How do I enter coordinates.

Allen G0CRB

Hi all me again .. Having just got back in Geocaching I can not remember how to enter co-ords into my GPS Ie....I have a Garmin Oregon 450t.I normally download the cache I want from computer into my Garmin,Then I press on geocaching icon then select the cache then press the compass and follow to the cache all ok Not a problem...MY problem... Sometimes you have to find co-ords from clues.So I have worked out the clues got the correct Co-ords so I now have,Lets say N5217.412 W00146.957 How do I enter the numbers into my Garmin and be able to get to the compass icon.So I am able to follow to the hidden cach !!!! I have tried entering the numbers on "where to"Icon.Then I enter the nubers for the coordinates. Hit the green tick..Now I goto my compass for directions that I had entered and the co-ords are know where to be seen... Please explain "1" How do I enter the Co-ords into my Oregon 450 and "2" How do I get the compass to work with the entered co-ords to show me the directions,Where to go Thanks .

You may mark a waypoint, then edit its coordinates. This way, you have it stored for later use.

In the menu, tap the “Mark Waypoint” icon. Tap “Save and Edit”. Now change the location to the new coordinates you've found. And change the name to something memorable. And save that.

Edited by kunarion

Hi all me again .. Having just got back in Geocaching I can not remember how to enter co-ords into my GPS Ie....I have a Garmin Oregon 450t.I normally download the cache I want from computer into my Garmin,Then I press on geocaching icon then select the cache then press the compass and follow to the cache all ok Not a problem...MY problem... Sometimes you have to find co-ords from clues.So I have worked out the clues got the correct Co-ords so I now have,Lets say N5217.412 W00146.957 How do I enter the numbers into my Garmin and be able to get to the compass icon.So I am able to follow to the hidden cach !!!! I have tried entering the numbers on "where to"Icon.Then I enter the nubers for the coordinates. Hit the green tick..Now I goto my compass for directions that I had entered and the co-ords are know where to be seen... Please explain "1" How do I enter the Co-ords into my Oregon 450 and "2" How do I get the compass to work with the entered co-ords to show me the directions,Where to go Thanks .

I don't know if your Garmin has the same menu as my etrex but somewhere there may be a menu selection "Enter Next Stage". That's where you enter the coords to continue on and the compass will comply.

I have tried entering the numbers on "where to"Icon.Then I enter the nubers for the coordinates. Hit the green tick..Now I goto my compass for directions that I had entered and the co-ords are know where to be seen...

The process you described above should work to navigate to a set of coordinates. You may not be shown the coordinates that you're navigating to on the compass page, but it should still be navigating to them nevertheless.

The way I do it personally is the method kunarion described: mark a waypoint (which will default to your current coordinates), edit the coordinates to the desired ones, then navigate to that waypoint. That way the coordinates will still be stored in case you need to stop navigating for whatever reason.

Thank you so much for the info.I followed the info ie..In to the "mark waypoint".save and edit.now I enter the co-ords and hit the green tick.now I change the "change name" lets just say ALLAN04, now i hit the green tick.This is where it gets me. I now hit the red cross on bottom left hand corner on Garmin. I'm now on my main menu .I hit the "Where to icon" Now I hit the "Waypoints line" I now hit the line that I had entered lets say the AllAN04.all ok so far.But now I get the ordance map appear with a green box with the Go bottom rt hand side of Garmin. I hit go and now I get do u want to simulate driving yes/no move location ?? Er no I want my compass on screen so I can follow to the cach.This is the bit I'm stuck on lol.. ( Getting the ALLAN04 onto the compass ) Sorry guys for being a pain.

Thank you so much for the info.I followed the info ie..In to the "mark waypoint".save and edit.now I enter the co-ords and hit the green tick.now I change the "change name" lets just say ALLAN04, now i hit the green tick.This is where it gets me. I now hit the red cross on bottom left hand corner on Garmin. I'm now on my main menu .I hit the "Where to icon" Now I hit the "Waypoints line" I now hit the line that I had entered lets say the AllAN04.all ok so far.But now I get the ordance map appear with a green box with the Go bottom rt hand side of Garmin.

