I joined.  Crusso created the Category and was the leader.  I logged in one day to discover that I was the Leader!  As for "And why were all these waymarks approved (by you!) then? "Odyssey Posse" would have to have a 6 at the beginning, no?", I simply blew it.  Those Waymarks were approved by me in 2009.  I do not know why I didn't catch the mistakes.  Nor why any one else in the Group didn't catch  the mistakes.  These Waymarks would never be approved by me now. 

Edited by Rose Red
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Rose Red said:

Those Waymarks were approved by me in 2009.  I do not know why I didn't catch the mistakes.  Nor why any one else in the Group didn't catch  the mistakes.  These Waymarks would never be approved by me now. 

It's never to late to undo mistakes. These can be re-evaluated and declined as invalid, not following the category description.

On 9/12/2017 at 11:48 AM, vulture1957 said:

for Rose Red - how do I do a visit to this category? Do I go to the coords that were first published, or do I take photos and readings for a different set of coords for the same name? Or, is it only for the person who takes the picture of their GPSr to log that find, after the named person publishes the waymark?

If you go to the Waymark coordinates, take a photo and post your Visit. Visits are NOT just for the "Friend" who first took pictures for the Waymark.

If you go to different coordinates for the same name, you would have to take pictures, contact the person and see if he/she would like to produce another Waymark for the Category. Then after they create and publish the new Waymark, you would be able to claim the Visit.

Remember also that you, as the Friend, want to find an interesting location for the Waymark. Coordinates that put you on a gravel road between two corn fields, or in the middle of brush country is not interesting. That's like placing a Historical Marker that says, " At this location, on Sept 24, 2017, nothing happened."

P.S. I'm at N26 to N30 and W97 to W99 frequently.

Edit to add the P.S.

Edited by 8Nuts MotherGoose
On 9/4/2017 at 5:20 PM, vulture1957 said:

I guess I could see about using 8 (V) as the only degree number for E/w or NS 

N8 85.887 or E8 85.887 -- would become 9 25.887

or 9 degrees, 26 mins 38 secs

Hey, another thing. How do I get degrees symbol?

I would use W88 58.873. That puts you N/S through Wisconsin, Illinois and south. It also puts you near the boat ramp in Rock Cut State Park in Rockford, IL. About 40 miles north of where I go each summer for Family Reunion in August.

Edit - Easiest way to get Degrees symbol is to copy from a Waymark page. (W 002°)  °

Edited by 8Nuts MotherGoose

Reading this thread last night made me think I could use a little utility for just this sort of thing. To date, I keep a tab with an ASCII table open in Notepad++  and copy and paste from there. (I don't have a keypad on the laptop I'm using right now.) So, found this little app called CatchChar which installs quickly and is easy to customize. Hit SHIFT-ALT C when you want to enter a character and select it from the little popup menu. Easy-peasy.

Keith