New Category Idea - National Cuisine

We have categories for Chinese, Thai, Japanese and Mexican restaurants.

What about all the German, Turkish, Moroccan, Indian, and ... and ... and ... restaurants?

I suggest a category called "National Cuisine" featuring independent restaurants that are specialized in food from a country other that the one they are located in - Polish restaurants in Germany, German restaurants in Poland, Turkish restaurants in Greece, Greek restaurants in Turkey - you get the idea.

I'm not sure if it would make things too complicated but I would like to include Regions other than Nations too - a Bavarian restaurant in Berlin for example would be considered pretty foreign by most locals.

However, it should be limited to independent restaurant and should not include National chains like Louisiana Shrimp, Hawaiian BBQ or Texas Grill.

I know, this is yet another "commercial" category, but I like the little Vietnamese, Greek, and Serbian restaurants (to name a few) in my neighborhood and would like to waymark them.

Let me know what you think.

I would think that most restaurants you mentioned would qualify in "Independent Diners" category?

Most in Canada that we have tried also serve "American" food: steak, hamburgers, seafood, etc. Or a combination of Vietnamese, Chinese, Cantonese, etc. Our local Chinese restaurant also has a buffet.

Sorry, I think this is going to be a hard sell as it looks to me as an opportunity for cross posting.

Interesting idea though.

What happened to: "New Category Proposal - People Named Natural Features Waymarkings mountains, rivers and lakes named after people" I liked this idea. :rolleyes:

Great Idea, i like these categories who collect orphans waymarks because not enough to have their own category.

Last time i took pictures of a Korean restaurant in Paris, happy to create a new waymark in a new category (for me), and i was really disapointed to discover this category does not exist.

Great Idea, i like these categories who collect orphans waymarks because not enough to have their own category.

Last time i took pictures of a Korean restaurant in Paris, happy to create a new waymark in a new category (for me), and i was really disapointed to discover this category does not exist.

Not too sure what an orphan waymark is, however as a test try submitting your Korean Restaurant in Independent Diners.

Edited by BK-Hunters

A waymark without a category to submit it is something like orphan, may be an another english word would be more appropriate.

Anyway, here is the category definition of "Independant diners"

This Category is for Privately Owned and Operated Diners and Cafes. NO FRANCHISES!

It's Independant Vs Franchise, of course the korean restaurant is independant and all national cuisine restaurants would be independant because they are not prevalent and it's not the same goal.

But we could also name this category - International Cuisine and for example in France you could submit all kind of restaurants except existing categories and French restaurant

I would think that most restaurants you mentioned would qualify in "Independent Diners" category?

I have no problem with "cross-registering", on the contrary: I like it when a place gives more than just one waymarker a chance to log it. But I understand your concerns.

When I think of diners, I think mostly of the kind of restaurant you would call "American." I would not think of a Korean or Moroccan restaurant as a "diner" but I see your point. We will have to be very specific with the definition. "American" probably wouldn't fly, but in Berlin, there is a "Californian" restaurant.

Is there such a thing as typical US-American food? In Germany, we have a joke: Every American knows three German towns: Hamburg, Frankfurt and Cheeseburg.

Lets discuss this a little bit more and hammer out the details.

What happened to: "New Category Proposal - People Named Natural Features Waymarkings mountains, rivers and lakes named after people" I liked this idea. :rolleyes:

Per your request, I posted the complete proposal in the Forum in September. I have been waiting for your response ever since :)

No, seriously: Thank you for the reminder. I will get back to it and revive it.

I suggested that these restaurant have categories and was shot down. I agree diner doesn't do it, diner is a specific type; casual, friendly down home cooking, Indian or Korean diner? Why not a multifarious category like religious buildings? It could be all regional cuisine not already covered.

I would not spend too much effort on this one. None of the reasons, that caused every resturant category to fail in the last years, has changed.

If you meant: "None of the reasons, that caused every restaurant category to fail in the last years, has NOT changed.

Then I agree, as stated earlier: "This will be a hard sell".

Edited by BK-Hunters