What happens when a Waymark is archived

Bon Echo

Over the last year it seems a number of Waymarks that I VISITED have been archived. Or I'm loosing my mind (not to be ruled out...)

For example, I'm sure there were a small number of Waymarks in Swan River MB when I visited there last summer. I took photos of a couple historic plaques and have some memory that they were already waymarked. Last month I discovered they were not waymarked, so I did it. In fact, there are currently no waymarks in that town except a small number that I have since waymarked. I'm so sure there were some when I checked last year. Okay, maybe I'm just confused.

But then there is the case of Lincoln Trail State Park in IL. Camped there this summer and I vividly remember that it was Waymarked and that I posted a visit. I remember that it was called something like "Lincoln Trail Wilderness" which I found amusing and posted a comment about the sign being changed etc. I also recall it being an old waymark with no visits. I also have some memory of at least a few Waymarks being already posted near the log cabin in Marshall IL (not far from the State Park) - but I cannot find them now. Is this all in my head or are they being archived?

I checked my profile and see only one visit for IL and it's for a photo challenge (that's annoying on a different level but I will save that rant for another time). I'm so sure that I at least posted a visit to the Lincoln Trail SP.

My question is - if you post a visit and the WM is later archived, what does that mean for your personal stats - milestones, categories visited, states with visits etc?

My hutch is that it all vanished along with the Waymark. If that's true, I'm probably going to start posting even few visits that I already do, since it can all disappear.

Anyone want to experiment? We will need to create a Waymark, post some visits, then archive it. A bit of work involved. Anyone interested? Obviously easier if someone already knows the answer

And fwiw I did try many google searches trying to located these "missing" waymarks but without luck (using the site:Waymarking.com phrase in the search).

Bon Echo

For reasons that I won't get in to, I am willing to (and interested in) archiving a new waymark.

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMTK4Z_LOdysse_Gatineau_Qubec

Visit it first, then we'll know.

I have often wondered about the same question. For that reason, I have never archived any of my waymarks, hoping to leave the visitor's stats as they were.

The waymark I have chosen for your experiment is a rather popular category. It may be difficult for us/you to track in the stats.

However, with no visits to Québec, it might be easy to track.

Edited by elyob

For reasons that I won't get in to, I am willing to (and interested in) archiving a new waymark.

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMTK4Z_LOdysse_Gatineau_Qubec

Visit it first, then we'll know.

Perfect, thank-you for the offer.

Here are my (relevant stats) before I go and post a log. I will post a log today and wait for my stats to fully update. Maybe wait a day or two before you archive it.

Visits to Quebec: none (in the Waymarking sense, even though I once lived within walking distance of the border (assuming the Ottawa was frozen enough to walk across of course - but that years before Waymarking existed).

# of Waymarks visited: 811

# of Figurative Public Sculpture visited: 7

Let me know when Québec becomes part of your stats.

Will do. Some of the stats have updated but not all:

Quebec - still shows 0 visits. Likely won't update until tomorrow.

Total # Visits: now 812

# of Figurative Public Statues visited: Now at 8 and includes your waymark

Here's another interesting twist:

Looking at my map I see a visit to New Brunswick. Like QC, have not been to NB since before my Waymarking days. Did I retro visit one? Was curious so I searched "Waymarks I've Visited" and filtered for location - New Brunswick. All Dates, no other filters.

No Waymarks Found.

???????

Edited by Bon Echo

Let me know when Québec becomes part of your stats.

Will do. Some of the stats have updated but not all:

Quebec - still shows 0 visits. Likely won't update until tomorrow.

Total # Visits: now 812

# of Figurative Public Statues visited: Now at 8 and includes your waymark

Here's another interesting twist:

Looking at my map I see a visit to New Brunswick. Like QC, have not been to NB since before my Waymarking days. Did I retro visit one? Was curious so I searched "Waymarks I've Visited" and filtered for location - New Brunswick. All Dates, no other filters.

No Waymarks Found.

???????

