Wherigo Builder problems

BonsaiGuy

I upgraded to Windows 10 several months ago. Now, since then I have wanted to create a Wherigo and so I decided yesterday that I would learn how....I downloaded The Wherigo Builder and well, I get errors. I am not able to get past the part where I set my address or enter coords.....Even the saved file I started where I was able to get to the Zone part and there is an error when that File is trying to open....very confuse by now....please help

You cannot set coordinates by address or via a map. The API the builder uses to look up the coordinates is no longer in service. You'll have to put the coordinates in manually. Pro tip: if you leave the coordinates in MM.MMMMM format, you can use Google's satellite view in your browser. Click on the map and the coordinates should be displayed in the bottom center.

As for your other problem, opening a cartridge, see the thread Wherigo Builder and 64-bit Windows. This has been known since 2009. Only Groundspeak can put out a new builder install file and host it on their site. The community just fixes the problems.

Go ahead and install the emulator map update before you get to that problem as well. Let's be proactive.

(Hmm... Christmas present to the community: come up with a wiki page that has every issue I can think of and how to resolve it...)

You cannot set coordinates by address or via a map. The API the builder uses to look up the coordinates is no longer in service. You'll have to put the coordinates in manually. Pro tip: if you leave the coordinates in MM.MMMMM format, you can use Google's satellite view in your browser. Click on the map and the coordinates should be displayed in the bottom center.

As for your other problem, opening a cartridge, see the thread Wherigo Builder and 64-bit Windows. This has been known since 2009. Only Groundspeak can put out a new builder install file and host it on their site. The community just fixes the problems.

Go ahead and install the emulator map update before you get to that problem as well. Let's be proactive.

(Hmm... Christmas present to the community: come up with a wiki page that has every issue I can think of and how to resolve it...)

Let me clarify the first part of what I said....When I set up a New Cartridge, I give it a name, then I am supposed to either put in coords or set an address and when I put in an address I get an error saying...."Error Looking up Address:The remote name could not be resolved. 'api.local.yahoo.com.....I also tried the coords thing and got to Zone on tutorial but am not able to set up Zones and hit map, I get "There was an error using TerraServer Ther operation has timed out"

Tried to do what was advised with the map thing and same thing is happening\

Tried to do what was advised with the map thing and same thing is happening\

Just tried again on both topics and I get the same thing

You cannot set coordinates by address or via a map. ... You'll have to put the coordinates in manually.
You have or will have three issues:

1) You cannot set an object (e.g. zone) by address or on a map

That doesn't work anymore in Groundspeak's builder. You can only use coordinates. In my reply, I cited how you could use Google Maps in a browser to get coordinates.

2) You could not open a cartridge you had saved

I included a link to address that issue (the one about running the builder in a 64-bit version of Windows). You'll need to download that zip file and replace the builder's executable on your computer with the zip file's contents.

3) You will have an issue with the emulator's map

I also included a map fix link. Instructions are inside the zip file you'll see in that post.

---------

We see these issues all the time. It's a recurring theme as Groundspeak has elected not to update their builder and I've given up asking them to do so after trying monthly for more than a year and a half (and even doing the map fix work myself and offering it to them).