Real to virtual.

JCB1705

Does any one know if it is possible to change a real TB into a virtual TB? The reason for doing so would be for example, if a TB, along with its attached "totem" etc, has been muggles or lost several times and the CO(s) just want to keep the TB alive but not at the expense of constantly replacing it. If it is possible then any guidance on how to do it would be greatly appreciated.

If you are asking if the TB or geocoin (trackable) tracking ID code can be continued to be used/circulated after the original TB tag or geocoin has been taken out of circulation (IE: disappears/lost/muggled/stolen/damaged) and is "out there" somewhere but you the owner has no clue where. The short answer is yes. However, there are circumstances, risks if you will, that a "pro-active" trackable owner must consider and formulate a plan of action to handle and address re-appearances as described in a moment. (Pro-active meaning that you just don't release and forget but monitor the activity logs emailed to you) The most obvious for a reuse/remake trackable is how to handle the situation when the original or a part thereof reappears and is logged. Meaning there are multiple holders and log activity for the same trackable ID code from multiple and different cachers. To say the least the situation can and will get confusing for all involved... when one TB holder is playing/logging activity then another logs a grab and starts logging as a new holder. Communication is the key before, during and after releasing a remake/replacement trackable (TB/geocoin). How often does the resurrection of a trackable occur? I can only speak for myself and that would be three out of 25 since 2012. And again for me only 3 or 4 of the 25 are still circulating as the originally released tag/coin/proxy. As with anything you the owner must determine which course of action and risk are worthy. Safe journeys!

Edited by KASCAN

One section in the Help Center, on trackables etiquette reads,"Virtual trackables with virtual logs are not encouraged. It is up to the trackable owner to state if they allow this, and delete any bogus logs".

If a ton of discover logs is your thing, I suppose you could just post your trackable with the code visible on the trackable's page for a while, or have a paper with the codes for events, and they'll be "virtual" in no time.

However, if you start a thread later grumbling that you're getting way too many logs on your "virtual" trackables, you asked for it... :)

I suppose you could just post your trackable with the code visible on the trackable's page for a while, or have a paper with the codes for events, and they'll be "virtual" in no time.

I share a few of my geocoins virtually by displaying the tracking numbers on their page, and you would be surprised that mine have never got the ton's of logs that would be expected. :)

However most of them are from Austria. :anicute:

Does any one know if it is possible to change a real TB into a virtual TB? The reason for doing so would be for example, if a TB, along with its attached "totem" etc, has been muggles or lost several times and the CO(s) just want to keep the TB alive but not at the expense of constantly replacing it. If it is possible then any guidance on how to do it would be greatly appreciated.

You may re-use your TB tracking number on an article of clothing, or as a decal on a car, or as a tag on a dog collar or whatever. To reduce confusion, add the information about the change, and make some appropriate logs, so that previous finders know what changed, and so that it's easier for you to understand what's going on if the actual tag shows up again.

I've revived most of my "lost" coins and TBs, but they stay with me. Maybe I'll bring one to an Event so people may discover it. Or I may do a "Visit" to select caches. But that's about it, for now. No cache-to-cache travel.

If your TB has mysteriously vanished (not verified destroyed, for example), it might turn up again. I wait for at least a year after a taker made a "Retrieve log" if he then seems to have left the game, or if there is a cache log that or message that my TB is gone. But if mine turn up again in such cases, it's been up to 18 months later. So one year may be too soon. For a TB, I'm guessing the thieves covet the attachment, and destroy or discard the evidence (the trackable tag), so it's most likely to never reappear. But for Geocoins with their inscribed numbers, by some miracle an honest person may exist in the taker's family (or a responsible friend may exist), and then the coin could return to play. So I'd be less inclined to revive a coin and place it for cache-to-cache travel. But a TB is probably suitable as a new "Virtual" as you may plan, once you're pretty sure the original is gone for good.

Edited by kunarion

Does any one know if it is possible to change a real TB into a virtual TB? The reason for doing so would be for example, if a TB, along with its attached "totem" etc, has been muggles or lost several times and the CO(s) just want to keep the TB alive but not at the expense of constantly replacing it.

What would be the purpose???

Trackables disappear. It is "virtually" guaranteed that most of them will disappear somewhere, sometime. Why is there a need for eternal life for a simple little object? Virtual logs won't be real - the trackable won't exist. I can't figure out why anyone would even want fake logs for a trackable that hasn't been found.

When they disappear we can release the Copy Tag or a proxy. These are REAL things that REAL people can FIND and log. If they are gone we can mark them as missing.

We can just buy another tag. They are not that expensive.

When appropriate, I add art and tracking numbers to my Wherigo's. I find a coin that has gone (lost and Missing) and if the coin makes sense I add it to the game as part of the game. Like for example I have a pendent coin that is part of the game when you find it you need to give it to it's owner in the cartridge. In another game I have a six Shooter shaped coin as the players six shooter in the game.