Is Waymarking "Just a Game"?

T0SHEA

There's more to it.

Is it the competitive "game" aspect that can make it painful to have a post denied or a visit deleted?

It is the time spent filling out logs to have them deleted that makes it painful for me. I could care less about my stats. Oh well. If people are just going to delete my Waymarks and hardly anyone finds them anyway, this game/interest/hobby isn't for me.

There's more to it.

Is it the competitive "game" aspect that can make it painful to have a post denied or a visit deleted?

If one aspect of the "Game" is competitive, then who are the players and how is the "Game" played? Or is it the waymarker/reviewer who denies or deletes a visit that this person automatically becomes the enemy/opponent?

So a waymarker/reviewer may unknowingly be part of this aspect of the "game". Unaware that their action caused someone pain, and in some cases the injured participant decides not to continue playing the "Game".

Is this aspect of the "Game" only have two players, one may be unaware of his participation, and the waymarker who suffered pain?

Of course this aspect of the "Game" can have rotating players and 1000s of combinations.

Edited by BK-Hunters

I was thinking more like this. In the hurry to get one more (icon, state, country, bingo, calendar day, windmill, waymark) than the other player(s), I might fail to pay attention to category-specific requirements.

My own guilty pleasures are the maps, the grid icons and my slump record.

Is Waymarking "Just a Game"?

On a personal note: Waymarking is a scrapbook filled with pictures and in some cases a journal of personal experiences. It is about the places we visited, people we encountered along the way and a recorded history of our adventures in Waymarking.

At any moment we can bring up past waymarks and revisit them to be enjoyed once again.

It certainly has a game aspect. At least it fits most of the available definitions for "game", although it is a bit weak on the side of direct interaction between the participants. And the goal is not clearly defined, any player can set the goals they like, but there are many games like that.

I think the important word is not "game" but "just". Is it *just* a game?

Yes, and no. It is not just a game, it is more. At least, it can be. It can be like a location based diary, instead of a standard time based one. It makes you learn a lot about places and its history, this also includes research techniques, and it makes you publish this acquired knowledge. It makes you take pictures, so you also learn how to make better pictures, just because you make a lot of them. And the best thing, it makes you go out to actually visit these places, to be there and maybe feel the spirit of history or nature or whatever.

But when it comes to all the stuff that make so many people upset and angry - unjustified denials, abandoned categories, server problems and so on - then it is just a game.

Come on, it's just a game, don't take it too serious and don't let it dominate your life! There's plenty of other nice things outside.

Edited by fi67
  • Upvote 1

fi67, I do not know about Switzerland weather at the moment, however I don't do snow and glad to have Waymarking to keep those cold days of winter outside where it belongs.

Well, I meant outside of Waymarking, this does not have to be outdoors.

Here the weather is still perfect for pictures, slowly getting colder, but dry and sunny. The only problem is that it gets dark too early. So my backlog is shrinking.

Waymarking was never a game to me, it was an interest. Smartphones have been a game changer to me, Waymarking was only about taking photos of things that I found interesting and posting them online to share, WM's don't get visits anyway.

Now, I take pictures with my phone and they are uploaded to my Flickr account on my PC when I get home.

Maybe Waymarking is a game, and I was just playing it wrong. :(

WM's don't get visits anyway.

Funny how that works out, we get visits almost daily, I suppose everything is relative to the number of approved waymarks. :rolleyes:

We do not visit our waymarks.

I guess it has to do with how many WM's you own, and if there are other Waymarkers playing in the area.

I've tried submitting WM's in tourist areas, and a few historical markers got a visit or two.

I'm guessing it is all about a good location that many people visit is what makes a good WM.

I visit waymarks three times as often as I create them. Most of my visits are in very ordinary locations, not tourist centres.

Yes in the early days I was silly enough to visit 90 of my own waymarks. However, that still leaves more than 3200 creations of other waymarkers that I have visited. Waymarkers' creations are being visited by me. I can't be the only waymarker visiting waymarks.

Edited by elyob