Long Shot Idea

3billygoats

Hello, Everyone ...

I have a thought in the back of my mind as to why some travel bugs no longer circulate. Given our large, worldwide population of geocachers, there may be some who can no longer geocache due to reasons of health, family, work, etc. They may have left the sport while still in possession of travel bugs.

Some of these people may still occasionally visit the forums to see what is going and this note is addressed to them.

If you would like to send those travel bugs to me, I'll get them back in circulation. Please send me a note and I will provide my mailing address.

I do realize this is a very long shot as people who have given up on the sport will likely not visit the forums anymore. Nevertheless, thought I would give this a try and see what develops. Should this lead to any travel bugs being sent to me, I will post a follow-up note (notes?) to let people know what is happening.

Again - no need to tell me the probability of success is low, but ... nothing ventured, nothing gained.

All the best.

Curious if you're aware of how the forum works...

With every new thread started, eventually your "long shot" will go to the bottom of this forum page, and vaporize.

Add in the negligible percentage of cachers who ever read the forums, and your idea (posed before by others), kinda goes unnoticed.

A local cache group, or your blog are good places for your idea, as (in our experiences) most looking to leave the hobby would probably prefer to remain local (to get rid of stuff quickly). :)

The UK already has a trackable amnesty service thread pinned on these Groundspeak forums here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=262499

That's great, but I think the OP of this thread is in Alberta, Canada, judging by their owned cache location. ;)

I'm not sure why that means they can't use the UK example as a potential model? We're not that different over here! ;)

I agree, since Canada has the one forum (like the UK) it might work, pinned on top.

- Though looking at that thread (only 48 posts in five years) shows how few really notice.

Facebook might even be a better bet. :)

I'm not sure why that means they can't use the UK example as a potential model? We're not that different over here! ;)

Ah! I didn't know that was what you were suggesting. I thought you were saying, "We already have a TB rescue system going on; you should use it rather than posting in the forum." And that didn't make sense due to the different countries involved. :) I stand corrected.