Need a new GPS

I need one that is EASY to use, water proof, and can down load cords. Also, is there an app I can put on his phone to locate his GPS? PLEASE advise!

Is he a paying member on Geocaching.com? In that case, you might run Pocket Queries for him and load his whole town, and beyond, on a GPSr (but remember that PQS as with any such loaded data, should be refresehed from time to time). Many GPSrs are waterproof. I've used Garmin Oregons and they are very configurable for ease of use.

As far as a phone App to locating a lost GPS, that's a whole new ballgame. There are Bluetooth tracker tags to "find a lost phone, find keys", etc. Attach the tag, set it up on its App, and you might find a lost tag when you're at a range closer than 300 feet. Some of the tag companies have networks that connect other users' Apps, so you could be notified if another user passes near your tag. One brand called "Tile" is a sealed waterproof tag. But that one must be purchased each year, it expires. The tags are kind of expensive, but there's a chance that a lost item may be recovered. A slight chance, maybe.

Edited by kunarion

My dad is an AVID geocacher. Unfortunately he is also VERY forgetful. He has lost yet another GPS. Desperately need to get him a new one. He lives for this sport. I need one that is EASY to use, water proof, and can down load cords. Also, is there an app I can put on his phone to locate his GPS? PLEASE advise!

Do you have any idea how/where he loses them? If he sets them down at a cache while signing the log, etc. he might be willing to use my method of guaranteeing that it is not lost. I have mine on a lanyard and it is ALWAYS hanging around my neck when not actually in my hand.

I lost my second Etrex 20 last weekend and looking for a replacement right now on gumtree.

First time a lanyard would have done the trick but last time I lost it while windsurfing. It was double baggied and inside a velcroed pocket of my bouyancy vest. Will need to make it more secure as I often have spectacular crashes on the water, especially when I'm travelling upwards of 20 knots. :shocked:

edited for typoes

Edited by colleda

My dad is an AVID geocacher. Unfortunately he is also VERY forgetful. He has lost yet another GPS. Desperately need to get him a new one. He lives for this sport. I need one that is EASY to use, water proof, and can down load cords. Also, is there an app I can put on his phone to locate his GPS? PLEASE advise!

The reliable workhorse Garmin Map6(x) series.

The Map60 is way out of date now and doesn't load the cache web pages.

The Map62 is still available some places. Loads cache web pages so you don't need a second device to read the cache page info. (Phone coverage is not always available.)

The Map64 is the newest in the series and in addition to web page downloading it also receives Russian satellites for added accuracy.

I've used the first two models starting in 2004 and will be getting a Map64s by year's end.

Each model number has different versions depending on what features you might want to add. If you go to the Garmin website you can click on different models and choose "compare" to see side-by-side spec sheets.

Edit: These units need a Garmin map program purchased separately in order to see local roads. With those maps the gps will "auto-route" you to caches or other locations. The maps also have a HUGE database of businesses like restaurants, motels, parks and much more.

Edited by Team Sagefox

Knowing what he owned is crucial -- even within Garmin models, there's a bit preference difference between 'button' units and 'touchscreen' units. Need some help here.

I agree 100%. I'm terrible with touchscreens. I don't even have a smartphone because I can't use them. I only work with a button unit. My long-time favorite is my Garmin 60Cx (which you can see on the cover of Cached Out) but they may not be available now. Mine just had a battery leakage emergency (with a battery only 3 weeks old). I almost threw it out when I couldn't get it to come on after cleaning it out thoroughly and loading new batteries, but I kept cleaning again and again, and it is working now sporadically. Ironically, I pulled out my even older Magellan SporTrak Pro, which I had kept as a backup and loaned to others when introducing someone new, but it, too had a battery leakage which has totally ruined the inside. I realized that I hadn't used it in over a year, maybe over two years. I shouldn't have left batteries in it.