Monday night get-together (tonight 8/12/02)

fractal

Bald Peak State Park (south of Hillsboro) currently has 3 caches in it (one of them being my Low-Medium-High). Bald Peak also has a spectacular view of the Perseid Meteor Shower. Shinwa and I were up there last night and we saw some amazing stuff in the sky!

We'll be up there again tonight shortly after it get's dark. It would be great to join up with some local cachers to watch this event, and bag a couple of caches while there icon_smile.gif

If you'd like to join, here's the approx. lat/lon:

N 45° 23.741

W123° 03.348

The park elevation is about 1600 feet, and can get pretty windy, so dress accordingly. When you pull into the park, go to the right and park near the turn-around area. To the right of it (NE) is a large field that is perfect for laying out on blankets and looking up.

I'll be out in the field. To find me, look for the green glow-stick. I'll also have my FRS radio with me, channel 5 code 0.

It's usually a pretty good show, so come and check it out!

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45° 30.ish

W 122° 58.ish

quote:
Originally posted by LaurenCat:

gosh fractal, you picked the worst night for me. sounds fun, though. maybe i'll go up to the roof of my building and see if i can see any meteors there.

If there's gravity, then how you explain birds!?!

Sorry LaurenCat! If I had enough magical powers to control the heavens, I would have told the meteors to fall on another night, just for you icon_wink.gif

-fractal

Too bad -- I don't think it's in the cards for me tonight. I have to do some work at home. Something has made these holes in my roof the past night or two and I need to fix them. They're burned around the edges, as if it was something hot. The holes go right through the house, but all I ever find are rocks. Very strange. Then something evaporated most of the water out of my spa. But again, all I found was a rock. I wish I knew why someone is leaving me rocks. icon_confused.gif

...but don't know yet as hubby would need to go with me clear out there. We've found Low-Med-Hi-, but not the other 2. Could use some more finds. We weren't able to got out this weekend, and I was very disappointed!

I hear the best time for viewing is 1-5am.Wouldn't be able to stay up that late I don't think, and that's even if we do make it! Is it visible earier in the night?

Last meteor shower we saw from a hot tub, nude with drinks in hand. Can ya' beat that, fractal?

(Sorry for the visual)

icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by dasein:

I hear the best time for viewing is 1-5am.Wouldn't be able to stay up that late I don't think, and that's even if we do make it! Is it visible earier in the night?

Last meteor shower we saw from a hot tub, nude with drinks in hand. Can ya' beat that, fractal?

(Sorry for the visual)

icon_eek.gif

Uhm... no.. I can not beat that.. you win. heh

When we were out there last night from 10:30-11:30, we saw plenty... Even though those hours you listed are the best, other hours are great as well.

-fractal

Just got home from Bald Peak. What a beautiful night for watching a meteor shower - although the frequency of sightings made it more of a meteor trickle. Granted, I didn't stay long enough to see the grand finale. Had fun shooting the breeze (quite a warm breeze at that) with fractal, Soup and Quantum Mechanic. Also managed to add those two other caches to my found list.

fractal - thanks for the invite.

soup - thanks for helping me locate the gopher cache.

QM - sorry my dog kept growling at you icon_smile.gif

-

What a nice night. It was fun chatting with cachers, and watching the meteors fall. I was only in a t-shirt and wasnt cold at all. The motorcycle trip there and back was very fun.

So fractal, what did the cops say to everyone? They told me to get out of the park! heh heh.

"I put instant soup in a microwave and almost went back in time." -Stephen Wright

quote:
Originally posted by soup:

So fractal, what did the cops say to everyone? They told me to get out of the park! heh heh.

Yeah.. They showed up not too long after you guys left.. They made everyone leave! The officer that showed up the night before had no problems with everyone there.. Oh well.. The show wasn't as spectacular as the night before...

I'm going to use up the rest of that film at the airshow this Sunday night and get the pics developed after that. If anything good comes out, I'll be sure and post it.

-fractal

I'd like to go see the meteor showers (they're much less environmentally taxing than meteor baths) but I don't have a way to get out into the hinterlands. If there is anyone planning to drive from downtown Portland, or anywhere near a MAX or bus stop, and would like to have a fellow passenger, please email me at dreeble@earthlink.net.

quote:
Originally posted by fractal:

Bald Peak State Park (south of Hillsboro) currently has 3 caches in it (one of them being my Low-Medium-High). Bald Peak also has a spectacular view of the http://www.space.com/spacewatch/perseids_spacewatch_020809.html. Shinwa and I were up there last night and we saw some amazing stuff in the sky!

We'll be up there again tonight shortly after it get's dark. It would be great to join up with some local cachers to watch this event, and bag a couple of caches while there icon_smile.gif

If you'd like to join, here's the approx. lat/lon:

N 45° 23.741

W123° 03.348

The park elevation is about 1600 feet, and can get pretty windy, so dress accordingly. When you pull into the park, go to the right and park near the turn-around area. To the right of it (NE) is a large field that is perfect for laying out on blankets and looking up.

I'll be out in the field. To find me, look for the green glow-stick. I'll also have my FRS radio with me, channel 5 code 0.

It's usually a pretty good show, so come and check it out!

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45° 30.ish

W 122° 58.ish

I missed the fun last time. The Leonid shower is tonight. Is there a good place that stays open after dark?