One possible solution is that you visited a waymark that is BASED in NB, even though the waymark itself may have been visited in say, ON or IL or wherever. A classic example of that is the U-Haul Supergraphics category. Each graphic depicts a city, state or province - ie., Anne of Green Gables is based in Charlottetown, PEI, but you may have seen the graphic in Hamilton, ON.

Are deleted waymarks the same as archived waymarks? I have since found the answer: no.

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM3604

Clearly, the data attached to a deleted waymark no longer exists.

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM367N

In the example of the archived waymark, the details still exist. We do not yet know if those details have become data elsewhere.

Edited by elyob

I just visited it, too, complete with fake photo. Figgered I might as well get in on the fun...

Later:

I seriously doubt that the visit stats on the maps page are anything more than wishful thinking. According to it we have visits in 11 provinces/territories, including ones I've never been in and 42 states, again several of which I've never been in. The stats have very little to do with reality.

This would be about number eight on the list of things which are currently busted on the site!!!

Waymarks Posted, however, seems to be correct. You know, this is the first time I've looked at the Waymarks Visited map. Maybe they've always been busted.

Keith

Still later: Barb just brought to my attention the fact that we have visited quite a number of U Hauls. That's where the mysterious visits came from, so I will strike number eight off the list of things which are currently busted on the site!!!

Edited by BK-Hunters

The maps are not yet updated this morning, Quebec still does not show up on my Maps.

But I took a look at the archived Starbucks Waymark that Elyob posted and can conclude that when a Waymark is archived, if you previously visited that Waymark you will still be credited for that Waymark at least in terms of Categories Visited and # of visits in that category and Total Visits. The Starbucks icon is also displayed on the Category Grid.

In that example, the archived Starbucks waymark was visited by “licenced”; when I check his/her profile (“Waymark Lists” – “Visited”) I see they visited 1 Starbucks, but when I click the “1” there are no waymarks shown – and that makes sense since it was archived.

See for yourself:

http://www.Waymarking.com/users/profile.aspx?f=1&guid=7e7327b7-5d8d-46d7-ae8b-4692ee899260&mypage=2&gt=1&dt1=1/1/2005&dt2=12/10/2016

I poked around a bit further and found an archived listing for a Lustron house, with visits. If you look at user Facedances http://www.Waymarking.com/users/profile.aspx?f=1&guid=b70584ae-c675-41fa-bf6b-27c77a3616a4&mypage=2&gt=1&dt1=1/1/2005&dt2=12/10/2016 , you will see he/she visited two Lustron Homes (including this archived one: http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM5MZ0_A_Desert_Tan_Lustron_on_the_corner_in_Bedford_OH ). Yet if you click the “2”, only one is shown (because the other is archived)

So I feel confident now to say that when a Waymark gets Archived, your visit stats associated with that waymark stick around. That includes Total Visits, Categories Visited, and Category Grid icons (and likely maps)

But what happens if that same Waymark gets deleted? Can an archived Waymark be deleted? I know that unfinished ones can be deleted, but not sure about archived ones (I don't have any archived Waymarks).

So I suspect that the New Brunswick visit was to a (now archived) waymark… and I’m starting to wonder if I am losing my mind, imagining Waymark visits that never were. It seems less probably that users are archiving and then deleting their waymarks. And maybe not even possible (can someone confirm this please?).

Hmm, also wonder now what happens if you delete your own visit (or if it is deleted by the waymark owner). Testing now.....

Ps - yes if you visit a “photo challenge” or “UHaul” category you get credited my visits to places you have never been to. I have visits to Brazil, Finland, Maryland, and a couple other places I’ve never been because of visits to those categories.

A deleted visit is completely gone, leaving no traces in a statistic.

When an archived waymark would be deleted, I guess then the visits would go away as well, but I think (I am not sure) an archived waymark cannot be deleted, an officers must reevaluate and deny it first. Visits to archived waymarks show up in the statistics bar on the profile page, the waymarks list tab, and in My Visits, but not in the category details on the waymarks list, and not in Waymarks I've Visited.

I am most curious to see if the visits map changes.