Tap "Go" and you will be directed to the waypoint as your have set up your GPSr. What is your Oregon 450 set to do?

I hit go and now I get do u want to simulate driving yes/no move location ?? Er no I want my compass on screen so I can follow to the cach.This is the bit I'm stuck on lol.. ( Getting the ALLAN04 onto the compass ) Sorry guys for being a pain.

Now you've got complications. If it's "driving", your GPSr is set to do "Automobile Driving" street routing. In this case, the compass will point to the next turn of the route to the waypoint, and not directly to the waypoint. You bring up the compass from the main menu. "Automobile Driving" is great for the map, when driving to a distant cache, but it is useless for a waypoint in walking distance, using the Compass. In "Automobile Driving", the compass will always try to guide you to a street. A cache container is almost never on the traffic path of a street. :anicute:

Try this: In the main menu, tap "Profile Change" and select "Geocaching". If the Geocaching profile is set to the factory default "Direct Routing", then the compass will correctly point to the waypoint. If you want to select between "automotive" and "direct route", consider setting up two different profiles for this purpose (such as Geocaching and Automotive), rather than changing settings every time. Then you'd simply switch profiles to switch between street routing and direct routing. On my GPSr, I've copied the "Geocaching Profile" and named the copy "Caching Car", and each profile has its own independent settings, completely customized, to switch easily. But you may do fine with just using the built-in Automotive and Geocaching profiles.

I believe the reason it asks to "simulate driving" is because the GPSr is both set to "Automobile Driving" (street routing) and it simply has not gotten a GPS lock (the GPSr has not had enough time to figure out its location, before you selected the waypoint). Do you know people locally who can get you all straightened out? All of this may take a while. :anicute:

I'm concerned that your GPSr has been kind of randomly set up, with no particular plan. This will cause confusion when Geocaching.

Edited by kunarion

First I thought that I would try HHL info.So now I press where to.I select waypoints,Then I select Allan04.Bottom rt hd corner I now press the big Go. I get arriving at Allan04.."Do you want to simulate driving this rout ? Now my options are Yes NO Move to location.I press NO.. Now I get a map trip with oddmeter.I now press the X bottom left.I now have the main menu back on screen.Now I press the "where to" Now I press find another.Now I press Waypoints.I recon I must be going round in a circle. I'm sorry I know you are all trying very hard to help me.Do You think if I set it all back to manufacture settings it would help me .I understand if you give up on my 65 year old Brain ,,Thanks

Do You think if I set it all back to manufacture settings it would help me .

Yes, it would correct any wayward settings. Be aware that the whole "Geocaching" profile is by default set to the way Garmin would Geocache, not the way any normal person would. For example, there's a way-cool "Geocaching Dashboard" at the top of the screen that points to the nearest cache, even if you're routing to a waypoint. That's what the "Geocaching Dashboard" is supposed to do, but you must remember that it does that.

If you reset the Garmin Oregon, now you can switch to the Geocaching Profile. Wait for the GPSr to obtain its location (outdoors for a few minutes, you should see your current location on the map). Then select a waypoint and click Go. Then switch to the compass. The Geocaching Profile uses direct routing, so it points right at the waypoint.

If you wish to drive to the waypoint (too far to walk), now switch to the Automotive Profile. Once you park, switch back to the Geocaching Profile.

Edited by kunarion

Alternately, and to avoid a lot of switching about, I always use a purpose built automotive GPS for the driving part, leaving the cache finding part to the handheld. There are too many driving features NOT included in the handhelds like an Oregon 450 that can be valuable when navigating by car to the location (e.g., real time traffic, closed lane/road information, spoken navigation directions, etc.). Honestly, while it's possible to use the handheld for driving, it's just not as good a solution.

while it's possible to use the handheld for driving, it's just not as good a solution.

+1

I load a choice cache or two into my Nuvi, to get me around an unfamiliar area. I have street routing on my Garmin Oregon, but the Nuvi is optimized for street routing. Plus, a lot of Nuvis have lifetime free map updates.

For the purposes of the OP's Topic, selecting direct routing should fix the problem, if my diagnosis of the problem is correct. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion