Question from a muggle

GeoMcCacheface

Hello all,

I'm a muggle and always have been! I've just recently dipped my toe into the world of geocaching and I must say the water feels nice! I haven't had a find yet, but I plan to soon.

I'm a bit hampered though. I'm currently away from home in a country with only a solitary cache. I plan to find it soon, and intend to leave a travel bug to see if it follows me home. I think finding out about geocaching in a place with only one cache is bittersweet. It's bad because I am limited to what I can find, but good as I can leave a lasting impression by doubling the cache count if I leave my own cache.

This leads me to a dilemma, is it good geocaching form to hide a cache and then leave the country? Essentially leaving it to fend for itself? What's your opinion? I really want to leave a cache here as I will never be here again and I have a great idea about a cache. But if my legacy will just be muggled or the such like, is it worth it?

I know I have no finds etc. but I already know I will like geocaching (as an avid orienteerer, I like finding stuff in the woods), plus I've committed myself to an Oregon 700 (couldn't resist the tax free price!) so I have to do it now! Although still an official muggle, it isn't my first encounter with geocaching (although that's a story for another day), and I look forward to my return home as I've already planned my geocaching route around my town (I was surprised about how many caches there were right under my own nose!). Finding geocaching.com feels as if I've been let into a secret club, and that's pretty cool.

Anyway I'm rambling on. Just thought I would say hi and introduce myself and ask whether it's cool to just leave a geocache to fend for itself when I leave the country for good?

Thanks for reading,

G McC

This leads me to a dilemma, is it good geocaching form to hide a cache and then leave the country?

No. It's likely the reviewer for that country will ask what your maintenance plans are. If you return often, it might be published. If not, then if there are problems with the cache you would be unable to take care of it. If there are permission issues with the cache, you would be unable to remove it. For this reason, most "vacation caches" are not published.

I'd wait until you return home or to a place that you frequency very often to place your first cache.

Hey, you're no longer a muggle, you have your cacher name!

As you have fun finding your first several caches you will quickly discover what type of hides and containers you enjoy and conversely, what you don't really enjoy finding. What you learn and what you already know from orienteering will serve you well, both hunting and hiding your own. Be sure to read the guidelines as the hobby has a few rules that are invariable and many guidelines that should be followed.

Welcome to the hobby and have fun!

Hello all,

I'm a muggle and always have been! I've just recently dipped my toe into the world of geocaching and I must say the water feels nice! I haven't had a find yet, but I plan to soon.

I'm a bit hampered though. I'm currently away from home in a country with only a solitary cache. I plan to find it soon, and intend to leave a travel bug to see if it follows me home. I think finding out about geocaching in a place with only one cache is bittersweet. It's bad because I am limited to what I can find, but good as I can leave a lasting impression by doubling the cache count if I leave my own cache.

You don't have any trackables owned or in your possession. Are you confusing trackables and caches?

This leads me to a dilemma, is it good geocaching form to hide a cache and then leave the country? Essentially leaving it to fend for itself? What's your opinion? I really want to leave a cache here as I will never be here again and I have a great idea about a cache. But if my legacy will just be muggled or the such like, is it worth it?

Anyway I'm rambling on. Just thought I would say hi and introduce myself and ask whether it's cool to just leave a geocache to fend for itself when I leave the country for good?

No, it's not "cool".

You really should read the Guidelines before placing a cache anywhere. If you leave something there, and it's not published, have you left geolitter? Not a good impression.

There's a lot to learn before placing a geocache, and submitting it for review. Are you aware of any local laws that would prohibit placing a geocache? Just because there is already one there doesn't mean that it is okay.

But the primary problem is placing a cache in a place where you never intend to return. The cache owner is responsible for the physical container and continuing maintenance.

Guidelines:

https://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

In particular:

Owner is responsible for visits to the physical location.

You are responsible for occasional visits to your cache to ensure it is in proper working order, especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.), or posts a Needs Maintenance log. Temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to search for it until you have addressed the problem. You are permitted a reasonable amount of time – generally up to 4 weeks – in which to check on your cache. If a cache is not being maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an unreasonable length of time, we may archive the listing.

The region in which a cacher is considered able to maintain caches responsibly will vary from person to person. A cacher who has previously logged caches within a wide range of their home may be considered able to maintain a geocache 200 miles (322 km) away. However, someone whose geocaching activities have primarily been within 25 miles (40 km) of home may not be able to maintain a geocache this far from home. This factor is determined at the discretion of the cache reviewer or Groundspeak.

Because of the effort required to maintain a geocache, please place physical caches in your usual caching area and not while traveling. Caches placed during travel will likely not be published unless you are able to provide an acceptable maintenance plan. This plan must allow for a quick response to reported problems, and might include the username of a local cacher who will handle maintenance issues in your absence. Alternatively you might train a local person to maintain the cache. Document your maintenance plan in a Note to Reviewer on your cache listing. This should include contact information of the maintainer. The note will auto-delete on publication.

B.

If you have time to do some research on local geology, you could try creating an earthcache. As long as it's developed around permanent geological features and not something that could be replaced or vandalized like a sign, it may never need maintenance. That's what we did when we visited Norway and placed an earthcache in Naerofjord.

Depending on what country you're in, you may need to get a local to help you with a local language version. When the earthcache rules changed, we ended up finding a Norwegian cacher to help us translate our earthcache description.

Hello all,

I know I have no finds etc. but I already know I will like geocaching (as an avid orienteerer, I like finding stuff in the woods), plus I've committed myself to an Oregon 700 (couldn't resist the tax free price!) so I have to do it now! Although still an official muggle, it isn't my first encounter with geocaching (although that's a story for another day), and I look forward to my return home as I've already planned my geocaching route around my town (I was surprised about how many caches there were right under my own nose!). Finding geocaching.com feels as if I've been let into a secret club, and that's pretty cool.

Thanks for reading,

G McC

This doesn't answer your question but I gotta know. Which country is this? Every country started with just one cache.

If you have time to do some research on local geology, you could try creating an earthcache. As long as it's developed around permanent geological features and not something that could be replaced or vandalized like a sign, it may never need maintenance. That's what we did when we visited Norway and placed an earthcache in Naerofjord.

Depending on what country you're in, you may need to get a local to help you with a local language version. When the earthcache rules changed, we ended up finding a Norwegian cacher to help us translate our earthcache description.

Thanks for the idea. I'll look into it.

Hello all,

Thanks for reading,

G McC

This doesn't answer your question but I gotta know. Which country is this? Every country started with just one cache.

It's sunny Somalia

Hello all,

Thanks for reading,

G McC

It's sunny Somalia

Okay. It looks like the only cache in Somalia has had only 3 legitimate finds since it was placed in 2014 (and one Found it log from someone that was "there" but did actually try to find it.) It sounds like it's in a spot where it could be easily muggled. I've found a couple of caches in next door neighbor Ethiopia that were both placed at hotels where someone visiting the country would likely stay. Perhaps you can talk with the proprietor of one of the hotels there and ask about hiding a cache on the property and if they'll act as a caretaker of the cache once you leave the country.