Me too....but the maps are not updating :mad: still not showing Quebec of Vermont. Broken.

Okay I give up. I will check back in a month or two. If anyone is looking for me I will be carving letterboxing stamps, at least those sites are maintained and used.

Before you go, I can still archive that waymark if you check your latest stats first (ignoring the map). Let me know.

Interestingly, both my posts map and visits map have continued to update.

The stats did update almost right away when I logged the visit. It was only the map that didn't update. That includes the visit to you pigeon soup WM in QC and to your pancake house WM in VT.

My original relevant stats before posting those visits:

Visits to Quebec: none (from Maps)

Visits to Vermont: none (from Maps)

# of Waymarks visited: 811 (from stats bar)

# of Figurative Public Sculpture visited: 7 (from waymarks List)

# of IHOPs visited: none so I have no stats for that category (from waymarks List)

My "current" stats as of today:

# of Waymarks visited: 813 (from stats bar)

# of Figurative Public Sculpture visited: 8 (from waymarks List)

# of IHOPs visited: 1 (from waymarks List).

Also I do see the IHOP icon in my category grid

And only now did I think to try this:

"Waymarks I've Visited" - limited to "Canada" - "Quebec" = 1 (pigeon soup)

"Waymarks I've Visited" - limited to "United States" - "Vermont" = 1 (IHOP)

so most stats updated, just the maps are not updating.

the only caveat now is that if something does not change, does that mean those stats are permanent, or is it just something that is broken on this site? well, lets see.

Okay, go ahead and archive one and I will delete my visit to the IHOP and will report back.

Well, I went ahead and deleted the IHOP visit before posting the above message and can report that most stats update instantaneously:

# of Waymarks visited: 812 (from stats bar)

# of IHOPs visited: none, gone (from waymarks List).

And IHOP icon in GONE from my category grid

"Waymarks I've Visited" - limited to "United States" - "Vermont" = none

Conclusion: if a user deleted their own visit, all related stats are adjusted (I didn't specifically test milestones but expect they would change as well)

My original relevant stats before posting those visits:

# of Waymarks visited: 811 (from stats bar)

# of Figurative Public Sculpture visited: 7 (from waymarks List)

# of IHOPs visited: none so I have no stats for that category (from waymarks List)

My "current" stats as of today:

# of Waymarks visited: 813 (from stats bar)

# of IHOPs visited: 1 (from waymarks List).

Also I do see the IHOP icon in my category grid

And only now did I think to try this:

"Waymarks I've Visited" - limited to "United States" - "Vermont" = 1 (IHOP)

so most stats updated, just the maps are not updating.

the only caveat now is that if something does not change, does that mean those stats are permanent, or is it just something that is broken on this site? well, lets see.

Okay, go ahead and archive one and I will delete my visit to the IHOP and will report back.

Well, I went ahead and deleted the IHOP visit before posting the above message and can report that most stats update instantaneously:

# of IHOPs visited: none, gone (from waymarks List).

And IHOP icon in GONE from my category grid

"Waymarks I've Visited" - limited to "United States" - "Vermont" = none

Conclusion: if a user deleted their own visit, all related stats are adjusted (I didn't specifically test milestones but expect they would change as well)

Updated stats now that elyob has Archived the pigeon soup waymark (I know its not pigeon soup, that would be really gross). Compare with previous statistics shown above.

# of Figurative Public Sculpture visited: 8 (from waymarks List) - but now when you click the "7", only the seven active WMs are shown

"Waymarks I've Visited" - limited to "Canada" - "Quebec" = none

All as expected based on some earlier findings (the Starbucks and Lustron homes WMs)

Conclusion: if a player ARCHIVES a waymark, you are still credited with any VISITS you posted to that waymark. You just cannot see those waymarks anymore (at least not directly using your Stats or Visits)

The waymark is now archived. Surprisingly, it can be unarchived...another experiment?

Sure, if you want to reactivate the waymark, give it a shot. I'm really surprised to see that option. Do you see an option to deleted the Waymark now that it is archived?

Thanks