Corrected Coordinate Transfer

RanTer84

I recently solved 77 mystery caches for a Geoart.

I made a PQ and downloaded into GSAK then downloaded to my Garmin Montana.

The caches all transferred but only with the original useless coordinates.

I went back to the search list which shows the corrected coordinates icon on each and opened each one and then sent each to my GPS.

They still were in my GPS as the original useless coordinates.

I have done this hundreds of times before with no issue.

Any idea what the problem might be?

Check the coords in GSAK again. The Corrected Coords are transferred with the PQ. The Correced Coords are just not indicated as such. That way you'll lack the yellow triangle in GSAK. There is a macro that will Global Replace the corrected status for you.

Hans

What is this yellow triangle that you are referring to?

It's the indicator that the coordinates are corrected. Please call GSAK's help file (F1) and search for "corrected".

And again: Have you checked the coords?

Hans

Edited by HHL

What is this yellow triangle that you are referring to?

It's the indicator that the coordinates are corrected. Please call GSAK's help file (F1) and search for "corrected".

And again: Have you checked the coords?

Hans

How are you transferring or creating a gpx file? Not only do I have to make sure the puzzles are refreshed from GC but I have to make sure the box is checked to retain the corrected coords when I create a gpx file.

[....]

How are you transferring or creating a gpx file? Not only do I have to make sure the puzzles are refreshed from GC but I have to make sure the box is checked to retain the corrected coords when I create a gpx file.

Transfer from GS to PC:

1. PQ

2. Single Cache page GPX file

3. Get Caches via the Api

Transfer from GSAK to GPSr:

1. Export with export macro "GarminExport.gsk"

2. Export with menu "Send Waypoints ..."

3. Export with right click "Send to Gpsr now ..."

I always correct the coords within GSAK - never on the web site.

Why use gsak? This is just adding one or more unnecessary steps. I just keep a solved puzzle list and create a PQ from that.

Why not use GSAK? There's so much more it can do that can't be done on the website/PQs.

1. Because my primary computer is a mac and I'm not willing to jump through the hoops necessary to run GSAK on a mac just for this functionality.

2. Because GSAK (at least the non-nagware) version costs $30 in addition to the PM membership fees.

I on the other hand only correct on the website but I exclusively use the API. If you are using PQ's than correcting in GSAK works better. Also by correcting on the website they are corrected if wherever I go and whatever computer I am on.

And if you're using a mobile app for backup or primary, the corrected coords will get automatically picked up by the mobile app whenever it refreshes the cache listings.

Why use gsak? This is just adding one or more unnecessary steps. I just keep a solved puzzle list and create a PQ from that.

Why not use GSAK? There's so much more it can do that can't be done on the website/PQs.

1. Because my primary computer is a mac and I'm not willing to jump through the hoops necessary to run GSAK on a mac just for this functionality.

2. Because GSAK (at least the non-nagware) version costs $30 in addition to the PM membership fees.

I installed wine and then GSAK, then jumped through the hoops of getting it to actually log in to GC (needs a windows PC - which I only have at work). Works OK, seems clunky?? The authorisation credential (or whatever) seems to randomly need re-doing at the most inopportune times every couple of months, so I ended up not bothering with it.

The authorisation credential (or whatever) seems to randomly need re-doing at the most inopportune times every couple of months, so I ended up not bothering with it.

Authorization is needed every 90 days to access API for EVERY API capable software. GSAK reminds you a few days in advance (user definable).

I installed wine and then GSAK, then jumped through the hoops of getting it to actually log in to GC (needs a windows PC - which I only have at work). Works OK, seems clunky?? The authorisation credential (or whatever) seems to randomly need re-doing at the most inopportune times every couple of months, so I ended up not bothering with it.

If I did try to run GSAK on my mac, I would do it with Wine. It seems a lot less intrusive than installing a dual boot application (and partitioning ones disc drive, on installing Windows on it)). I actually use VirtualBox for other development occasionally but haven't loaded a windows image into it. If one needs a windows PC to authenticate every 90 days, it might be easier just to get an inexpensive PC for running GSAK.

I too wish GSAK can be use on Macs. That is why I switched from Mac to Windows. That and Macs are more expensive. I've always love Macs from my first one Performa. But got tired of going back and forth between the two computers.